England players badly off form

I think it was a very different season to his previous ones at Cas. He was slow at the start, but he did do some great individual stuff ie. against Leeds at Headingly.

In the 2nd half of the season he really found his feet at Wire, but I think because he wasn't scoring those sensational tries, the lazy analysts saw that as a massive drop in form, almost ignoring the other stuff that he had in his game.

Some of his defence is absolutely brutal and I have yet to see better goal-line defence from anybody in my time watching the game.

It was only last night that I realised just how stinging his defence is.  He really is becoming a very very good all round player with a great passing, running and defensive game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only last night that I realised just how stinging his defence is.  He really is becoming a very very good all round player with a great passing, running and defensive game.

And the more he plays alongside Sandow, Ratchford, Gidley etc., the more effective he and the team as a whole will be.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Right now on current form, Hodgson and Clark would be in my England 17. Roby (despite having an excellent game last week) needs to perform better to justify being selected. All 3 of these individuals have experience at international level so I think form and performance plays a very big part of their selection in the team.

Hodgson/Roby and Clarke certainly has better balance as a dummy half pairing. Hodgson and Roby are very similar these days and I think you would have to go with Hodgson on current form as bizarre as it seems to consider leaving out Roby.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I would certainly pick him at hooker ahead of Powell or Williams.

Has anybody actually criticised him, other than to note that he didn't kick I last year? He was after all Man of Steel, so he's not been exactly under rated in his career.

If though this is a counter to the Hodgson bandwagon I will sign up for it - he and Roby would be my picks...

Its not really a bandwagon is it. The bloke is currently rated as the form player in the NRL. Roby isn't even the form hooker in SL. Not that he shouldn't be considered as he has proven quality but its impossible to overlook Hodgson at the minute.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I think we have some great young lads coming through at clubs to push out some of the dead wood. Currie, Bateman,Shaul, Lilley, percival.

Bateman and Currie should be nailed on for squad selection, with Bateman starting in the squad. Shaul needs another 6 months of top class form to over take Hardaker and Tomkins. Lilley isn't anywhere near international level he is currently finding his feet at Sl level. Percival needs a year of form without getting injured, he has the ability but there is so many centres who have the right to be ahead of him such as Reed, Watkins (despite dreadful form) Sarginson, Shenton (when fit) and if Gildart stays injury free and develops he might be an early shout, I'd like Gildart and probably Watkins to test himself though.

There is a few English lads who I feel really need to go over to develop themselves as players.

At the end of the day Hodgson was probably around the 3rd/4th best English hooker before he left for the NRL, but is currently regarded as one of the best in the business. There is lots of players who have obvious quality but would probably get recognition at international level by playing Nrl and potentially better their careers. I'm thinking the likes of; Danny Houghton, Adam Walker, Alex Gérard, Liam Watts, Danny Kirmond just to name a few.

Maybe some lads should go and test themselves. Most of the lads who go over to the NRL succeed. The only people who are probably classed as failures are Tomkins (injured most the time and played well when he was fit) Like Burgess (didn't get in Leeds starting 17) Lee Mossop (pretty much injured and hasn't really recovered in no matter what league he is in) Greg Eden (was poor before he left) apart from that there is many players who are doing very well.

The obvious issue is making the standard of Sl worse by sending players over. But my general feeling is that average players in Sl could potentially be oustanding in the NRL based on past experience. Which gets them international recognition whether rightfully or not.

Cudjoe and McGillvary still nowhere near England standard, compared to the likes of Watkins and Hall, suits me fine, i'd rather our ###### players have a good pre season :)

I know you are being sarcastic but McGilvary has proved himself consistently as our top winger over the last 12-18 months. It is really a case of who pairs with him at the moment.

I know you are being sarcastic but McGilvary has proved himself consistently as our top winger over the last 12-18 months. It is really a case of who pairs with him at the moment.

For me McGilvary would be the 1st name on the team sheet.

Yep, tongue firmly in cheek,but  for me there is no debate about who should partner Jerry, the guy who has played with him every week for 4/5 years, the guy who has an almost telepathic understanding with him, the guy that is mainly responsible for him scoring so many tries last 2/3 years, and for me, the best English centre in the competition right now.

Gone stale. Needs to move to the NRL IMO.

I remember Watkins saying in an interview once that he was not interested in moving to Australia and would more likely switch to RU if he was to need a change. So lets hope Leeds work out how to get him interested again ASAP.

Agree on Mcgillvary being an automatic selection along with Graham, S. Burgess and O'Loughlin.

Like most Wingers, his defence isn't his strong point, especially when the team defensive structures fail.

I'll take his attacking threat over any of his perceived defensive frailties everyday of the week for England.

How is McGilvray's defence coming on? He was all over the place against the Kiwis.

Do you know a good defensive winger, that is a potent strike force too?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived