Who should Toronto look at to sign next year?

http://www.totalrl.com/gossip-toronto-wolfpack-eye-ashton-sims/

Word is Ashton Sims might be going there next year, should they be promoted into Super League eventually after maybe they could entice his brothers over.

For me the perfect person they could sign next year is Benji Marshall. A former golden boot winner and legend of the game, he is playing more for Redcliff then Brisbane behind 2 gun halfs at that club. Sign him as captain, let him go out as the man to steer them around and take them into Super League. Playing in Championship I don't think would be above him at the moment, and maybe you could get another year or 2 in Super League should they be promoted. A awesome addition to promote the game, one of the former best players in the game, he is great with the media and the kids love him. An all round nice guy with a lot to teach those up and coming Canadians.

The other guy Id like to see them sign though he might be a bit out of their pay rate is an American 7s player by the name of Carlin Isles. The fastest player in rugby and I think from memory 38th fastest in America. I'm not sure how much 7s players are paid so maybe there would be a chance. A lot of tries in him Id be sure, though he might let a few in as well. Another great guy to promote the code. I think he would be more suited to Rugby League since he would get the ball a lot more (Wendal Sailor touched the ball 3 times more often in a league game compared to a union game).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Good shouts. 

I'd add the Burgess twins, if only for the media interest

I agree the twins should be there main targets . If for nothing else It would be great for my blood pressure to see them not being able to catch or hold a ball in Canada a long long way from Redfern.

5 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I agree the twins should be there main targets . If for nothing else It would be great for my blood pressure to see them not being able to catch or hold a ball in Canada a long long way from Redfern.

Hands like legs of lamb. I'm surprised Tom gets a game to be frank

Here's a few (feel free to google!)

as a true athlete, well Christian McCaffrey. Fat chance as he's just signed with Carolina, but wow, what a league player he could make...

Toby Gerhart. A big (ish, from his college days)) name that has been out of the NFL for a little bit. Supposedly tried out for the Broncos end of last year so I guess he'd still be in shape. Maybe  the challenge of a new sport might entice him?

Psalm Wooching. Just signed a short contract with Harlequins to play in the world 10's. 

Sam McGuffie. Now with the USA Bobsled team but has been involved with the USA Sevens programme I believe...

obviously Tim Tebow would be good in terms of publicity too!

I suppose one thing that might work, in terms of publicity, is seeing whether any current, fringe, or prospective CFL players might be interested in a switch. I don't think the CFL salaries are that far away from what TWP might be able to offer? As people have also pointed out previously, some of the Canada Sevens team might be good targets too...

Benji Marshall does sound Ike a good shout though.

interesting times...looking forward to seeing how the TWP adventure goes. As a fan of the game for 26 years it does see, that there might be a chink of light here for Rugby League...

2 hours ago, B rad said:

http://www.totalrl.com/gossip-toronto-wolfpack-eye-ashton-sims/

Word is Ashton Sims might be going there next year, should they be promoted into Super League eventually after maybe they could entice his brothers over.

For me the perfect person they could sign next year is Benji Marshall. A former golden boot winner and legend of the game, he is playing more for Redcliff then Brisbane behind 2 gun halfs at that club. Sign him as captain, let him go out as the man to steer them around and take them into Super League. Playing in Championship I don't think would be above him at the moment, and maybe you could get another year or 2 in Super League should they be promoted. A awesome addition to promote the game, one of the former best players in the game, he is great with the media and the kids love him. An all round nice guy with a lot to teach those up and coming Canadians.

The other guy Id like to see them sign though he might be a bit out of their pay rate is an American 7s player by the name of Carlin Isles. The fastest player in rugby and I think from memory 38th fastest in America. I'm not sure how much 7s players are paid so maybe there would be a chance. A lot of tries in him Id be sure, though he might let a few in as well. Another great guy to promote the code. I think he would be more suited to Rugby League since he would get the ball a lot more (Wendal Sailor touched the ball 3 times more often in a league game compared to a union game).

I've seen Carlin Isles play in a few Rah Rah 7's for USA and he is fast, however he would have nowhere near the space he gets in a Rah Rah 7's if he played in a game of Rugby League. He is only a slight build also, so not sure if he would be able to take proper tackles rather than the powder puff stuff . . .? Only one way to find out . .  Offer the chap a trial . Might put 1,000 on the gate so it's a no brainer. . .

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

1 hour ago, Roughyedz said:

I've seen Carlin Isles play in a few Rah Rah 7's for USA and he is fast, however he would have nowhere near the space he gets in a Rah Rah 7's if he played in a game of Rugby League. He is only a slight build also, so not sure if he would be able to take proper tackles rather than the powder puff stuff . . .? Only one way to find out . .  Offer the chap a trial . Might put 1,000 on the gate so it's a no brainer. . .

I think he might be in the Martin Offiah mould. He played for the Glasgow Warriors for a bit, maybe there is some video footage of that in the 15s code, in saying that though he would hardly get the ball and when he does they would want him to kick it back downfield most of the time. Thing about league he gets to run his hardest until he gets stopped instead of stopping to set the ball for a ruck or maul so they don't lose position.

3 hours ago, rushend said:

as a true athlete, well Christian McCaffrey. Fat chance as he's just signed with Carolina, but wow, what a league player he could make...

Toby Gerhart. A big (ish, from his college days)) name that has been out of the NFL for a little bit. Supposedly tried out for the Broncos end of last year so I guess he'd still be in shape. Maybe  the challenge of a new sport might entice him?

Psalm Wooching. Just signed a short contract with Harlequins to play in the world 10's. 

Sam McGuffie. Now with the USA Bobsled team but has been involved with the USA Sevens programme I believe...

I suppose one thing that might work, in terms of publicity, is seeing whether any current, fringe, or prospective CFL players might be interested in a switch. I don't think the CFL salaries are that far away from what TWP might be able to offer? As people have also pointed out previously, some of the Canada Sevens team might be good targets too...

interesting times...looking forward to seeing how the TWP adventure goes. As a fan of the game for 26 years it does see, that there might be a chink of light here for Rugby League...

Great call on Sam McGuffie. A high school phenom and Youtube legend who is an exceptional athlete, knows what a rugby ball looks like and may be available. Not that young anymore but I think he has links to Canada as he may have played CFL

6 hours ago, rushend said:

I'd argue that pretty much no players from outside of league would be a good idea. In the NRL there has been pretty much no players that have converted even from playing professional Union that have made a meaningful impact.

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, B rad said:

I think he might be in the Martin Offiah mould. He played for the Glasgow Warriors for a bit, maybe there is some video footage of that in the 15s code, in saying that though he would hardly get the ball and when he does they would want him to kick it back downfield most of the time. Thing about league he gets to run his hardest until he gets stopped instead of stopping to set the ball for a ruck or maul so they don't lose position.

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

I'd argue that pretty much no players from outside of league would be a good idea. In the NRL there has been pretty much no players that have converted even from playing professional Union that have made a meaningful impact.

I cant see Isles making much impact tbh.......7s is a completely different game to 15s or League.....as someone who watches a lot of both codes I can tell you there isn't any player who stays in 7s long if he's got what it takes to play high level 15s.....Kwagga Smith of South Africa latest example of this..moved back to 15s......Isles is a sprinter who has some basic rugby skills.....

...........For what its worth given the type of team they seem to want, i.e. physical....Gareth Hock makes sense as a signing, and Todd Carney or Rangi Chase maybe worth the hassle neither of them will have a queue of prospective employers who will want to pay them a good salary so they may have to take whats on offer i.e. TO if its a good wage.........Not convinced someone like Benji Marshall would be interested as back up money is still pretty decent in NRL with huge TV deal compared to SL and TO travel is massive.......TO will sign misfits with talent, and thuggish players thats my take on it........

I hope that don't go down the waifs and strays path again. It is annoying enough then bringing in Bailey and Penkywicz when not required to get them promoted. 

They already have a top 2 championship side so a couple of key strategic signings should be the priority and giving gametime to locals before the standard of opposition makes that too difficult. As a pack leader make a play for Paul Gallen as he seems open to a move and I am sure David Argyle can match any salary offers on the table. 

Union7s players have been mentioned and Perry Baker as a wing for USA could be a convert, rapid and a wide receiver in college American football so has all the ball skills. Nathan Hirayama is a gifted runner in the Shaun Johnson mould though clearly not as good but as the Canada 7s playmaker would make a good domestic target.

a lumberjack

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I think they should think outside the box and sign Agar! Or is that just my wishful thinking? I'd buy his plane ticket personally. 

9 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

TO will sign misfits with talent, and thuggish players thats my take on it........

I suspect that they probably will, and maybe that's all they can do.  Don't get me wrong, I love what Toronto are doing but I would like to see a second Canadian/North American team have a bit more of a steady approach.  Maybe sign half a team of more experienced, almost role model, players with great experience and leadership and then the rest of the team being the best that North American RL can offer.  A team with the likes of Luke Dorn, JJB, Tommy Leulaui, Tomas Bosc, Wilkin (please take him off our hands) and maybe even a Corey Parker supported by some young locals with great potential would be a match for most League 1 sides and would allow them to really build a club.

46 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I suspect that they probably will, and maybe that's all they can do.  Don't get me wrong, I love what Toronto are doing but I would like to see a second Canadian/North American team have a bit more of a steady approach.  Maybe sign half a team of more experienced, almost role model, players with great experience and leadership and then the rest of the team being the best that North American RL can offer.  A team with the likes of Luke Dorn, JJB, Tommy Leulaui, Tomas Bosc, Wilkin (please take him off our hands) and maybe even a Corey Parker supported by some young locals with great potential would be a match for most League 1 sides and would allow them to really build a club.

It's probably the reality that players will only go there for last chance saloon for. A 30 plus troubled player with 100 plus SL games  or to get a pro Contract if they are a mid table championship type player.......hopefully they can get some NAM players.....

I personally feel the TO development won't go well, but hope I am wrong 

Archived