Football

Always an excellent day when TNS don't win a trophy they think is theirs so ... well done to Connah's Quay Nomads for winning this year's Welsh Cup final (played in Newport, what a superb venue choice for two northern teams playing on a Sunday evening).

Too much to hope that TNS cease to exist and all memory of them expunged as a result but this will do for now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 27/04/2024 at 07:20, The Hallucinating Goose said:

With Parkgate beating Wombwell, Beverley Town will finish second in the NCEL Div 1 and so will have a playoff against Retford United, crazy considering we've finished the campaign on 103 points. 

It was due to be a home playoff but the cricket club are not letting us use the ground so we are having to play at a neutral venue in Winterton, near Scunthorpe, so looks like this goose is taking a trip across the bridge. 

The club have already said they are putting on a double decker bus free of charge for fans which is a fantastic gesture but I just hope this doesn't damage the club too much financially seen as we could have easily got 500 fans at home for this game and now maybe 100 will travel for it. 

Bev Town have offered an update on the travel situation for this game. Good news! They're having to put a second double decker on due to high demand. They say 135 places are already booked with only 30 left, so add in fans making their own way there and we could easy have 200 there, a heck of a lot more than this pessimistic goose thought. If Retford take the same sort of number and add in a few neutrals from the area that have a wander down, there could be 500 there after all! 👍

• Like 1

On 29/04/2024 at 14:48, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bev Town have offered an update on the travel situation for this game. Good news! They're having to put a second double decker on due to high demand. They say 135 places are already booked with only 30 left, so add in fans making their own way there and we could easy have 200 there, a heck of a lot more than this pessimistic goose thought. If Retford take the same sort of number and add in a few neutrals from the area that have a wander down, there could be 500 there after all! 👍

WE WON!!!!! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

WE WON!!!!! 

Well done to Bev Town and all associated including of course the fans.

I went watching my godson play recently for Longridge Town who are in the North West Counties Premier Division (step five of the pyramid).

Its a lovely place they’ve got with views overlooking Bowiand just north of Preston.  They were formed as a result of a merger in the mid 90s so just a baby in football terms in a town better associated with BAE Systems. 

In the same league are AFC Liverpool and Skelmersdale Utd, but also a couple from past note, Bury FC and Colne Dynanoes successor Colne FC plus Glossop North End who are the smallest town to ever play in England’s top flight (1899-1900).

• Like 2

Seeing Leeds have blown automatic promotion and will probably struggle in the play-offs this cheered me up.

On Facebook it showed a quote attributed to George Best it said ‘Every team had a hard man.  We had Nobby, Chelsea had Chopper, Arsenal had Peter Storey, Liverpool had Tommy Smith.  Leeds had eleven of them!’

Catching up on a whole bunch of play off scores. Wythenshawe denying Bury promotion stands out.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Bromley join the Football League.

Marine beat Macclesfield today to gain promotion to national league north in front of over 5,000 spectators. The northern premier league is fantastic  entertainment 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Route66 said:

Marine beat Macclesfield today to gain promotion to national league north in front of over 5,000 spectators. The northern premier league is fantastic  entertainment 

Macclesfield are getting some fantastic crowds, more than when they were in the the EFL, also Bury have been getting some great crowds too, which is good to see.

C Palace 4 Manchester United 0

What a disgraceful performance by United. Palace destroyed them, United just capitulated. Shame to see a great player like Casemiro reduced to a liability. Ten Hag can't survive this, he's history. Hope Palace keep Olise and Eze, don't want to see City Chelsea or Arsenal grab them. If Spurs want them then ...er that's fine.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Does anyone know of a good book on the history of British football? I don't know if I'm not searching right but it seems hard to find a general history of football, most football books seem to be more about a specific subject within the game. 

I used to have one that got badly damaged in a house move that had details of every FA Cup ever played including teams and scores of every round from the First Rd proper dating back to its very origins.

It used to thrill me to see how many districts of Bolton had competed until and reached the very late stages of the FA Cup during the early years of professional football during Victorian times.  I’d actually played on some of these pitches in my youth and many of the district clubs still exist.

I think now you’re more likely to find the information you’re looking for on the internet thanks to keen amateur football historians than in published book form.

Of course if you can’t see it out there then why not become an amateur football historian yourself as there’s all the tools you need if have the means of accessing the internet.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I used to have one that got badly damaged in a house move that had details of every FA Cup ever played including teams and scores of every round from the First Rd proper dating back to its very origins.

It used to thrill me to see how many districts of Bolton had competed until and reached the very late stages of the FA Cup during the early years of professional football during Victorian times.  I’d actually played on some of these pitches in my youth and many of the district clubs still exist.

I think now you’re more likely to find the information you’re looking for on the internet thanks to keen amateur football historians than in published book form.

Of course if you can’t see it out there then why not become an amateur football historian yourself as there’s all the tools you need if have the means of accessing the internet.

Well I've started reading the history of football page on Wikipedia since I posted that and it's adequate information. If I want to know about a specific thing in more detail I will just read the article on that thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Does anyone know of a good book on the history of British football? I don't know if I'm not searching right but it seems hard to find a general history of football, most football books seem to be more about a specific subject within the game. 

Wouldn’t like to say a specific book my advice get to the local library and take a chance, also try and pick up Harry Pearsons the Far Corner while your at it, great read about north east football 

• Like 1

Lovely review of the (still not quite finished) season:

Championship play-offs this Sunday.

Norwich vs Leeds (12pm)

WBA vs Southampton (2.15pm)

Plenty of Leeds fans on here, I'd imagine, and is it Eddie who is the Norwich fan? How are you all feeling?

I just hope we don't fall apart in the 1st leg and have to overcome a 3-0 deficit on Friday night.

My dream would be to win 5-0 at the Hawthorns and turn up at St Marys on Friday and sing "Que Sera Sera" for 90 minutes, but that isn't going to happen.

I'd take a draw right now.

Beverley Town v Shirebrook, Northern Counties East League Division 1 playoff final tomorrow and I'm absolutely buzzing for it! 

The biggest game in Beverley's history, having been in the Humber Premier League just 2 years ago, and we're expecting to absolutely smash our home attendance record which at the moment is 455. 

Win this game and we're into the NCEL Premier Division, tier 9 of English football. There is rumours floating around though that both teams in this game will be promoted because of a rejigg of the Premier Division. 

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

There must be a streaker in the other half of the pitch, because no one seems to be watching the action.

....and the bloke in the 2 peak cap making notes on the size and cup measurements.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Beverley Town v Shirebrook, Northern Counties East League Division 1 playoff final tomorrow and I'm absolutely buzzing for it! 

The biggest game in Beverley's history, having been in the Humber Premier League just 2 years ago, and we're expecting to absolutely smash our home attendance record which at the moment is 455. 

Win this game and we're into the NCEL Premier Division, tier 9 of English football. There is rumours floating around though that both teams in this game will be promoted because of a rejigg of the Premier Division. 

WE WON!!!! WE ARE GOING UP!!!! BEVERLEY!!!! BEVERLEY!!!! BEAVERS!!!! BEAVERS!!!!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

WE WON!!!! WE ARE GOING UP!!!! BEVERLEY!!!! BEVERLEY!!!! BEAVERS!!!! BEAVERS!!!!! 

Fantastic! Enjoy it all, soak it in.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Fantastic! Enjoy it all, soak it in.

It was unbelievable mate! We won on penalties, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack while they were going on! Obviously I got involved in the pitch invasion afterwards! 😁

Absolutely smashed the attendance record with 1,525 there today! Incredible atmosphere! Incredible experience! 😁😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Everton ended with 40 points after all that ( I say finished as they play Arsenal last )

There’s talk of them going into administration. I wouldn’t count your chickens yet.