Schofield: Let’s now bring on Australia

Congratulations to England on wrapping up the Test series with New Zealand with a match to spare. They were superb on Sunday and I have no doubts they will win the third Test as well, to complete the whitewash. The bigger picture for me is that the game has to get a grip of the international scene and come up…

The post Schofield: Let’s now bring on Australia appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

43 minutes ago, yipyee said:

All England have to do is announce were the best in the world and Aus are scared and won't play us... works for boxers anyway.

Legitimate claim: they won the World Cup, NZ beat them, and now we have beaten NZ.

We should let Aus come to us rather than beg for a series: otherwise we'll get Aussie refs, Aussie rules and a time/place that suits Australia.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Congratulations to England on wrapping up the Test series with New Zealand with a match to spare. They were superb on Sunday and I have no doubts they will win the third Test as well, to complete the whitewash. The bigger picture for me is that the game has to get a grip of the international scene and come up…

The post Schofield: Let’s now bring on Australia appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Well said Schofield.

Massive pressure over the winter months needs to be put on those that can make it happen now

"As I hinted in last week’s column, it will be such a shame if the Australians refuse to play Great Britain during next year’s Lions Tour.

They should not be allowed to dictate terms like this."

You mean how the RFL dictated that Wales, Scotland and Ireland would be playing as the Lions without even consulting their governing bodies?

"You Australians have got to stop treating the international game with such contempt."

You mean like relegating the second best team in the Northern Hemisphere to a Wednesday night game in Leigh without test status?

Maybe Schofield should focus on sorting out his own house if he wants his criticisms of Australia to be taken seriously.

I'm not interested in trying to use controversial comments in order to try and provoke the Australian's into playing us. I want us to remain respectful and dignified at all times. I don't want any of the sorts of nonsense you sometimes get before big boxing matches. There's no need for it, and the chances are it could easily come back to bite us.

I would just hope that the Australians will want to play us, because it would be a good thing for rugby league and for fans of the game. For me, England/GB vs Australia is the biggest match in international rugby league, especially when it's part of an Ashes series.

As for Schofield, I actually really like him and I always enjoy watching him on the RL Backchat show. I also thought he was a brilliant player for GB, so he'll always be a legend in my eyes for what he did on the pitch.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

All England have to do is announce were the best in the world and Aus are scared and won't play us... works for boxers anyway.

wow, best in the world and still England haven't beaten the Aussie since...?

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

13 minutes ago, damp squib said:

You mean how the RFL dictated that Wales, Scotland and Ireland would be playing as the Lions without even consulting their governing bodies?

You mean like relegating the second best team in the Northern Hemisphere to a Wednesday night game in Leigh without test status?

Maybe Schofield should focus on sorting out his own house if he wants his criticisms of Australia to be taken seriously.

Selective memory, I believe.

Whilst he is antiquated on some things, particularly being devoted to the lions, on calling Australia out he's spot on. 

I want to go see big games where there's been big talk all week about it. I want to have a genuine rivalry outside of the purely sporting. Its not always got to be about whats on the pitch. Behind the scenes keeping it respectful and businesslike is essential, but how much would it ramp up the temperature if in the post match interview at Elland Road Captain James Graham after thanking the Kiwis called out the Aussies. If you think its vulgar boxing chat, having attended the past few AJ fights I can tell you, there's nothing wrong with it. Our sport needs headlines, lets make them. 

Arguably one of the reasons, indeed reasons cited on a thread earlier, that this Kiwi series has seemed a bit lowkey at times is that there is no major grudges built up. Indeed we're more friendly if anything.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Arguably one of the reasons, indeed reasons cited on a thread earlier, that this Kiwi series has seemed a bit lowkey at times is that there is no major grudges built up. Indeed we're more friendly if anything.

Did you watch the game yesterday?!?

1 minute ago, Tre Cool said:

Did you watch the game yesterday?!?

Yes and I'm going on Sunday too. But having attended lots of sporting occasions I can promise you the ones I remember the most are the ones where I really want to beat the opposition not just to win, but to prove we're better than they are. Leeds vs Wigan (or Cas in 2017), Australia at cricket, the All Blacks, most of the teams in the six nations, any Man United game. Things can boil over in games, they do in Rhinos v Widnes, or vs Hull KR, that doesn't put it on a par with beating your biggest rivals.

After the game yesterday has there been any big challenges laid down? Was there beforehand? We're far too nice as a game at times and sadly it makes zero column inches. Give people something to talk about. SBW vs Sam Burgess was an iconic battle in the NRL for a couple of seasons and it was built up just so. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

Let's look at the facts.

Several Australian legends retire from the Kangaroos and they then refuse to play England until replacements come through. Just saying like.

Several legends just retired and still they only lost 26 – 24 with NZ. 
And then beat the team who had beaten NZ in the World Cup. 
Must be very terrified.

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Let's look at the facts.

Several Australian legends retire from the Kangaroos and they then refuse to play England until replacements come through. Just saying like.

Shackle Draggers were lucky to win 2018 WC Final.

Their try was off a forward pass.

England turned down 3 kickable penalties.

Kallum Watkins' ankle was tapped at the death. 

History now of course.

I can understand why people dismiss Schofield, but he was one of the best on his day and he's still got a contribution to make whether you agree with him or not.

Anyone familiar with the forty-20 podcast will testify that he is good value for money.  I'd love to go for a pint with him!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSNIKgKSNc  - more Internationals!  Who can argue with that?

edit - tune in about 6 mins 30 secs.

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

I can understand why people dismiss Schofield, but he was one of the best on his day and he's still got a contribution to make whether you agree with him or not.

Anyone familiar with the forty-20 podcast will testify that he is good value for money.  I'd love to go for a pint with him!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSNIKgKSNc  - more Internationals!  Who can argue with that?

I like him . In an era of platitudes and trying to upset no one he says what he thinks straight up . Certainly good entertainment value and I agree with a fair bit of what he says 

Until England beats Australia then Australia has the bragging rights, and justly so.  If and when England beats them, then they can play their control cards....I know many of you know this already but Australia hates losing to England in anything...old grudges and all that.

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Until England beats Australia then Australia has the bragging rights, and justly so.  If and when England beats them, then they can play their control cards....I know many of you know this already but Australia hates losing to England in anything...old grudges and all that.

You can't beat a team that's running scared..

Archived