Eastmond not coming back

Not surprised he's staying in union. It would have been a big gamble for a club to bring him back as their marquee player given he would still be costing them £175K of cap space. Saints may have been an option as he would only cost them £100K of cap space but they may have decided he just wasn't worth the £300K plus they would have to pay him, especially as he hadn't exactly set the game alight before he left and he hasn't really fulfilled any of that promise in union yet either.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Totally agree with the comments stating that the money would be better spent developing and investing in young Rugby League players.

Also, I have beef with the fact that we should be expected to consider any union players coming to our game as marquee signings. They are not. I truly believe Eastmond would struggle to replicate his past League form.........which wasn't that great, as Toppy rightly suggested.

Would have liked to have seen him come back. Always good good to have as many talented players in our game as possible. Its debatable whether he would have come back better or worse than when he left, but he would have been a decent addition to any team.

If he see's his future in RU, best of luck to him. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I think it's a shame. Tremendous potential and showed he could deliver in Grand Finals. We haven't been that top heavy with quality English half-backs but hopefully that is looking like it might change.

Would have been a high-profile move for RL and another kick in the teeth to Mike Fords intent to use RL as a feeder sport for Bath RU after Sams return. But if he can get back in the England RU team now Sam has gone, good for perception of RL I suppose.

As many have stated though, lots to be positive about as we head into the 2016 season, and 300k better spent elsewhere

Didn't he score all of Saints points in that GF?.. 

Guess we'll never know if he could have come back and reached a level he was definitely capable of achieving. He had a number of issues including injuries and a bit of an attitude, but he had ability.

Personally think he would have become a star if he had of come back, but.. such is life. If things don't go to plan for him i wouldn't be surprised to see his name being linked with a return once more.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Didn't he score all of Saints points in that GF?.. 

Guess we'll never know if he could have come back and reached a level he was definitely capable of achieving. He had a number of issues including injuries and a bit of an attitude, but he had ability.

Personally think he would have become a star if he had of come back, but.. such is life. If things don't go to plan for him i wouldn't be surprised to see his name being linked with a return once more.

Which year was that?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

We haven't been that top heavy with quality English half-backs but hopefully that is looking like it might change.

I very much doubt he would have been signed to play halfback anyway. Even before he left, he was a stepper, but never an organiser. I suspect he was bracketed as a halfback because of his size more than anything else!

Archived