Football

In football terms, surely it is worth big coverage, isn't it?

I can't see anyone but a big-name manager getting 1/10th of the leeway that Ferguson has had.  The news says that Moyes is the favourite but there's a big difference between squeezing excellence out of a mid-ranking, hard-working squad and persuading excellent players to get away from fixing their hair in the mirror and performing on the pitch.

The fact that you can't just create another Fergie is shown by the (ahem) varied careers those who've learnt under him have had. Bryan Robson's career being a particularly fine example of a determined, grafting and gifted player tutored by a focused, knowledgeable and strong-minded manager leading to an utterly woeful sequence of flops.

I can't see Ferguson retiring without a succession plan being in place though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Nicked from elsewhere: First Thatcher dies, then Fergie retires. Somewhere out there is a Scouser with a magic lamp and only one wish left.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From Twitter: Ryan Giggs will play under a new manager next season for the first time in his club career. He's 39-years old. Just let that sink in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

...and that manager is David Moyes!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching absent-mindedly the Wigan v Swansea match, I perked up when co-commentator Alan Smith commented on one of the player's ballooning the ball over the bar by referencing the fact that rugby is played at the stadium too... only for Martin Tyler to tell Sky viewers that the kick would have been awarded 3 points.

It was only mildly irritating - and at least I didn't hear Wigan rugby being blamed for the state of the pitch.

Hull City's owners, the Allams, are holding a celebratory party at the KC tonight in honour of their team's promotion to the Premier league.

They've invited 30,000 fans to a free, ticket only gathering.

Hull City Council offered to hold a civic reception for them and an open top bus tour. The Allams refused their offer, saying the Council have acted against the club so why should they be involved with the council.

Strange that, Hull City appear to play at a Council owned property.

And they still claim to be building their own stadium somewhere...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Allams-rule-Tigers-KC/story-18922878-detail/story.html#axzz2SaOKJnQM

Anyway, does anybody know what to do with 22,000 unused tickets for a promotion party as only 8,000 have turned up tonight.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

I can't see Ferguson retiring without a succession plan being in place though.

I know times have changed, but a there was a great 1/2 hour piece on Tuesday just gone on Radio 4 about Bill Shankly, apparently he was watching TV one night at home, stood up and informed his wife he was quitting in the morning and that was that!

on subject of fergie, any manager can win stuff when a club can afford to pay a player 250 000 pounds a week and just snap up players like ronaldo and van persie at the drop of a hat, lets hear more for the managers who gain promotion with lower league teams whos players will earn less in a lfetime than vidic or rooney do in a season. the ones who have to motivate without 70000 crowds and 24hr media attention.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

on subject of fergie, any manager can win stuff when a club can afford to pay a player 250 000 pounds a week and just snap up players like ronaldo and van persie at the drop of a hat, lets hear more for the managers who gain promotion with lower league teams whos players will earn less in a lfetime than vidic or rooney do in a season. the ones who have to motivate without 70000 crowds and 24hr media attention.

when he took over that wasn't the case. His success has brought about the crowds, ability to pick up players etc

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

when he took over that wasn't the case. His success has brought about the crowds, ability to pick up players etc

what was the typycal man u team in 86? they werent exactly skint were they? underacheiving at best, they were still one of the biggest clubs in world football.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

Hull City's owners, the Allams, are holding a celebratory party at the KC tonight in honour of their team's promotion to the Premier league.

Hull City Council offered to hold a civic reception for them and an open top bus tour. The Allams refused their offer, saying the Council have acted against the club so why should they be involved with the council.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Allams-rule-Tigers-KC/story-18922878-detail/story.html#axzz2SaOKJnQM

Anyway, does anybody know what to do with 22,000 unused tickets for a promotion party as only 8,000 have turned up tonight.

They could always use those tickets for 'drowning your sorrows', relegation parties for the next three or four years. How about that?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

what was the typycal man u team in 86? they werent exactly skint were they? underacheiving at best, they were still one of the biggest clubs in world football.

so you seriously believe SAF has no ability and it's purely down to external forces?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

so you seriously believe SAF has no ability and it's purely down to external forces?

lets just say everything comes easier with money, would he have got qpr promotion in the way warnock did? then stayed on and saw them survive the prem for 26 years? simple answer NOPE.

lets just say everything comes easier with money, would he have got qpr promotion in the way warnock did? then stayed on and saw them survive the prem for 26 years? simple answer NOPE.

how do you know?

First Thatcher dies. Then Fergie retires. Somewhere there's a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The Hull Daily Mail website is reporting that only 6,000 turned up. Tens of thousands of people lined the streets on the way to the civic reception the last time they were promoted.

Allam comes across as a petty vindictive man. I also think he's made a bit of a fool of himself. He was on the TV last night claiming he'd done it all for the community, yet here he is turning his back on the community. I had to laugh at the idiot who sent a text message in to Look North dismissing the council's offer of a civic reception, claiming that councillors only wanted to know when somebody had a bit of success. Who was it again who built the stadium? 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

They could always use those tickets for 'drowning your sorrows', relegation parties for the next three or four years. How about that?

I think Rob's already volunteered for the organising committee.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I read on twitter that Man Utd have actually spent less than their nearest rivals. £500+ million with many trophies compared with Liverpools £600+ million for hardly anything (deffo no title)

If that is true then it clearly isn't just about money.

did you just actually post that? 600m compared to 500m spent ? its not just about money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!