The TV Thread

New series of Portrait Artist of the Year on Sky Arts tonight.

I think the Judges must be sponsored by a throat lozenge manufacturer because, as usual, there will be a  couple of thousand of us viewers shouting at the telly.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I’m currently rewatching lots of Ray Mears programmes on YouTube . What an amazing guy , fascinating stuff . I’m learning lots and lots , for instance last night I learned how to build an igloo if I’m ever trapped at the North Pole … how to build a teepee when I’m trekking across the Great Plains … and how to catch birds with a giant net when I get lost walking home from the shops and end up in a remote pacific island 

I watched C5's fake Only Connect last night. It was enjoyable enough and certainly a lot easier than the BBC version. It was obviously a rip off of that show though with some very similar style rounds, very similar looking weirdo contestants and even the host clearly trying to do a ridiculous impression of Victoria Coren Mitchell down to even impersonating her hand gestures, emphasising the same syllables and words in her speech and telling random stories that have no connection to the show whatsoever. I'll stick with it and see how it develops. 

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I watched C5's fake Only Connect last night. It was enjoyable enough and certainly a lot easier than the BBC version. It was obviously a rip off of that show though with some very similar style rounds, very similar looking weirdo contestants and even the host clearly trying to do a ridiculous impression of Victoria Coren Mitchell down to even impersonating her hand gestures, emphasising the same syllables and words in her speech and telling random stories that have no connection to the show whatsoever. I'll stick with it and see how it develops. 

just downloaded on catch up and 10mins in - its getting switched off and deleted - rubbish

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, ivans82 said:

If impersonators were still popular on TV they would have a field day with manic over the top presenters such as Victoria Coren Mitchell and Colin Murray .

Just watched The Wheel which I don't mind but I can't stand Michael Macintyre. When he first came about and was just a stand up I quite liked him but when he started doing presenting and I realised his over the top personality was not just an act for his comedy routine and that is actually just him I really went off him. One of the most annoying people on tv. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just watched The Wheel which I don't mind but I can't stand Michael Macintyre. When he first came about and was just a stand up I quite liked him but when he started doing presenting and I realised his over the top personality was not just an act for his comedy routine and that is actually just him I really went off him. One of the most annoying people on tv. 

I find his style exhausting, because he's so full-on and borderline hysterical in his delivery. And that's from someone who quite enjoys Bobcat Goldthwait.

Plus there are the allegations from many other comedians that MacIntyre steals material from everyone.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I find his style exhausting, because he's so full-on and borderline hysterical in his delivery. And that's from someone who quite enjoys Bobcat Goldthwait.

Plus there are the allegations from many other comedians that MacIntyre steals material from everyone.

Was his skipping around the stage a take on Duncan Norvelle's  ''Chase me chase me '' 😶

Good news! ITVX has both series of Monkey! available to watch. I am finally getting round to watching the last few episodes that I missed several decades ago. Closure! :kolobok_cool:

Less good news: They don't have The Water Margin. At least not yet.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Good news! ITVX has both series of Monkey! available to watch. I am finally getting round to watching the last few episodes that I missed several decades ago. Closure! :kolobok_cool:

Less good news: They don't have The Water Margin. At least not yet.

I did a similar thing with Blake 7 last year and I weirdly got a sad feeling at the end of it that took me straight back to being 10 years old. 

• Like 2

Just now, bobbruce said:

I did a similar thing with Blake 7 last year and I weirdly got a sad feeling at the end of it that took me straight back to being 10 years old. 

Mind you, that ending to Blake's Seven is a bleak genre classic.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

this popmaster tv is good BUT it absolutely stinks of part time actors or people with tv connections  as contestants 

I thought the questions were hard.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

spacer.png

Blakes 7 was more my dad's show that he put me through when it was repeated on UK Gold, I know the jist of it through that - I really tried to watch it on Britbox but struggled.    I may try again in the near future, there's plenty of my own nostalgia shows to watch first

(I did manage to get through the Pertwee & Baker years of Dr Who though)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Just finished watching the latest series of Black Mirror on Netflix. 

Five very different and thought-provoking episodes.

Recommended viewing, as always.

Seconded , top quality entertainment.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Blakes 7 was more my dad's show that he put me through when it was repeated on UK Gold, I know the jist of it through that - I really tried to watch it on Britbox but struggled.    I may try again in the near future, there's plenty of my own nostalgia shows to watch first

There are a fair few weak and/or dated episodes. It can be hard to get past those unless you're a long-time fan.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

These latest Channel 5 dramas are dreadful , the one that had Ross Kemp in last week was laughable and now we have one with Danny Dyer.......enough said .

It’s a shame because it’s a decent story line. The over the top acting though is laughable, it was nearly funny enough to watch more episodes but one was more than enough.

On 10/07/2023 at 16:43, Spidey said:

Do I like Blake's 7 ? Check my avatar!images(1).jpeg.6d77fc8bc0e0dcda69bcba17b385bb48.jpeg

Blake's 7 - Always look on the bright side of life.

Edited by HawkMan

55 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Do I like Blake's 7 ? Check my avatar!images(1).jpeg.6d77fc8bc0e0dcda69bcba17b385bb48.jpeg

Stephen Greif's Travis, not Brian Croucher's - I approve!

While the latter got better-written roles, he wasn't as good an actor, in my opinion at least.

Ralph Waldo Emerson