Rant thread

Combine the content of the two previous posts and the forum wins again! 👍

Which school will be the first to offer a maths  syllabus that  includes snooker, darts, buying a round, splitting a restaurant bill, working out how much paint to buy whilst working out winnings on an accumulator (whatever that is) ? 😃

39 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Combine the content of the two previous posts and the forum wins again! 👍

Which school will be the first to offer a maths  syllabus that  includes snooker, darts, buying a round, splitting a restaurant bill, working out how much paint to buy whilst working out winnings on an accumulator (whatever that is) ? 😃

"Every school should have a snooker club". My campaign slogan for when I run for public office.

Its a good way to get kids engaged in maths cos you've got the mental maths side of it and also the working out of angles and a scientific element in judging the balls' running speeds and bounce and force of impact. 

4 bottles of non alcoholic lager in the supermarket are £2.99  - one bottle of the exact same stuff in my local pub is £2.60 - i know they have to run at a profit but c'mon 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Forgive me for not looking through 135 pages to see if it has been mentioned before.

But I am getting increasing wound up by the 'Breaking News' pop up that appears on the BBC news site.  You see breaking news and think "hmmm hope this isn't a big event' and then the last one was 

Dentists warn of permanent damage from clear braces ordered online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58038752

For uks sake

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

SENCO contract, Uxbridge (no SENCO qualification needed)

I saw this as an advert for a job, and given everything else I'm half expecting "Brain Surgeon required no previous experience necessary"

And if the above doesn't alert you, maybe you have no one in your family who needed special needs at school.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 14/01/2023 at 21:23, graveyard johnny said:

4 bottles of non alcoholic lager in the supermarket are £2.99  - one bottle of the exact same stuff in my local pub is £2.60 - i know they have to run at a profit but c'mon 

The price of Non Alc beer in pubs is a joke 

A pub down here charges ÂŁ3.60 for a 330ml bottle of Heinekin 0%

Probably costs them 50p wholesale 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If the "beer" was cold and the bar was warm and light. If there was an option to have a clean glass and was served by a bar person.

Factor that in too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

41 minutes ago, Bearman said:

If the "beer" was cold and the bar was warm and light. If there was an option to have a clean glass and was served by a bar person.

Factor that in too.

I get it but it is an excessive / bigger mark up on non alcoholic beer 

They sell a pint of beer at £3.50.....for a lot more liquid than the 330ml bottle. The pint will cost more than the little bottle to buy too ....assume less/no duty to pay 

The pint price is fine.....I'm saying it is not fine to sell a smaller bottle of non alcoholic that costs them less money to buy

If they at least sold pint (or near pint) bottles or draught non alcoholic I would be fine if it was similar price...still should be cheaper though as it costs less to buy / less duty 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

where's the incentive to be a designated driver who may bring 2 or 3 drinkers with them if it's not going to be a cheaper night for the driver?

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Exactly 

'Designated driver'......a truly horrific term for me......I'd rather wall back than not drink on a night out 

don't suppose it always has to be a full-on night out on the town - BB,  maybe just a drive out somewhere different for a change on a summer Sunday afternoon or to a quiz night across town etc 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

don't suppose it always has to be a full-on night out on the town - BB,  maybe just a drive out somewhere different for a change on a summer Sunday afternoon or to a quiz night across town etc 

I can enjoy myself sober Johnny (I don't drink at all Monday to Friday ) but on a night out I would be miserable without a few ales 

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I can enjoy myself sober Johnny (I don't drink at all Monday to Friday ) but on a night out I would be miserable without a few ales 

If I were nasty, I'd score in that open goal you've left.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Just a little moan.

I'm working a contract in a clothing shop at the moment and as I was going about my business I noticed some damage to an item of clothing; a big slash mark on the front, presumably caused when they cut open the box it was delivered in. I thought, I'll just be nice and let them know about that because they won't want to be selling damaged stock. Went and knocked on the managers office door and said, "just thought I should let you know, I noticed some damaged stock on the shop floor". I described the item and they replied, "that's fine, I'll have a look" and promptly closed the door in my face. They have yet to go have a look. 

I don't know why I bother being nice sometimes... 🙄

On 01/02/2023 at 08:53, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just a little moan.

I'm working a contract in a clothing shop at the moment and as I was going about my business I noticed some damage to an item of clothing; a big slash mark on the front, presumably caused when they cut open the box it was delivered in. I thought, I'll just be nice and let them know about that because they won't want to be selling damaged stock. Went and knocked on the managers office door and said, "just thought I should let you know, I noticed some damaged stock on the shop floor". I described the item and they replied, "that's fine, I'll have a look" and promptly closed the door in my face. They have yet to go have a look. 

I don't know why I bother being nice sometimes... 🙄

That's it, I've officially retired from being nice to people. It was a good career of being a decent person but now I'm going in a change of direction and taking up a career in being a knob head. 

I've arrived in work this morning to find that the quoted problem and subsequent good deed I did has not been dealt with. The damaged item of clothing is still on sale. The most annoying thing about it though is that someone has clearly looked at it because an undamaged item of clothing has been placed over the top of it. 

I'm getting fed up with this contract. I got told off once for being too friendly to someone just because I said it was nice to see them after a week of not seeing them in the height of covid. I normally saw them everyday and suddenly they disappeared for a week in the height of one of the worst pandemics in human history. Apparently that's flirting these days! Now I try doing a good deed and mentioning something that makes their shop look bad but they don't give a toss and I've also recently had my hours cut so I'm not particularly happy with this place recently!!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Is it me?

Am I just old and turned into my Dad?

What the hell has happened to the Brits awards?

Lizzo looks like a love seat

Don't know who the set of initial dressed in pink came dressed as !

Then there is Sam Smith, what a ######

Remember laughing at Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood? The Brits weren't much cop back in the day, either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Received a letter from my bank entitled we are changing how we support you. Turns out they are closing my branch. Theoretically I suppose they are changing how they support me by moving me from being able to walk to the last bank in town to forcing me to drive to another town for the same service. However, they take the biscuit for the sheer chutzpah in trying to suggest that they are doing me a favour and they think I am dim enough not to see through it for the patronising management speak it is.

(Barclays btw, but it could have been any of them)

2 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Received a letter from my bank entitled we are changing how we support you. Turns out they are closing my branch. Theoretically I suppose they are changing how they support me by moving me from being able to walk to the last bank in town to forcing me to drive to another town for the same service. However, they take the biscuit for the sheer chutzpah in trying to suggest that they are doing me a favour and they think I am dim enough not to see through it for the patronising management speak it is.

(Barclays btw, but it could have been any of them)

The Barclays "find your nearest branch" website lists the one I used to use. It's been boarded up for at least a year.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

All I thought was how hot and sweaty he would be in that getup.

Probably lost a bit of weight by the end of the event.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson