Leigh granted elite academy license from 2025

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Looks like Salford have had theirs awarded also

Just saw that on the TRL twitter feed.

Well done to both clubs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Posted (edited)

I assume the limit (imposed at the time of the last awards) on the number of 'heartlands' based academies has now been lifted/relaxed in light of London and Newcastle closing their elite academies.

Edited by Barley Mow

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Apparently 40 leigh born lads in Elite system at other clubs.

I suppose the difficulty will be persuading the better players to sign for Leigh. It's something that hasn't really happened at youth level in my lifetime. Maybe Beaumont and Leigh's new standing can change that.

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Doesn't surprise me.

With stability and hopefully with a SL club to play for, Leigh will keep the kids and become a self sustained SL club for many years to come.

The amount of Leigh born players snapped up by Wigan, Saints and Warrington over the years has been depressing. Over to you Degsy !!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Doesn't surprise me.

With stability and hopefully with a SL club to play for, Leigh will keep the kids and become a self sustained SL club for many years to come.

The amount of Leigh born players snapped up by Wigan, Saints and Warrington over the years has been depressing. Over to you Degsy !!

And also in nearby Lowton,  Warrington have had a few of those...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Looks like Salford have had theirs awarded also

How will both these additional academies impact community clubs, given the proliferation of academies already in the NW?

Edited by DoubleD

16 minutes ago, Zilla Budgie said:

And also in nearby Lowton,  Warrington have had a few of those...

Nah, they are confused in Lowton, especially in Canaan where one side of the street is WN7 and the other side is WA3 🤣

• Haha 1

For all the good Derek has done and continues to do for Leigh, nothing will leave a legacy like getting a top class academy set up, that can produce players for years after he is off on full time safari holidays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Decades ago I played for my town’s schools team. We got hammered by Leigh routinely.

Sweaty’s fact suggests the supply line remains vibrant.

Only right and fair then that the town’s RL club can prosper from its fair share of the emerging talent.

Well done Leigh and Salford.

• Like 2

What is the criteria for an Elite Academy? Do clubs have to invest a certain amount of money into pathways and development and is there a requirement for a minimum number of ambassador clubs?

30 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

This will be Beaumonts real legacy if they manage to embed this academy in the club 

I know from discussions I've had with him, it's something DB has become obsessed with in recent years after initially going down the short term route in 2016/17. I think he realised after 2018s debacle that if he pulled out there would be nothing to show for all his money spent.

• Like 2

Great news for the club, Leigh Miners, Leigh East and to lesser extent Leigh RU regularly churn out great young players, being close to home with great facilities, running track, Swimming Pool, State of the art gym, 5G pitches, College and of course a nice Costa Coffee should hopefully attract some of the quality youngsters we have been losing to other teams.

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Doesn't surprise me.

Lost count of the Leigh born youngsters on the Wigan Academy always referred to as Wigan youngsters, when in effect are Leigh born and bread.

• Like 2

Very good news.

I have fond (is that the right word!) of visiting the Leigh sides as an amateur player.  It is a hotbed of talent.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Lost count of the Leigh born youngsters on the Wigan Academy always referred to as Wigan youngsters, when in effect are Leigh born and bread.

I saw Leigh referred to as a suburb of Wigan the other day in a non-RL news article 😂