Congratulations Denny Solomona

What a fantastic achievement to break the SL tries in a season record. Issued a few through injury too.

One of the best players to watch at Cas in years

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

A fantastic achievement.

As I mentioned in the Stephen Kearney thread, I believe he deserves a place in the NZ team for the 4N's.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

Has he not had one extra game to do this in? The 2004 season had 28 games.

Great achievement nonetheless.

Does anyone know if Vainikolo's 2004 record included Cup matches? And how many matches each club played in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure the Bulls got to the Grand Final that year.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Credit where it is due, he has had a great season.

But any talk whatsoever (and I've heard some already) of him winning MoS would be an embarrassment for the game. Good winger, but wingers shouldn't win MoS. Richards winning it a few years ago was a classic example of Football people applying their logic to our sport.

But any talk whatsoever (and I've heard some already) of him winning MoS would be an embarrassment for the game. Good winger, but wingers shouldn't win MoS. Richards winning it a few years ago was a classic example of Football people applying their logic to our sport.

Richards won it 2010. It's been decided by a vote of Super League players since 2008.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Why shouldn't a winger win MOS?

I was unaware that football people chose any of Rugby League's player awards.

IMO Solomona has to be in the shortlist to take out MoS this year.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

So the best player f the season shouldn't win it because he's a winger? Well that's just pure nonsense.

What a fantastic achievement to break the SL tries in a season record. Issued a few through injury too.

One of the best players to watch at Cas in years

All the more remarkable that he's done it in a decent, but not outstanding, Cas side.

Big Les scored his tries as the focal point of the attack of one of the most dominant teams the game has ever known and outside a world class centre in Hape.

I think you could add another (arbitrary) ten tries to Solomona to level the playing field between the two.

People called Romans they go the house

So the best player f the season shouldn't win it because he's a winger? Well that's just pure nonsense.

I just can't see how a winger can win MoS, when wingers have so little influence on the outcome if a match (on a consistent basis). Sure, they score tries, but most of those tries are simply catching the ball and putiing it down (usually from an overlap created by other players), plus they are only on one side of the field.

No doubt scoring lots of tries like Denny has means he is doing a great job, but best player in SL this year? Please. What about the halves, hookers and front-rowers who have far more influence over the course of a game, week-in, week-out.

Why I mentioned about football people is because anyone who is raised on the round-ball game recognises the outstanding players in that sport are usually the ones who score the most goals. The same principal does not apply to our sport though. But I take what you say about the players voting for the MoS. still, no winger (from my knowledge) has ever won the RLPA player of the year award (same as MoS) over here.

I just can't see how a winger can win MoS, when wingers have so little influence on the outcome if a match (on a consistent basis). Sure, they score tries, but most of those tries are simply catching the ball and putiing it down (usually from an overlap created by other players), plus they are only on one side of the field.

No doubt scoring lots of tries like Denny has means he is doing a great job, but best player in SL this year? Please. What about the halves, hookers and front-rowers who have far more influence over the course of a game, week-in, week-out.

Why I mentioned about football people is because anyone who is raised on the round-ball game recognises the outstanding players in that sport are usually the ones who score the most goals. The same principal does not apply to our sport though. But I take what you say about the players voting for the MoS. still, no winger (from my knowledge) has ever won the RLPA player of the year award (same as MoS) over here.

Your logic means players in only 5  positions can win MoS, Hooker, Loose, Full Back, Stand-Off and Scrum-Half, all the others are positions on one side of the field or the other.

have you really thought out your argument. If scoring tries isn't influential maybe you should be watching the other mob.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I see it like this :Rugby league is a team sport and every position has a specific role, all of which are intrinsically linked (praise a half back for his performance he will invarably praise his pack for laying a platform). With this in mind IMO MOS should be awarded to the player who has performed their role the best (although that's hard to judge).

Also i think you underestimate the role a bit, its a lot more than scoring walk overs. He has to compete for kicks (attack and defence), find the space to finish tries, defend key attacks, take early carries, etc!

I certainly think Solomona deserves nomination maybe not done enough to win the award though.

Your logic means players in only 5  positions can win MoS, Hooker, Loose, Full Back, Stand-Off and Scrum-Half, all the others are positions on one side of the field or the other.

have you really thought out your argument. If scoring tries isn't influential maybe you should be watching the other mob.

Incorrect. Middle unit in every RL side consists of props, hooker and loose. Fullback goes wherever needed, half backs usually take a side so would not count according to your logic assessing his logic. Of course half backs are found quite close to the ruck often as well as having the ball the most other than the hooker so they are always going to be considered.

He does have a point though. fullback, halves and hooker are the guys getting the ball the most in key areas so should be in a better position to influence a game. Someone shouldnt be precluded from winning awards due to their position though.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Incorrect. Middle unit in every RL side consists of props, hooker and loose. Fullback goes wherever needed, half backs usually take a side so would not count according to your logic assessing his logic. Of course half backs are found quite close to the ruck often as well as having the ball the most other than the hooker so they are always going to be considered.

He does have a point though. fullback, halves and hooker are the guys getting the ball the most in key areas so should be in a better position to influence a game. Someone shouldnt be precluded from winning awards due to their position though.

Point missed, never mind.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A top class winger who, say, scores 10 or 15 tries that his rival wingers are not able to is absolutely good for an individual award.

Most teams will have a hooker capable of 30 to 50 tackles a game, not many have what Solomona has shown this year. Thats not to say I think he should win it, but if you look at his 38 tries it would be interesting to see how many are tries yhat anyone could have scored.

Archived