The TV Thread

I remember a long-ago canal holiday in the Canal du Nivernais in France. I was probably too young to appreciate the long, quiet periods when little happened (we had only packed two books for the whole family), but I did enjoy it overall. Especially the way you entered the centre of towns by water instead of road, which gave you a different perspective.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

On the Great British Bake Off, the first casualty is the smug hipster. Yes! B) 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

CLrm8LsWsAAKarU.jpg

I've been watching a dusty old DVD of 'Sapphire & Steel' starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum and marvelling that something as unusual as this used to go out on early evening ITV. Those were t'days.

I've been watching a dusty old DVD of 'Sapphire & Steel' starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum and marvelling that something as unusual as this used to go out on early evening ITV. Those were t'days.

You're not wrong. Strange stuff, and slow-paced too.

I have the box set.

Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and a load of American TV's big hitters are making a drama series about the Punk Rock scene in New York. Here's a teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2irZnQMovI

Seth MacFarlane has just about pushed the limits as far as he possibly can in the USA with the latest Family Guy episode on BBC2 -  'The 2,000-year-old virgin', in which Peter and his friends meet Jesus and try to help him lose his virginity.

In the meantime, I've finally started watching The Wire on Sky Box Sets. Pretty good - certainly deserves its reputation but I still think The Sopranos is the best TV drama ever made.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and a load of American TV's big hitters are making a drama series about the Punk Rock scene in New York.

Hope (purely for reasons of authenticity, of course) it includes Debbie Harry and Chris Stein getting it on in the back alley behind CBGB's.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Hope (purely for reasons of authenticity, of course) it includes Debbie Harry and Chris Stein getting it on in the back alley behind CBGB's.

It appears that Malin Akerman is cast as the divine Debbie.

Alan Rickman as Hilly Krystal and Rupert Grint as Cheetah Chrome are two others I've heard about.

Watching some old video files from the 1990s and I have 2 observations.

Fantasy World Cup: David Baddiel and Frank Skinner make a very near-the-bone comment or two about Jimmy Savile. In 1998.

and, on a lighter note,

In an episode of 'Chelmsford 123', when Philip Pope's oily character Grasientus is about to be knocked out, you can clearly see and hear a mattress being slid into place behind him so he can do a fall.  :haha:

Edited by Futtocks

It's  also got Vikings, a similar big budget fictional drama. I've not seen it, but been told it's pretty flipping good.

I don't watch it because I'm a Celt. We can't handle all those funny names.

;)

PS: I 've sen the Hull band Sordid Lies a couple of times;  I really like them. The guitarist wears a pirate's hat, which is an added bonus.

I caught the end of Sordid Lies' set at the Sesh, very enjoyable.

I'm also enjoying Black Sails very much indeed. The last episode I watched was Captain Flint hunting down and engaging the Andromache, top telly. I liked the attention to detail. Somebody working on the series knows their stuff when it comes to rigging a sailing ship.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

There's a film just started on BBC1 called Lesbian Vampire Killers.  Now, are they killers who hunt lesbian vampires or vampire killers who are lesbians themselves?

Edit: Ah, lesbian vampires.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

There's a film just started on BBC1 called Lesbian Vampire Killers.  Now, are they killers who hunt lesbian vampires or vampire killers who are lesbians themselves?

Edit: Ah, lesbian vampires.

You mean there are other types of vampires? Wow! You live and learn.

Or maybe not.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 4 weeks later...

On BBC4 right now, a documentary about the artist M.C.Escher. So far, very good indeed.

First episode of the new series of Doctor Who on Saturday was outstanding.

Included a call back to one of the most memorable scenes ever broadcast in the original show.

A contemplation on the morality of genocide on a Saturday teatime, and some call this a kids show! ;)

Great programme on BBC2 -

Don't Panic - How to end poverty in 15 years.

Another in the "why the BBC is worth it" column.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hmm, episode 2 of the all-new 'Danger Mouse' features DM being attacked by a giant fish with lobster claws grafted onto it. I'll call the copyright department...

http://jezebel.com/olympic-level-troll-hijacks-hln-segment-on-edward-snowd-1733833133

When you realise the host/anchor isn't actually listening to what you say...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hmm, episode 2 of the all-new 'Danger Mouse' features DM being attacked by a giant fish with lobster claws grafted onto it. I'll call the copyright department...

BTW, the egregious poaching on Clawphin's intellectual copyright aside, the new 'Danger Mouse' is a blast. Alexander Armstrong as DM, Kevin Eldon as Penfold and Stephen Fry as Colonel K.

Other guest voices in the series will include Richard Osman, Lena Headey and John Oliver.

Watched Chris Tarrant's Extreme Railway Journeys tonight. Not a fan of his at all but I thought he dealt with the death railway section with real dignity. I went along the section of railway shown a couple of years ago and the points he made rang true. I was quite touched by the scene at the cemetery at the end of the line in Burma, which looked just like the ones in Kanchanaburi (where the Bridge over the River Kwai is).. 

The part of the programme about the Burmese railways was great too. it really does look a fascinating country and there were some very funny sections such as when the train had to go over tracks with no ballast. The film really made me want to visit the country, hopefully once the last vestiges of the disgusting regime there has gone.

Ended up watching NCIS New Orleans and they mentioned a guy who was on a watch list for purchasing "polonium-making supplies."  ?@?#?@?!?  What? He bought a cyclotron on ebay? Or maybe bought a spare nuclear reactor off some guy up at the pub?

Ended up watching NCIS New Orleans and they mentioned a guy who was on a watch list for purchasing "polonium-making supplies."  ?@?#?@?!?  What? He bought a cyclotron on ebay? Or maybe bought a spare nuclear reactor off some guy up at the pub?

Bloody Tories, they'll sell anything.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I watched 'Bake off' on catch-up, as yesterday's episode of 'The Avengers' on True Entertainment was the one where Steed and Mrs Peel parted company. Wonderful programme.