The Panama Papers

Whether it has taken Cameron four days, four hours or four weeks to explain in full his position that doesn't change the FACT that he has done nothing wrong and so has met those 'highest standards' of which you speak.  That really is the end of the matter.  The story has already slipped down the rankings on the BBC news bulletins and I'm sure within a couple of days it will have disappeared altogether from most media outlets (Guardian and Mirror probably excepted), regardless of the efforts of Labour to create a work of fiction.

The Telegraph have this rolling blog as their number 1 story and they keep it bumped.  They'll keep kicking while he's down.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether it has taken Cameron four days, four hours or four weeks to explain in full his position that doesn't change the FACT that he has done nothing wrong and so has met those 'highest standards' of which you speak. That really is the end of the matter. The story has already slipped down the rankings on the BBC news bulletins and I'm sure within a couple of days it will have disappeared altogether from most media outlets (Guardian and Mirror probably excepted), regardless of the efforts of Labour to create a work of fiction.

He hasn't despite your valiant defence of him , this isn't about if this was illegal it's about his character. He thought he could drip feed information and it would be done. It's not the end of the story how do we know there isn't something else ?

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Whether it has taken Cameron four days, four hours or four weeks to explain in full his position that doesn't change the FACT that he has done nothing wrong and so has met those 'highest standards' of which you speak.  That really is the end of the matter.  The story has already slipped down the rankings on the BBC news bulletins and I'm sure within a couple of days it will have disappeared altogether from most media outlets (Guardian and Mirror probably excepted), regardless of the efforts of Labour to create a work of fiction.

In your dreams!

Cameron has been "economical with the truth". He is in deep trouble and may not survive. However, quite what the alternative is worries me!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Yet according to the press it's Corbyn who's under pressure from his own side. If Corbyn can present an almost united front behind the remain campaign (there are a very small number of Labour backbenchers supporting brexit, but no big names) then even he's going to appear statesman like compared to the disintegrating rabble across the chamber floor.

Your post hints at a solution. I hope Corbyn is biding his time until the Tories really do rip each other to shreds. At which point, he will emerge as the leader I hope he is, and declare Labour for Remain, thus saving the country from the idiots on the other side of the House.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Whether it has taken Cameron four days, four hours or four weeks to explain in full his position that doesn't change the FACT that he has done nothing wrong and so has met those 'highest standards' of which you speak. That really is the end of the matter. The story has already slipped down the rankings on the BBC news bulletins and I'm sure within a couple of days it will have disappeared altogether from most media outlets (Guardian and Mirror probably excepted), regardless of the efforts of Labour to create a work of fiction.

Ah, FACT written in CAPS, then it MUST be true. :fie:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

No one is going to challenge Cambo before 23 June and whilst he is now a working a definition of 'lame duck' he's not likely to resign before then either.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Certainly he won't be. However, I think Boris and IDS are assuming that with them both on board and the Murdoch press (and Mail) behind them they can leverage a leave vote, and make Cameron's position untenable afterwards. IDS has already ensured Osbourn won't be the next PM.

Feels very much like they've been moving their pieces in to position and now they're ready for checkmate.

Certainly he won't be. However, I think Boris and IDS are assuming that with them both on board and the Murdoch press (and Mail) behind them they can leverage a leave vote, and make Cameron's position untenable afterwards. IDS has already ensured Osbourn won't be the next PM.

Feels very much like they've been moving their pieces in to position and now they're ready for checkmate.

Agreed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

So we can sit back and wait for the next "big issue" to come along to rock the Cameron boat every few weeks from now until 23rd June then?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I suspect this might be the start of the thread with regards aggressive tax avoidance. I wonder if they know Boris can't win an election on his own, either that or they aren't prepared to wait 4 years and see. I suspect some conservatives are annoyed that even though they got the labour leader they wanted that they still haven't "sot the labour fox"

The tory press have gone for Cameron in a big way.  I'd guess that was due to Brexit rather than the issue itself.  However, people are now asking questions to people like Boris and Goldsmith.  The tory press have unleashed an attack on Cameron but could unintended targets get hit too?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The press will ensure they protect their favoured candidate.

Goldsmith will be let go - for a while at least - as it seems unlikely he's actually going win the London Mayor election.

David Cameron likes the idea of tax havens. In responce to the imminent European Tax Initiative that was set to end all tax havens for europeans, Cameron and Osbourne flew straight to Switzerland to sign a non disclosure agrreement with the Swiss banks,as did their German counterparts, which very effectively scuppered the initiative.

As for the so called Panama papers,they were leaked 12 months ago to a German newspaper who forwarded them to a group i think called the Centre for Investigative Jounalism,which in the hallways of independent media is a front for western intelligence agencies. One year on and having been duly sanitized to protect whom they want to, the leaks are now being released to discredit those out of favour, Putin, the Icelandic Primeminister and a few lesser underlings like Cameron to give you the idea that nobody is safe.

David Cameron likes the idea of tax havens. In responce to the imminent European Tax Initiative that was set to end all tax havens for europeans, Cameron and Osbourne flew straight to Switzerland to sign a non disclosure agrreement with the Swiss banks,as did their German counterparts, which very effectively scuppered the initiative.

As for the so called Panama papers,they were leaked 12 months ago to a German newspaper who forwarded them to a group i think called the Centre for Investigative Jounalism,which in the hallways of independent media is a front for western intelligence agencies. One year on and having been duly sanitized to protect whom they want to, the leaks are now being released to discredit those out of favour, Putin, the Icelandic Primeminister and a few lesser underlings like Cameron to give you the idea that nobody is safe.

It makes you wonder who the hell is pulling the strings and how much power they have. I am sure there is other files locked away somewhere ready to be 'leaked' as soon as the next person needs getting rid of.

Several newspapers in different countries shared the Panama Papers months ago, but the sheer quantity of data meant that it was a while before they could weed out the newsworthy stories/names and agree on when to release them.

If you're going to publish material that implicates Vladimir Putin, I don't think you can call a report entirely sanitised, given the way he treats people who reveal things he would rather be left hidden.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This thread appears to have scuppered off in the direction of bonkers conspiracy theory territory!

Not quite conspiracy theory but the absence of Americans on the list is surprising.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Not quite conspiracy theory but the absence of Americans on the list is surprising.

Maybe Mossack Fonseca marketed their services more to Europe than the USA. This is, after all, just one tax-swerving company, whose name few of us had ever heard of before the leak was made public.

The possibility that there are many more financial services companies, practising even more extensive dodges is somewhere between 99.999999999999999999% and a tad higher..

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought I read somewhere that the American bit is yet to come.

I've read that but don't know if it's true.

Sunday Times about to splash with more revelations apparently.

Archived