Applications to League 1 Open

55 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Goole's new stadium looks nice but not mad keen on the guy's comment about expansion areas all being a waste of time due to a lack of interest in RL.

New stadium? I thought they played at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds?

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Both of these places are the sort you want in the (semi)professional RL ranks.

Exactly. We need more teams from new areas like this.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Do you think Goole or Bedford or whoever would use their existing players, they would have to recruit L1 standard players? 

I would imagine they would need to recruit basically a new team, where as a top end NCL team wouldn't have to recruit as much

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Do you want them back?

They never went away.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Damien said:

Exactly. We need more teams from new areas like this.

110%. We'll be much better with the RFL working on an environment for 10s/100s of new League 1 level clubs around the country like this.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

Do you think Goole or Bedford or whoever would use their existing players, they would have to recruit L1 standard players? 

Bedford would need a lot of new players i guess, the only teams up to that standard in the south are Wests and Hammersmith and i assume their players can't play semi-pro due to visa restrictions for the aussies/kiwis they rely on.

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I would imagine they would need to recruit basically a new team, where as a top end NCL team wouldn't have to recruit as much

I wonder what commitment to local talent they'd have. From memory Cornwall commit to a third of their squad being from the South West. I would hope that the player pool is big enough to support any new team though or the whole venture is pointless anyway.

2 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I wonder what commitment to local talent they'd have. From memory Cornwall commit to a third of their squad being from the South West. I would hope that the player pool is big enough to support any new team though or the whole venture is pointless anyway.

Google wouldn’t have any problems recruiting as they’re in between Wakefield and Hull so they’re surrounded by players 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Google wouldn’t have any problems recruiting as they’re in between Wakefield and Hull so they’re surrounded by players 

They also have a fantastic ability to search for players.. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Expansion teams aren't just populated by local players though. Bedford is about as far away from the heartlands as St Helens is from Hull. There have been plenty of players that have gone back and forth between Saints and the Hull teams.

8 minutes ago, RP London said:

They also have a fantastic ability to search for players.. 

They are also a massive global company. It’s about time we attracted some blue chip sponsors 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

They are also a massive global company. It’s about time we attracted some blue chip sponsors 😂

2 birds and all that... 

In Union I support Gloucester and have just put the question out on a fans forum to gauge opinion.

For me the positives are we have an artificial pitch so can make more use of it but travel wise especially cost would be an issue. 

27 minutes ago, Phil W said:

In Union I support Gloucester and have just put the question out on a fans forum to gauge opinion.

For me the positives are we have an artificial pitch so can make more use of it but travel wise especially cost would be an issue. 

What question? Feel free to keep the results to yourself.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Seeing Gloucester RU report big losses every year as it is I highly doubt they'd be interested. 

11 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I presume it was whether the fatties would be interested in doing anything other than waddling between line outs and scrums

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

If a league team would be of interest. Not everyone likes either league or union some of us liked both. This weekend I was at Tottenham Stadium watching Gloucester v The Sharks on Friday night. Sunday afternoon was spent watching Newcastle Thunder v Rochdale at Gateshead. 

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Phil W said:

If a league team would be of interest. Not everyone likes either league or union some of us liked both. This weekend I was at Tottenham Stadium watching Gloucester v The Sharks on Friday night. Sunday afternoon was spent watching Newcastle Thunder v Rochdale at Gateshead. 

Fascinating 

• Sad 1

• Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Are there any other RL clubs in Bedford? The only way any new professional club, especially outside the heartlands, can be sustainable in the long term and add something to RL in general is to build a strong community game in their local area