Fri 3rd-Sun 5th May: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

11 hours ago, Fevrover said:

That's that then,i thought Sheffield would have run you closer then that.

I think we understimate just how much the Championship as a whole has moved backwards this past couple of seasons. Sheffield do look a best of the rest team but 3-5 years ago its probably a team scraping in the playoffs. Wakefield have the weakest Championship in years and a team that would likely finish bottom 2 in SL and isn't really a patch on the Leigh promotion team. A very similar situation to Fev last season but Wakey have the added bonus that they will be back in SL next season. 

London coming down should make the Championship a really good contest from next year though presuming they are the only team that does come down.

• Like 3

I don’t like the way Sheffield play, never have, but you really do have to admire them, how they keep going on such a tight budget and small crowds is beyond me. I thought they would have been a bit closer to Wakey, but there is no substitute for size and pace, which in this league, Wakey have. That said, I don’t think they are anywhere near as good as the Leigh team that got promoted from the Championship.

1 minute ago, Expatknight said:

I don’t like the way Sheffield play, never have, but you really do have to admire them, how they keep going on such a tight budget and small crowds is beyond me. I thought they would have been a bit closer to Wakey, but there is no substitute for size and pace, which in this league, Wakey have. That said, I don’t think they are anywhere near as good as the Leigh team that got promoted from the Championship.

Subjective, but then Trinity don't need to be. I dont think anyone benefits from teams racking up 100 points, which I'm sure Leigh did a few times that season. 

Forwards wise I think we're not that far off, backs, especially the halves, need some serious improvements. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think we understimate just how much the Championship as a whole has moved backwards this past couple of seasons. Sheffield do look a best of the rest team but 3-5 years ago its probably a team scraping in the playoffs. Wakefield have the weakest Championship in years and a team that would likely finish bottom 2 in SL and isn't really a patch on the Leigh promotion team. A very similar situation to Fev last season but Wakey have the added bonus that they will be back in SL next season. 

This is exactly what is happening and I have said as much on the Trinity forum a few times this year, from well before the season started, there isn't another good team in the Championship by the standards of recent years to challenge them (hardly surprising when everyone else is spending 1/3 or less than what they are) and for future prospects they need to be measuring themselves against SL standards not the opposition they will face this year.As you mention, a decidedly vulnerable Fev team steamrollered much of the league last year.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

14 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Sheffield looked the best team we have played this season and played with some slick rugby. Thackrey was good for them. However they couldn't cope with Wakeys pack 

Fair assessment.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Those 'floodlights' are very poor . The ground doesn't even have a scoreboard or a  clock . I think they are just having to do the best they can pending a better stadium. However, Sheffield are a great club and still amaze me how they keep such a good team season after season with small crowds in a City that is not traditionally rugby League . 

Yes it has a scoreboard.

And a clock.

I was sat opposite one and next to the other.

The lights, though, are poor.  Not what we were promised.   By a long chalk.

3 hours ago, Expatknight said:

I don’t like the way Sheffield play, never have......

🤣

Apologies for never having been able to come up to your high standards over the last forty years.

14 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Sheffield looked the best team we have played this season and played with some slick rugby. Thackrey was good for them. However they couldn't cope with Wakeys pack 

Spot on. As happy as I am to be top and unbeaten, I get the impression Powell's realized we can just bash teams down the middle. Rodwell, Atoni and Uele are too big and too fit for this league. Thought Sheffield played some very good rugby tbf but couldn't break us down. Not gonna lie didn't like the ground much. Still a wins a win 7 from 7 up the train.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Yes it has a scoreboard.

And a clock.

I was sat opposite one and next to the other.

The lights, though, are poor.  Not what we were promised.   By a long chalk.

Well I could spot neither, I even asked some Sheffield fans and they said did not have them. 

51 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Well I could spot neither, I even asked some Sheffield fans and they said did not have them. 

Scoreboard next to home dugout.

Clock over tunnel.

I assume you'd overindulged in the excellent alcoholic beverages on offer.😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wakeyranger said:

Spot on. As happy as I am to be top and unbeaten, I get the impression Powell's realized we can just bash teams down the middle. Rodwell, Atoni and Uele are too big and too fit for this league. Thought Sheffield played some very good rugby tbf but couldn't break us down. Not gonna lie didn't like the ground much. Still a wins a win 7 from 7 up the train.

No trains but there were a few trams going past.  Technically, they are railways rather than trams at that point.

Edited by Griff
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Griff said:

No trains but there were a few trams going past.  Technically, they are railways rather than trams at that point.

Wakefield fans do seem to have a liking for trains.

• Haha 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Griff said:

🤣

Apologies for never having been able to come up to your high standards over the last forty years.

Not a question of not coming up to my high standards, that isn’t what I said , what I said was I don’t like the way Sheffield play, generally slowing down the ruck speed and looking for penalties, it may be effective, but in my opinion, for what it’s worth, it isn’t attractive. But what do I know?

Edited by Expatknight

42 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Not a question of not coming up to my high standards, that isn’t what I said , what I said was I don’t like the way Sheffield play, generally slowing down the ruck speed and looking for penalties, it may be effective, but in my opinion, for what it’s worth, it isn’t attractive. But what do I know?

Well, there's a question.

That sounds very much like a "the-referee-gave-them-penalties-that-weren't-penalties-and-never-gave-us-anything" argument.

And maybe you should reconsider "never".  Forty years is a very long time.

Full time, 21 v 38. Thanks to HWD radio for an entertaining commentary. 

5 hours ago, Griff said:

Well, there's a question.

That sounds very much like a "the-referee-gave-them-penalties-that-weren't-penalties-and-never-gave-us-anything" argument.

And maybe you should reconsider "never".  Forty years is a very long time.

Where did I say that about the referees? What I said is they play for penalties which is totally different, as for never I will concede that, I should have said since being coached by Aston. My opinion, that’s all, like I said, what do I know? I have only been involved in Rugby League for 50 plus years on both sides of the planet.

There is no comparison to the Leigh and Wakefield Team. Leigh’s team was a ready made SL team and if anything is as strong as it is now. 

Ehat Wakefield do have though is SL experience and FT conditioning. In the championship, that’s all you need.

Difficult to contain up the guys rugby with a conditioned team and Wakey will do this day in and day out against the better sides to grind them down. 

Dis relegation suit Wakefield ?  Absolutely. The club and fans will realise it’s something that should have happened years ago. Up to them to consolidate and build especially with IMG pulling the strings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

Where did I say that about the referees? What I said is they play for penalties which is totally different, as for never I will concede that, I should have said since being coached by Aston. My opinion, that’s all, like I said, what do I know? I have only been involved in Rugby League for 50 plus years on both sides of the planet.

Ah - it's just a personal grudge, then.

9 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

There is no comparison to the Leigh and Wakefield Team. Leigh’s team was a ready made SL team and if anything is as strong as it is now. 

Ehat Wakefield do have though is SL experience and FT conditioning. In the championship, that’s all you need.

Difficult to contain up the guys rugby with a conditioned team and Wakey will do this day in and day out against the better sides to grind them down. 

Dis relegation suit Wakefield ?  Absolutely. The club and fans will realise it’s something that should have happened years ago. Up to them to consolidate and build especially with IMG pulling the strings. 

Perfect scenario for Wakefield in the timing of their relegation. You feel if it had happened before that then they may have really struggled but with the timing of the takeover and actually cracking on with the ground redevlopment this is certainly a really good platform to build from and for them winning week after week is going to help in so many other areas as well.

• Like 3

The Sportsman live stream's started. Looks like the weather's suspiciously good for a Bank Holiday weekend.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson