Jump to content

Rant thread


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Do I have a valid point here?

I'm team science. But I get frustrated with nature documentaries like Attenborough's. Things like this are built on murder. There was an outcry over companies benefiting from slavery, but there's little pointed at Darwin on the Beagle in the Galapagos, etc. The Natural History Museum and many other places are full of millions and millions of specimens of animals who were captured or killed, just so scientists and biologists can find out more. Maybe I don't see the big picture but I believe things should have just been left alone. Science might yet save the broken planet but I think it certainly has made its own dirty mark.

The number of specimens killed for science is likely dwarfed by the number of animals killed for food (turtles, in the Galapagos case, or Dodos on Mauritius), or outcompeted by accidentally/ignorantly-introduced foreign species (rats, rabbits, etc.).

More like predation and/or accidental manslaughter than murder.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Do I have a valid point here?

I'm team science. But I get frustrated with nature documentaries like Attenborough's. Things like this are built on murder. There was an outcry over companies benefiting from slavery, but there's little pointed at Darwin on the Beagle in the Galapagos, etc. The Natural History Museum and many other places are full of millions and millions of specimens of animals who were captured or killed, just so scientists and biologists can find out more. Maybe I don't see the big picture but I believe things should have just been left alone. Science might yet save the broken planet but I think it certainly has made its own dirty mark.

I would say the benefits of the knowledge we have accumulated in the name of science far outweighs the number of creatures that have died for it. We have at least gained something from this. Personally, my anger would be directed at those people who kill animals for sport and enjoyment, those who kill simply to collect species and display them and especially those that kill for profit, I am of course talking of poachers here.

I get massively upset at animal cruelty where an animal is kept alive because then it has to suffer. At least an animal that is killed does not have to suffer, although this still isn't an excuse for killing it simply for pleasure or financial gain.

Going slightly off topic, this is why the thing that upsets me the most in the world is any kind of sustained abuse, mental, physical or sexual because the person that has endured it has to live with it whereas at least someone that is murdered does not have to suffer. Again, doesn't make murder any less horrible. And this leads to why I will never support a death penalty because the person put to death does not have to experience any kind of punishment if you get my meaning, because they will not be aware of the fact they are dead, yet spending the rest of their life in solitary confinement or something would be a much stronger, sustained punishment that they have to endure. Anyway, that's a debate for another time. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I would say the benefits of the knowledge we have accumulated in the name of science far outweighs the number of creatures that have died for it. We have at least gained something from this. Personally, my anger would be directed at those people who kill animals for sport and enjoyment, those who kill simply to collect species and display them and especially those that kill for profit, I am of course talking of poachers here.

I get massively upset at animal cruelty where an animal is kept alive because then it has to suffer. At least an animal that is killed does not have to suffer, although this still isn't an excuse for killing it simply for pleasure or financial gain.

Going slightly off topic, this is why the thing that upsets me the most in the world is any kind of sustained abuse, mental, physical or sexual because the person that has endured it has to live with it whereas at least someone that is murdered does not have to suffer. Again, doesn't make murder any less horrible. And this leads to why I will never support a death penalty because the person put to death does not have to experience any kind of punishment if you get my meaning, because they will not be aware of the fact they are dead, yet spending the rest of their life in solitary confinement or something would be a much stronger, sustained punishment that they have to endure. Anyway, that's a debate for another time. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I would say the benefits of the knowledge we have accumulated in the name of science far outweighs the number of creatures that have died for it. We have at least gained something from this. Personally, my anger would be directed at those people who kill animals for sport and enjoyment, those who kill simply to collect species and display them and especially those that kill for profit, I am of course talking of poachers here.

I get massively upset at animal cruelty where an animal is kept alive because then it has to suffer. At least an animal that is killed does not have to suffer, although this still isn't an excuse for killing it simply for pleasure or financial gain.

Going slightly off topic, this is why the thing that upsets me the most in the world is any kind of sustained abuse, mental, physical or sexual because the person that has endured it has to live with it whereas at least someone that is murdered does not have to suffer. Again, doesn't make murder any less horrible. And this leads to why I will never support a death penalty because the person put to death does not have to experience any kind of punishment if you get my meaning, because they will not be aware of the fact they are dead, yet spending the rest of their life in solitary confinement or something would be a much stronger, sustained punishment that they have to endure. Anyway, that's a debate for another time. 

I don't doubt any of that. Yes I was asking a narrow question, but I wasn't discounting or ignoring the points you made.

Maybe it's because I have a bit of an idea of the life cycle of a butterfly, for example, I can then question why I needed to know. Then the lepidopterists' need not exist.

I'd be quite happy in my cave!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Edit is the three dots top right. 

Still getting used to that myself.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

after painting again all day i must say- the bloke who invented the staircase spindle should have one inserted right up...................................................................................................

  • Like 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

To whom it may concern.  

The CORRECT pronunciation is  not GLAYCIERS. 

The CORRECT pronunciation is GLASS-IERS

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

The correct pronunciatin of Glass is Glahss with a long "a" sound

The correct pronunciation of Glaciers is like Glad with a short "a" sound

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Shadow said:

The correct pronunciatin of Glass is Glahss with a long "a" sound

The correct pronunciation of Glaciers is like Glad with a short "a" sound

You are half right.   It is GLASS, not GLARSE. Just like it is PLANT not PLARNT and MASTER not MARSTER!  😀 😀 😀 😀 😀    

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You are half right.   It is GLASS, not GLARSE. Just like it is PLANT not PLARNT and MASTER not MARSTER!  😀 😀 😀 😀 😀    

We've been through this.

It's, Glass, Water and Glad pronounced Glahsse, Wawter and Glad. All different pronunciations of the same letter, tricky but not impossible. 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Edited by Shadow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

We've been through this.

It's, Glass, Water and Glad pronounced Glahsse, Wawter and Glad. All different pronunciations of the same letter, tricky but not impossible. 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Hmmm!

You really should have thumped Farage (pronounced Farridge) when you had the chance. His influence on you has been toxic.

Edit to add a smiley. 😆

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

You really should have thumped Farage (pronounced Farridge) when you had the chance.

I did :kolobok_biggrin:

And that was the correct pronunciation, in as far as it annoyed him.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

We've been through this.

It's, Glass, Water and Glad pronounced Glahsse, Wawter and Glad. All different pronunciations of the same letter, tricky but not impossible. 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Well, we had cheese barms for dinner. Not sure what we're having for tea, though.

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Well, we had cheese barms for dinner. Not sure what we're having for tea, though.

Tea is a drink. or a child's meal so possibly Turkey Twizzlers or Beans on toast? :kolobok_biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

We've been through this.

It's, Glass, Water and Glad pronounced Glahsse, Wawter and Glad. All different pronunciations of the same letter, tricky but not impossible. 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Breakfast , dinner , tea , supper . 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Breakfast , dinner , tea , supper . 🙃

training-like-a-hobbit-L-tf0yh7.jpeg

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Shadow said:

 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Thinks to self:  don't get involved, don't get involved, don't get involved, don't get involved, don't get involved, don't get involved,

breakfast, dinner , tea, supper

  • Haha 4

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning coffee, mid-morning snack (not always), afternoon coffee, main meal in the evening.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Morning coffee, mid-morning snack (not always), afternoon coffee, main meal in the evening.

Does morning coffee come with 3 slices of toast with butter carved as thick as cheese? 

I always have a pint or half pint glass of water without food before leaving for work, but when I'm at home my 1st drink of the day is a big mug of tea with toast or cereals. 

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...