The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

I've just read the article on the Fev website about their new investment. Mr Nahaboo makes an astonishing statement. 

"We believe we now have the strategy, plan and financial resource to compete with the top two or three clubs in the UK"

Good luck with that one! 

I hope he means off-field competition.  If he's intending to compete on-field then the salary cap stops people buying success.  It's a bit harder to tempt the big names to your ambitious but lower placed club when you've got to fit into a salary cap.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rugby League needs to decide whether it wants to fund itself by sugar daddies. If it does, fine, but you then need to get rid of the salary cap, which would make no sense, and stop whinging when clubs go bust/hit very very hard times when the sugar daddy pulls the plug.

Not sure why these are linked? Take Dr K. He can invest any amount he wants into the infrastructure of the club, so there is no reason why Salford can't have the best stadium, the best marketing, the best coaching set up, the best juniors etc etc.

Then he gets the same amount as every other club to spend on the first team squad. That creates a level playing field and provides for real sport.

If all he is interested in is buying success, then sorry not in our sport.

The salary cap make our sport very affordable and provides a good platform for wealthy business men to show what they are made of and enjoy the limelight, without having the silly monopoly money approach that there is in say soccer.

So how do you account for the massive success of NFL, NRL, NBA, NHL etc.? Clearly for an enormous chunk of the world sports viewership (probably the majority), P&R is not "what sport is all about".

Yet football is king of viewed sports....and they mainly have p&r.

Now, if you'd read the whole post instead of jumping in at the first line you'd have realised I mentioned the funding issue.

The only way this can work is if all the clubs receive the same funding. And, at the moment anyway, it doesn't look like they will be.

london and Wigan currently receive the same funding it doesn't mean London can compete with Wigan does it?

london and Wigan currently receive the same funding it doesn't mean London can compete with Wigan does it?

Gary Hetherington often refers to the bad management at some SL clubs. London are a classic. As are my team Wakey. The management of far too many clubs get distracted by short-termism, rather than building a vibrant, sustainable business.

Others are just idiots and it's amazing they ever made any money in the first place.

So how do you account for the massive success of NFL, NRL, NBA, NHL etc.? Clearly for an enormous chunk of the world sports viewership (probably the majority), P&R is not "what sport is all about".

Sport for me is about thrills, spills, unpredictability and the best going up against the best week in-week out and P&R is actually IMHO (and in the opinion of many) detrimental to achieving those ends.

Did you miss out the EPL because it doesn't suit your view of things?

Sport for me is about thrills, spills, unpredictability and the best going up against the best week in-week out and P&R is actually IMHO (and in the opinion of many) detrimental to achieving those ends.

The sports you mention are north american sports spread out across a huge country and so P&R is not applicable to them really....they all only have one nationwide top division and below them are college sports.

If super league was spread out across europe with most major european cities involved i doubt P&R would be an option but in it's current state it is.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Going by the figures in the League Weekly the 12 SL clubs will each receive £1.3 million. The top four Championship clubs will receive £650k, £600k, £550k & £500k respectively. The clubs from 5th to 12th will receive £ 200k down to £150k depending on their finishing position.

That IMHO is widening the gap that already exists in the Championship between the top 5 and the rest.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

How much does a Championship club currently receive?

Just depends what you win as some will receive more than others. So IMO its still going to be the same as it is now really as one of the top 5 at this present time will win the NRC and the GF.

Edited by thundergaz

People use the Sheffield- London game as an example of how competitive the new system can be, and yet Sheffield themselves openly confess that they would struggle to maintain a full time operation in the new structure and they are one of the strongest teams in the Championship.......doesn't bode well.

I can't help thinking what a disaster it would have been for RL in Barrow had we had automatic promotion in 2009.

It was a disaster anyhow. Perhaps they may have done rather well of theyd gone up? I recall a certain other club who cheated their way out of relegation....

People use the Sheffield- London game as an example of how competitive the new system can be, and yet Sheffield themselves openly confess that they would struggle to maintain a full time operation in the new structure and they are one of the strongest teams in the Championship.......doesn't bode well.

The eagles do very well/ punch above their weight for the support they have. The eagles would struggle to go full time and that's why I think Aston is so against the 3x8 idea. Not the idea itself.

With living costs far higher in London than Wigan, London have essentially been operating on 50% of the salary cap compared to Northern clubs.

London have only very recently started to bring through Academy players who don't need to relocate and probably aren't making silly wage demands (yet).  Sides that are strongest now have solid foundations, London didn't really start acquiring those until after liquidation in 2005.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The eagles do very well/ punch above their weight for the support they have. The eagles would struggle to go full time and that's why I think Aston is so against the 3x8 idea. Not the idea itself.

Actually, Tubbs is quite confident that Eagles could hack it in $uperleague.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

With living costs far higher in London than Wigan, London have essentially been operating on 50% of the salary cap compared to Northern clubs.

That's also connected to them having a turnover that's less than 50% of sides like Wigan.

London, along with Catalan, automatically get the Salary Cap international weighting.

Not saying it does London a lot of good but it is taken into consideration.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Given that there has been the suggestion from some quarters citing cricket as an exponent of P&R, here's an interesting perspective on domestic cricket in this country: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/counties/9976184/County-cricket-in-need-of-reinvention-with-falling-crowds-and-lack-of-stars-leaving-the-format-in-the-doldrums.html

Its all lies, only RL has problems.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.