Sign in to follow this  
Bleep1673

Football

Yes, Dennis Waterman captained the side.

Did he sing the theme tune?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Wasn't there a TV version a few years back of the story of West Auckland winning the first World Cup in Turin? It was sponsored by Lipton's Tea IIRC.

Grocery store magnate Sir Thomas Lipton sponsored as well as provided a trophy for an international football competition in 1909 and played for again in 1911. West Auckland won the four-team tournament both times, with the last one by defeating Juventus 6-1 in the final. It said that the villagers needed to auction personal possessions in order to pay for first trip to Italy. The FA were approached initially to submit a team but declined. 

West Auckland kindly allowed me to reproduce a team photo displaying the cup for my football book.

Didn't he also captain Hunslet in their 'all four cups' season?

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Then he played the part of Albert Goldthorpe in The First Kangaroos.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

Just dropped a mate and his daughter off at the KC this morn. Even before 7am, Hull was like a Saturday afternoon in terms of folk and traffic numbers. I suppose they'll all be going with an air of confidence, after all, Hull City Tigers have played 1 and won 1 at that "W" place....wonder what that feels like.  :( 

Nice to see the Botanic pub full of ale swilling fans at an unearthly hour, wonder how much of the game they'll see?

As for the game, 2-0 to the Blades, I reckon.

"Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

Just dropped a mate and his daughter off at the KC this morn. Even before 7am, Hull was like a Saturday afternoon in terms of folk and traffic numbers. I suppose they'll all be going with an air of confidence, after all, Hull City Tigers have played 1 and won 1 at that "W" place....wonder what that feels like.  :( 

Nice to see the Botanic pub full of ale swilling fans at an unearthly hour, wonder how much of the game they'll see?

As for the game, 2-0 to the Blades, I reckon.

I'm just about to head off out on the push iron so hopefully the feckers will all be in the boozer and off the roads.

Well, at least I got the 2 right. Up to now.

"Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

We love you Saintees, we do...

St Johnstone beat Aberdeen 2-1 to reach the Scottish Cup final for the first time in our 130 year history. A Tayside derby with Dundee United awaits.

Wow, that's even longer than Hull City Tigers have waited.

Seeing the 96 empty seats at Wembley on Saturday, along with the 96 names displayed around the ground was moving.

Shocking organisation for what I thought was mean't to be a minutes silence, that became part silence, part clapping and part singing "You'll never walk alone" in some sections as nobody in the ground didn't seem to know what form the minute should take. 

There were some fans chanting through the Minute Silence at Swansea. The TV should have filmed them and shaved them.

:dry:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

There were some fans chanting through the Minute Silence at Swansea. The TV should have filmed them and shaved them.

:dry:

This isn't Albania you know!?! :)

Chelsea fans behaving like sub-humans eh? Who'd have thought it?

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Moyes has left Man Utd

Reportedly "sacked", rather than "left".

I honestly thought United had a bit more about them than to do this. Less than a year into the job. I know it's not gone brilliantly, but it was always going to take time for him to get it right. Even Ferguson would have had to change things round a bit and wait for the changes to bed in. I know the "business" side of things will be increasing the pressure, but even so, it's a bit "knee-jerk" from the reds.

As a (lapsed) City fan, this is good news for us. The more they chop and change their manager, the longer it will take them to get the results they want.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Reportedly "sacked", rather than "left".

I honestly thought United had a bit more about them than to do this. Less than a year into the job. I know it's not gone brilliantly, but it was always going to take time for him to get it right. Even Ferguson would have had to change things round a bit and wait for the changes to bed in. I know the "business" side of things will be increasing the pressure, but even so, it's a bit "knee-jerk" from the reds.

As a (lapsed) City fan, this is good news for us. The more they chop and change their manager, the longer it will take them to get the results they want.

The fairest thing to do would be to sack their Chief Executive as well as he must share half the blame.  If Moyes had joined with the same on in charge when Fergie was there then it'd probably be a different story now.  Inexperienced manager (inexperienced in managing a club with big budgets and bigger ambitions, that is) as well as an inexperienced Chief Executive meant a fairly ###### summer last year giving no momentum for this season.  I doubt it'd be better this summer either so either the Chief Executive or Moyes would have to go with one being replaced by a big hitter.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The whole Manchester United organisation and fanbase are stunned by the current lack of success.  They are struggling to cope with the actual concept of such a situation.

They should bring in Steve McNamara, he could give expert advice.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

..and the players, to.  Really looks like  a case of player power  cos they didn't like the new regime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27119820

It's funny to hear Keene telling players that they should be ashamed of themselves for disloyalty towards their coach.

Though tbf to him there was a perfect opportunity for a pop at Alex and he didn't take it.