Shaun Johnson is now a free agent

A fantastic player on his day but has always been too inconsistent for both NZ and the Warriors. Obviously these are also two of the most inconsistent teams going so it will be interesting to see how he fares elsewhere, and how big a part in the inconsistency of these teams has he played.

50 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d like to see Ian Lenagan put his money where his mouth is and sign a true marquee player for the pies to help fill those empty seats at the DW

According to some, he does that already and gets moaned at because of it. 

He has a very good defence for a man of his stature. He is also a reasonable goal kicker and a good field kicker. But his greatest attributes are his speed and footwork in attack, and his ability to see an opening. At his best he is simply superb and absolutely unplayable.

If your billed has a star player you need to turn it on regularly and this is something  Johnson hasn't done for some time now.If he stayed at the Warriors I  can't see  things changing,  so probably a good decision to let him go.

8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

He has a very good defence for a man of his stature. He is also a reasonable goal kicker and a good field kicker. But his greatest attributes are his speed and footwork in attack, and his ability to see an opening. At his best he is simply superb and absolutely unplayable.

I agree. Particularally in the less structured SL he will wreck havoc. 

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I don't think any Super League club could afford to be honest.

However this is the issue. As surely he's worth around a 1m aud salary and unlike say Widdop there's no family move home factors to take into account with his choice. 

It would be a HUGE statement of intent for someone to go out and sign Johnson. 

Most likely is Cronulla I feel.... They have the cap space now. 

7 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Already signed for the Roosters for 2020, agent is shopping for a one year deal allegedly.

Would be great if he give SL a crack for a season.

This makes sense. Cronk got one more year. 

Cronulla IMO even more likely as gives them a decent outcome given Holmes leaving at late notice and not so much risk as only a year's deal. 

Johnson also gets used to Sydney. 

That's my take on it! 

Archived