Taking a trip to Amsterdam ...

Please let this be part of an initiative to grow the game in the Netherlands. They are already doing so much right and they could be ripe for the taking as a Western European country not being taken by Union yet. Imagine a point in the future where applications to League 1 could include the Amsterdam Cobras.

• Like 7

More detail from Hull KR here https://hullkr.co.uk/news/introducing-the-2025-rugbyleague-com-amsterdam-challenge?

It’s part of Rovers’ existing partnership with Netherlands Rugby League, the event comes with a full wrapper of community engagement activities. They’re planning for this to be an annual thing, not a random one off. Certainly looks well organised, commercial partners and travel packages already in place etc. 

Makes a lot of sense given Hull’s connectivity by sea to the Netherlands. I continue to be impressed by everything Paul and Craig do to build Hull KR’s commercial profile, never standing still or accepting things have to stay as they are. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its a great idea to take pre-season games to developing countries like this.

Would be great to see some sort of exchange programme too. Maybe Amsterdam could play a pre season game against a Hull community side at Craven Park.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

P&O ferries anyone?

You joke, but I’m sure that was part of this originally, I’d bet you anything that the Amsterdam project was what led to those conversations taking place. Thank God the venture survived that part of it blowing up. 

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

Would be great to see some sort of exchange programme too. Maybe Amsterdam could play a pre season game against a Hull community side at Craven Park.

Interestingly, if they did they wouldn't be the first Dutch team to play against a Hull amateur team at Craven Park (the previous incarnation in this case).

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/367009-rugby-league-abroad-great-post/

Some things haven't changed. The tannery still stinks.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It will be interesting to see where the game is played, I’m assuming not the Amsterdam Arena. 

😊 excited about this. 

NRC

National Rugby Center.

Tidy stadium which has been developed over the years. 

Headquarters of the Dutch rugby union but a number of domestic league games gave been played there and a Grand Final. 

5,000 capacity.

4G surface.

https://rugby.nl/organisatie/nrca/

Edited by yanto
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

Netherlands v Sweden was supposed to be played as a curtain raiser before  a Rovers game but Covid killed it.

So it has been thought about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worzel said:

You joke, but I’m sure that was part of this originally, I’d bet you anything that the Amsterdam project was what led to those conversations taking place. Thank God the venture survived that part of it blowing up. 

Hi Worzel 

It was actually never part of it just coincidence.

P

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, yanto said:

Netherlands v Sweden was supposed to be played as a curtain raiser before  a Rovers game but Covid killed it.

So it has been thought about. 

Yanto can you PM me about the pre match match:)

P

Fantastic!

Is there some concern about York being the opponents? KR doing well, and the Knights not so much? Could it be competitive, or a certain thrashing? Or will KR play juniors or second teamers? Hope not, it would diminish the quality I think.

Also, minor boo for the Hull KR page using "rugby" to reference union, without clarifying. Like, what the hell is the "EPCR Challenge Cup" ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yanto said:

😊 excited about this. 

NRC

National Rugby Center.

Tidy stadium which has been developed over the years. 

Headquarters of the Dutch rugby union but a number of domestic league games gave been played there and a Grand Final. 

5,000 capacity.

4G surface.

https://rugby.nl/organisatie/nrca/

Yes a tidy stadium and used for Rugby Union European Challenge Cup this year.

51 minutes ago, stookie said:

Fantastic!

Is there some concern about York being the opponents? KR doing well, and the Knights not so much? Could it be competitive, or a certain thrashing? Or will KR play juniors or second teamers? Hope not, it would diminish the quality I think.

Also, minor boo for the Hull KR page using "rugby" to reference union, without clarifying. Like, what the hell is the "EPCR Challenge Cup" ?

Hull KR are contracted for their SL squad to play this game 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hi Worzel 

It was actually never part of it just coincidence.

P

That smells like a missed opportunity then! Although at least made it less complicated to unpick I guess. Sure P&O will be doing well out of this Amsterdam trip anyway... I think their critics forget how many jobs they still support in Hull to be honest