Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#261 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

Not the best weekend as far as fans are concerned....

Not the best by any means and there is a 'visual' problem when stewards are told, apparently, to not enter the fray once it becomes a public order offence.

We're a long way from the dark days of the 70s and 80s - and, as ever, no sport should be complacent - but it's not good.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#262 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,682 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

Bluddy Targers now six points clear of third placed Watford with only four games left. Deary me.

I can see the gloryhunting season pass queues forming already.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#263 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Not the best weekend as far as fans are concerned....

It flies in the face of popular opinion, but I went to the game Saturday, took my 4 year old and every Millwall fan we came into contact with was good spirited, felt more like an RL event than a football match. I think the vast majority of both sets of fans were enjoying "the day".

Shame the idiots stole the limelight, can't help but think for the vast majority in the Millwall end it was probably there first and last game of the season, unless there 32k there on Saturday have a rota for games at the Den!

#264 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

It flies in the face of popular opinion, but I went to the game Saturday, took my 4 year old and every Millwall fan we came into contact with was good spirited, felt more like an RL event than a football match. I think the vast majority of both sets of fans were enjoying "the day".

Shame the idiots stole the limelight, can't help but think for the vast majority in the Millwall end it was probably there first and last game of the season, unless there 32k there on Saturday have a rota for games at the Den!

The Millwall fans are clearly a bunch of pussies.

Not one of them, unlike our Geordie friends, attempted to punch a police horse.

- Severus, July 2012

#265 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

A group of Newcastle fans caused severe disruption to an amateur match when on their way to watch their side against Wigan Athletic. A lot of locals were deeply upset and offended. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#266 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

A group of Newcastle fans caused severe disruption to an amateur match when on their way to watch their side against Wigan Athletic. A lot of locals were deeply upset and offended. 

Wigan Cosmos, poor stewarding/police work the away coaches arrive next to the pitches were the Sunday League teams arrive.

To be fair to Newcastle they've come good as a club, replacing damaged nets, the stolen match ball and there hosting Wigan Cosmos for a game against NUFC staff at St James Park once the season is over.  Doesn't make right what happened, but at least Newcastle are making the effort.

#267 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Bluuebiiirrrds!!!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#268 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Congratulations Cardiff, hope to see you next year against us
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#269 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I wonder if the re-brand matters to the Cardiff fans now?

I know that sounds snarky but I don't know how to write it more sincerely! Chuffed to see the Welsh derby in the Prem next year though.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#270 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Reminded me of this scene in Blazing Saddles.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#271 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

I know that sounds snarky but I don't know how to write it more sincerely! Chuffed to see the Welsh derby in the Prem next year though.

I think most fans have effectively ignored it.

I don't have great knowledge about this. However: -

- From reading comments in the Welsh press, the club is routinely referred to as the Bluebirds.

- From watching tv footage; the away strip is still blue and white and that's what the majority of the fans have purchased.

#272 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

They are still called the Bluebirds.

The ones I know don't care.

Swansea v Cardiff was tasty back in the day.  Opposing fans even had a battle at a Glamorgan cricket match once.

- Severus, July 2012

#273 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

They are still called the Bluebirds.

The ones I know don't care.

Swansea v Cardiff was tasty back in the day.  Opposing fans even had a battle at a Glamorgan cricket match once.

Nice.  <_<

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#274 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Nice.  <_<

To be fair, that's the trouble with supporting them. No shortage of morons.

#275 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

To be fair, that's the trouble with supporting them. No shortage of morons.

I know, I lived in Cardiff for a bit. I worked with a few who supported them and they were great lads. But out and about in the city centre on match day, oh dear, some of them.

That said, I suppose you could say that about most football teams supporters; the majority are the good ones, but they have their bad ones.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#276 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Enough of this Premier League lark, its a travesty Formby won't be promoted to the North West Counties Premier on a technicality - hope the appeal goes there way!  Two points clear at the top of Division 1 with two games in hand and reported to have the best bar in the North West Counties, I've still to visit, not a good day on the football front!

#277 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Premier League Football finances in the Guardian, some scary figures in amongst the detail!

#278 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Bluddy Targers now six points clear of third placed Watford with only four games left. Deary me.

I can see the gloryhunting season pass queues forming already.

If it makes you feel any better I bumped into an old mate of mine the other day who is a lifelong City supporter and he's pretty confident they could still blow it. I guess that's what a lifetime of supporting the 'bluddy targers' does for your belief.

He also trusts Assem Allam about as much as we do.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#279 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Enough of this Premier League lark, its a travesty Formby won't be promoted to the North West Counties Premier on a technicality - hope the appeal goes there way!  Two points clear at the top of Division 1 with two games in hand and reported to have the best bar in the North West Counties, I've still to visit, not a good day on the football front!

I know what you mean. But the pitch is built on a floodplain and below sea level and it's been absolutely hammered this season with all the rain we have had. As I live on the same road I pass it most days and it has been in a terrible state. 

#280 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

United can win the title IF they beat Villa on Monday, @OT, actually thats not if, but by how many.<br /><br />Villa still have to play Chelsea who beat them 8-0 at the Bridge earlier.<br /><br />Plus we face Wigan, who may be in a do or die position the same as Villa on the last day of the season.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users