Rant thread

I got so annoyed at my family this weekend, they were adding up the bill for who was going to pay what for my birthday meal that I lost patience and grabbed the bill and paid it myself (It was an easy divide x by y = £25 virtually to the penny) I said just sort out the tip.

So what happens, my mother goes up to the desk to ask for change for a tenner, between 3 of them they'd put £2 on the plate, bearing in mind I'd just paid for the meal they couldn't even part with a decent tip for what was a lovely meal and good service. I just grabbed the plate which probably had about £9 on it at that juncture and I stuck a tenner on it, ###### embarrassing, they are so bleedin' tight! My folks have a shed load in the bank/savings but they are the ###### tightest of tight *****!

Aside from that I had a lovely weekend visiting fam but that really grated my cheese, bloody Northerners!

23 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I got so annoyed at my family this weekend, they were adding up the bill for who was going to pay what for my birthday meal that I lost patience and grabbed the bill and paid it myself (It was an easy divide x by y = £25 virtually to the penny) I said just sort out the tip.

So what happens, my mother goes up to the desk to ask for change for a tenner, between 3 of them they'd put £2 on the plate, bearing in mind I'd just paid for the meal they couldn't even part with a decent tip for what was a lovely meal and good service. I just grabbed the plate which probably had about £9 on it at that juncture and I stuck a tenner on it, ###### embarrassing, they are so bleedin' tight! My folks have a shed load in the bank/savings but they are the ###### tightest of tight *****!

Aside from that I had a lovely weekend visiting fam but that really grated my cheese, bloody Northerners!

Let me guess Yorkshire?.?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Trainsplit.com seems to be the best out there at the moment for ticket splitting.

I think a lot of the splitting sites use similar calculations. Any savings are worth clawing back from the franchises, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Thats why they have shedloads in the bank

You know what my biggest pet peeve in the world is and something I'm noticing more and more as the days drift by? People that try to tell you stuff about yourself, especially when it is completely wrong. It can be the littlest thing in the world and it is so ##### annoying! Let me give you a scenario.

You're at someone's house and they say, "do you want something to eat?" 

I will then say, "what you got?" 

"oh I've got some flapjack". 

"nah, I don't like flapjack". 

"yes you do!" 

"no I don't". 

"you bloody do, you love it!"

Why is this individual trying to tell me something about me which I am assuring them is false? The annoying bit really comes from the fact they don't just accept they are wrong and apologise, no, they start getting agitated and defensive, using a tone which is essentially accusing you of lying... about something about you... which you will know better than anyone...

Now that is one side of it. The other is where the information they provide is correct but is essentially used against you. Such as:

"do you want something to eat?" 

"what you got?" 

"I've got a pineapple, you love pineapple!" 

"nah, I don't fancy pineapple right now". 

"but you love pineapple!" 

"I know I just don't fancy any right now". 

"but it's your favourite, you love it". 

And then the person gets up and goes to chop up the pineapple. They haven't listened to the fact I don't want it. In their head they think because goosey likes pineapple he wants it all the time. No that is not the case. Sometimes I may just not particularly fancy that thing at that time. I am allowed not to. 

It is one slight criticism I have of my people (Yorkshire folk not geese), is that they try a bit too hard to make you comfortable. You walk into someone's house and it's like battle stations. Quick get him a drink! Quick get every bit of food in the house down his throat! He loves pineapple just ram it in cos he obviously wants to eat it, he loves flapjack! No I don't! Yes you do, you love flapjack! No I don't! The last drop of my drink hits my tonsils and they are up out of their seats, do you want another drink? Oh my god you've run out of flapjack! (chucked it in the bin when they weren't looking), oh my god, disaster, disaster! Running round like a fire alarm is sounding and the apocalypse is coming! No! No! No! 

That went a bit crazy towards the end haha.... 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Yup, make the jocks look like they spend with gay abandon!

Do you know how copper wire was invented?  Two Yorkshiremen fighting over a penny. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You know what my biggest pet peeve in the world is and something I'm noticing more and more as the days drift by? People that try to tell you stuff about yourself, especially when it is completely wrong. It can be the littlest thing in the world and it is so ##### annoying! Let me give you a scenario.

You're at someone's house and they say, "do you want something to eat?" 

I will then say, "what you got?" 

"oh I've got some flapjack". 

"nah, I don't like flapjack". 

"yes you do!" 

"no I don't". 

"you bloody do, you love it!"

Why is this individual trying to tell me something about me which I am assuring them is false? The annoying bit really comes from the fact they don't just accept they are wrong and apologise, no, they start getting agitated and defensive, using a tone which is essentially accusing you of lying... about something about you... which you will know better than anyone...

Now that is one side of it. The other is where the information they provide is correct but is essentially used against you. Such as:

"do you want something to eat?" 

"what you got?" 

"I've got a pineapple, you love pineapple!" 

"nah, I don't fancy pineapple right now". 

"but you love pineapple!" 

"I know I just don't fancy any right now". 

"but it's your favourite, you love it". 

And then the person gets up and goes to chop up the pineapple. They haven't listened to the fact I don't want it. In their head they think because goosey likes pineapple he wants it all the time. No that is not the case. Sometimes I may just not particularly fancy that thing at that time. I am allowed not to. 

It is one slight criticism I have of my people (Yorkshire folk not geese), is that they try a bit too hard to make you comfortable. You walk into someone's house and it's like battle stations. Quick get him a drink! Quick get every bit of food in the house down his throat! He loves pineapple just ram it in cos he obviously wants to eat it, he loves flapjack! No I don't! Yes you do, you love flapjack! No I don't! The last drop of my drink hits my tonsils and they are up out of their seats, do you want another drink? Oh my god you've run out of flapjack! (chucked it in the bin when they weren't looking), oh my god, disaster, disaster! Running round like a fire alarm is sounding and the apocalypse is coming! No! No! No! 

That went a bit crazy towards the end haha.... 

But do you like pineapple flapjack? I know you do really! 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Still amazed at people who park right next to the recycling bins at supermarket car parks even when there are a hundred empty parking spaces .That extra ten yards they would have to walk really seems to be a big ask .

5 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Still amazed at people who park right next to the recycling bins at supermarket car parks even when there are a hundred empty parking spaces .That extra ten yards they would have to walk really seems to be a big ask .

It's the ones who park next to the recycling bins, then go and do the shopping, without putting anything IN the bins that gets me. I wonder if it's because the security cameras are always on the bins?

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Probably be indifferent to pineapple flapjack. There is one element of it I would like and one I wouldn't. Obviously you know which is which! 

I know you like flapjacks.

And so do you.

• Like 1

People in my gym.

1 idiot always takes the locker right above the ironing board and then takes his time mincing about so the ironing board can't be used. I had a word today and hopefully this is resolved.

1 idiot left a wet jumper hung up over the benches. Unresolved. If i see it again, I'm putting it in the bin.

Multiple idiots leave their towels and kit on the benches rather than put them in the wash a literal toss away. They also leave weights about etc. Trying to resolve on a 1 by 1 basis.

Sub human ####.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

People in my gym.

1 idiot always takes the locker right above the ironing board and then takes his time mincing about so the ironing board can't be used. I had a word today and hopefully this is resolved.

1 idiot left a wet jumper hung up over the benches. Unresolved. If i see it again, I'm putting it in the bin.

Multiple idiots leave their towels and kit on the benches rather than put them in the wash a literal toss away. They also leave weights about etc. Trying to resolve on a 1 by 1 basis.

Sub human ####.

Whatever you do don't leave numerous nasty notes/notices posted all over the gym as this turns off many of the other people who use the gym and creates a non positive atmosphere.  The odd notice is OK but some gym owners really overdo it.

On 05/05/2019 at 17:46, ivans82 said:

Sick to death of the following scenario.......order an ice cream .......person serving says "would you like a flake with that ?...........you say "go on then pal"......person serving then charges you for said flake .........Didn`t ask for one , you offered one up , not paying for it , perhaps you should have said "would you like to BUY a flake with that ?", goodbye .

I have total sympathy for you on the first occasion this happened, but you obviously haven't learned if you keep going back! ?

Edited by Cheshire Setter

Similar to the thing I posted a bit back. Can't be doing with people who will really aggressively argue a point that is absolutely wrong and really attack you for offering up the opposing point which is the correct one. The point that is being argued in this case is something that is an absolute fact of course. 

For example, someone trying to argue that Leeds have not won the super league 8 times, they insist it is 6 say. I will tell them I know for definite it is 8 and they will then proceed to attack you. It is not necessarily the aggression that is most annoying here, although it is horrible and unnecessary, it's more that because it is a fact that they are wrong, they have clearly never researched the point and found that they are wrong. They have been misinformed about something or perhaps even just decided themselves out of the blue that their answer is correct and have a go at anyone else for saying it isn't. I can't understand why someone would believe something that they have not bothered to confirm for themselves through a very quick bit of research. You have to wonder as well, why have they gone into a debate on whatever the topic is with such certainty when they must surely realise that they don't 100% know what they are going to be saying is true. Do not just believe everything you hear! A number of times on this forum, if I am going to say something I will quickly check the facts are right before posting cos I don't wanna look like an idiot even if I am pretty certain I am right. 

These people are either too proud to admit when they are wrong, too self-obsessed and/or egotistical to comprehend the possibility they are wrong and/or too ignorant to realise someone else could be right. Won't name names of course but there is certainly one troll on this board that fits into this category of people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ryanair. Kept us at airport last night till 2am, only offered us flights Wednesday evening

Stayed up for Game of Thrones naturally, woke up in morning and managed to get flights to Liverpool via Dublin today. Hopefully claiming through travel insurance works. 

Still think I’m cursed !! ???

Deliberately on this thread rather than the climate change one...

Listening to the news just now.  If those extinction rebellion folk cause my holiday in June to be cancelled by closing Heathrow using illegal drones then I will treat them and their entire "cause" as worthy of the same contempt I give Nigel Farage.

We ****ing well need this holiday, we've saved and spent a lot of money on this holiday and I can't reschedule because I'm already overcommited doing work trying to save my little bit of the NHS until well into October.

Ruin my holiday and you will have crossed the line permanently and irrevocably.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"