Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
leaguefan13

New TV channel

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Copa said:

Bartv doesn't appear amateur at all .... just lower budget.

I agree - I wasn't suggesting it was amateurish as the quality is good, but, at a guess, the contributors are amateurs/enthusiasts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Cos they've arranged their own deal

Yep, but it's nothing to do with Sky as they don't have the rights.


SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super-leagues-lucrative-new-tv-deal/

Quote

For that, Sky Sports will broadcast 71 Super League games per season, 17 Championship games and one Championship one game, while they will also broadcast eleven Challenge Cup games.

Toronto being allowed to arrange their own is not different to Catalan


OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

http://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super-leagues-lucrative-new-tv-deal/

Toronto being allowed to arrange their own is not different to Catalan

I believe the above has since been debunked in the trade press around the time of the Torronto deal, someone from Sky has stated they do not have any League 1 rights or any current interest in the comp. 

Torronto may have arranged their own deal, similar to Catalan. However Catalan arranging a French broadcast deal has zero bearing on the rights to their games being shown in this country. So just because Catalan have a deal with a French broadcaster, doesn't mean they could then sell those games to Premier in the UK. Hence as nobody has any broadcast rights for League 1 in the UK, Premier were free to pick them up in the UK.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

http://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super-leagues-lucrative-new-tv-deal/

Toronto being allowed to arrange their own is not different to Catalan

 

4 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

I believe the above has since been debunked in the trade press around the time of the Torronto deal, someone from Sky has stated they do not have any League 1 rights or any current interest in the comp. 

Torronto may have arranged their own deal, similar to Catalan. However Catalan arranging a French broadcast deal has zero bearing on the rights to their games being shown in this country. So just because Catalan have a deal with a French broadcaster, doesn't mean they could then sell those games to Premier in the UK. Hence as nobody has any broadcast rights for League 1 in the UK, Premier were free to pick them up in the UK.

Are the League 1 rights included with Sky’s broadcast rights?

No. They could be acquired by another broadcaster. For example, the backers of Toronto have ideas of their own about magazine programmes promoting League 1.

http://www.totalrl.com/nigel-woods-q-media/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I have normal freeview and can't find this channel. Is it meant to be on freeview? 

Yep - you may need to rescan your box/tv. Not sure if it's actually on freeview EPGs yet so maybe wait until next week closer to launch. 

  • Like 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Freesport have now appeared on my EPG and they are showing the Cowboys Broncos game next Thursday, live and then repeated in the evening........

What an amazing development. The NRL freely available in the UK.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I have normal freeview and can't find this channel. Is it meant to be on freeview? 

I think I read on the other thread that it is one of the channels, like Talking Pictures TV, that you can't see unless your TV has a HD tuner. Or an external HD-compatible set-top box. This doesn't mean it'll be an HD channel, but that it is broadcast on one of the frequency blocks that can support HD.

In totally unrelated news, my new HD TV should be delivered today. I was looking at replacing the old one, because it plays up at times, but this seemed like another good excuse to make the order.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

I believe the above has since been debunked in the trade press around the time of the Torronto deal, someone from Sky has stated they do not have any League 1 rights or any current interest in the comp. 

Torronto may have arranged their own deal, similar to Catalan. However Catalan arranging a French broadcast deal has zero bearing on the rights to their games being shown in this country. So just because Catalan have a deal with a French broadcaster, doesn't mean they could then sell those games to Premier in the UK. Hence as nobody has any broadcast rights for League 1 in the UK, Premier were free to pick them up in the UK.

Thanks AA. How does this affect the Wolfpack if they get promoted next season? Will their games have to be shown on Sky then if they have the rights to the Championship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks AA. How does this affect the Wolfpack if they get promoted next season? Will their games have to be shown on Sky then if they have the rights to the Championship?

I'd assume that, unless the Wolfpack can come to an agreement with Sky, then Premier Sports won't be able to show their games in the UK if they go up.

It may or may not affect their rights to broadcast matches in Canada (including region-restricted streaming), but I don't know enough about the details of that.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

In totally unrelated news, my new HD TV should be delivered today. I was looking at replacing the old one, because it plays up at times, but this seemed like another good excuse to make the order.

Well, if the delivery driver knocked on my door today, he must have knocked very quietly. Re-delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Harrumph! :mad: 


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next Thursdays running order on Freesports is this ....

0600 - Xiamen Marathon 2017
0700 - The UK Challenge
0730 - Swedish Speedway
0930 - The Magic of the FA Cup
1045 - Live - NRL Cowboys v Broncos
1245 - The FA Classic Collection
1315 - Skegness (stock car racing)
1415 - World of Free Sports
1445 - The Magic of the FA Cup
1600 - AC Milan Report
1630 - The Story of the FA Cup
1730 - The Story of the FA Cup
1830 - Xiamen Marathon 2017
1930 - On the Limit Sports
2000 - NRL Cowboys v Broncos
2200 - BVB World
2300 - FIFA Football
2330 - Barca TV

What Futtocks says in this thread is correct - do a rescan on Freeview, if you can get Talking Pictures TV you will get Freesports (Ch 95).

If you don't - you won't !

Edited by Womer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I wouldnt think it would affect their rights to broadcast matches in Canada, the RFL sell overseas rights to other countries anyway. 

One would hope it was slightly the other way around and their is 13/14 more games the RFL can sell to Sky (who wouldnt need to pay broadcast costs) 

Slightly complicated in that Sky wouldn't be filming the Wolfpack matches (outside the Summer Bash and possible the Middle Eights). So it isn't like selling the rights to existing Sky content, but adding in another broadcaster to a league where Sky currently have the exclusive rights (whether they show matches or not).


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I wouldnt think it would affect their rights to broadcast matches in Canada, the RFL sell overseas rights to other countries anyway. 

One would hope it was slightly the other way around and their is 13/14 more games the RFL can sell to Sky (who wouldnt need to pay broadcast costs) 

 

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Slightly complicated in that Sky wouldn't be filming the Wolfpack matches (outside the Summer Bash and possible the Middle Eights). So it isn't like selling the rights to existing Sky content, but adding in another broadcaster to a league where Sky currently have the exclusive rights (whether they show matches or not).

I suppose a challenge is who is actually picking up the production costs.

If this year it is Premier and they attempt to recoup costs elsewhere then this leaves a challenge for next year as Premier wouldn't be allowed to do this, unless they signed a deal with Sky.

If the production costs were being picked up by overseas companies and/or the Wolfpack themselves then Sky could allow that and show the coverage on their platform as per the Catalans deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

Any of you chaps know how to get it on Virgin Media (formerly Birmingham Cable TV)???

Not been comfirmed on VM as yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freesports promo is now running on Sky and freesat.

for other satellite receivers (like mine) it's -

Frequency - 11426 V

FEC- 27500 - 5/6

Standard Defination only -no HD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Perhaps i wasnt clear, Sky only have exclusive rights in the UK, They sell the rights to Bein in france, Fox in Australia, SkyNZ in NZ, OSN in the Middle East, Fox in the USA.

Theres no necessity for that to be only the Sky content, other than it being highly unlikely anyone else would want to bear the costs of production. 

Where they do, i.e Bein broadcasting all of Les Catalans games that is additional content for the RFL/SL to sell (though they of course can only sell it to Sky in the UK who have paid for exclusivity) 

So they can sell the rights to Toronto's games in Canada regardless. They could theoretically sell the rights to every single RL game played in the UK to a TV company in Canada if the demand was there and the Sky deal would be unaffected.

Would certainly be interesting if Catalans got relegated and Torronto promoted - there could potentially be two clubs there with every game of theirs being broadcast in the Championship in their own country despite a lack of interest here in the UK. That's making a big presumption that the Bien deal continues as normal if Catalans went down of course. 

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Would certainly be interesting if Catalans got relegated and Torronto promoted - there could potentially be two clubs there with every game of theirs being broadcast in the Championship in their own country despite a lack of interest here in the UK. That's making a big presumption that the Bien deal continues as normal if Catalans went down of course. 

Interesting indeed. Would these teams also benefit from a VR at every game of theirs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Interesting indeed. Would these teams also benefit from a VR at every game of theirs?

Would you say it is always a benefit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Interesting indeed. Would these teams also benefit from a VR at every game of theirs?

Do Toronto currently?

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is becoming a good day for me.   I know I'm normally a whinging moany sod, but Freeports is on my EPG and the wife has just won us a family holiday to Orlando!   Bonus!

On the downside Warrington aren't in the cup final and the current holders playing will remind  me of last year's heartache ☹️

  • Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Would you say it is always a benefit?

Benefit/disadvantage cross out what's not applicable ??

Edited by Spidey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...