WC influence - NRL Pacific Test now includes Lebanon

Copa

4 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Instead of nitpicking who people would prefer to see involved shouldn't everyone be pleased that these games are happening? Hopefully more announcements come with regards to the European nations having some games as well as the Americas.

I'm newish still but from what I've gathered this is out of the norm right? People have been calling for more games for the smaller nations for a while and now they are here...but they aren't what you want soooo...we cancel the whole thing or will some people STFU? 

You're catching on very quickly.

We want this! OK here you go. No, we want a bigger one! OK here you go. NO, we wanna green one with ponies on the side! OK here you go. Awwh! You never give me anything!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It was pointed out that these tests have occurred before but this is the first official international window between the NRL and RFL right? Let's take advantage of this and make it a proper international window first and foremost. 

Focus should be on what games will the UK teams be playing? Will Serbia be invited as they could be very much in the running for the next WC? In North America a double header with US, Canada, Jamaica and a south American team? What about the Balkan teams?

Might be just me but I wouldn't mark this window a success unless we get at least one game in every Continent during the window, even lowly double headers vs. getting a big Pacific Test as the only event. That's why I don't care about the venues or the teams involved right now, it just needs to be made into a proper international break.

I think it would be better to throw in Serbia or Wales just to get a gauge of the relative standards. The current structure has resulted in the RLIF rankings being pretty inaccurate, given PNG beat 3 teams all ranked at least 6 places higher than them.

51 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I think it would be better to throw in Serbia or Wales just to get a gauge of the relative standards. The current structure has resulted in the RLIF rankings being pretty inaccurate, given PNG beat 3 teams all ranked at least 6 places higher than them.

Down for whatever so long as there are games including as many nations as possible during the international break, it's what it's for.

We cant just keep having all these internationals made up of Australian players playing in Sydney.

Ive no issues with playing in Oz or NZ for the likes of Tonga as you would just lose money in Tonga, but there is nothing that signifies any growth here, or any learnings from the WC.

Its just lazy and going for the easy option.

We first watched Fiji and the likes on the World stage 22yrs ago. Look at tgem this year. And what is tge plan for next year? A couple of them will play in Sydney.

Great.

So much negativity around the announcement of more international games. 

What i don’t think people understand is how large the Polynesian population is in New South Wales. Western Sydney especially. Tonga and Samoa have populations roughly of 100,000 and 200,000 in there entire country. The NRL has taken a test match to Apia in Samoa and got a far smaller crowd then they normally get for the pacific tests. It is not the end of the world these tests are being played in Campbeltown which will sell out there 18,000 stadium and be a huge success. 

PNG I understand the frustration however they must have decided they didn’t want to the added expense of hosting the game there. And when the NRL are paying for it that is ultimately there decision. 

Also there is no chance Fiji or the Cook Islands have been forgotten about. There probably playing at a different venue at a different time. Maybe one of them is playing a France or Wales who knows, just wait and see before jumping to conclusions 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

We cant just keep having all these internationals made up of Australian players playing in Sydney.

Stay away then.

Leave it to the 1000s of Tongan and Samoan fans who identify the teams as being full of Tongan and Samoan players.

Tonga need to visit the islands after this tournament or play a test at home next year to cement the goodwill.

Unlike when the Kiwis won the 2008 WC and the players all went off on holidays... no parade etc to maximise the feel good feeling to the team.

38 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

‘An additional two teams will be announced shortly, rounding out the three-match festival of rugby league.’ http://m.nrl.com/pacific-test-match-tickets-on-sale/tabid/10874/newsid/115392/default.aspx

Have I read this wrong? It doesn't actually say PNG will play Lebanon and not Fiji.

"The flair and passion of competing nations during the 2017 Rugby League World Cup has been nothing short of spectacular, and fans have more reason to celebrate, with tickets on sale now for the 2018 Pacific Test Invitational.

Pacific powerhouses – Tonga, Samoa and Papua New Guinea are confirmed to play, and for the first time, Lebanon will participate."

http://m.nrl.com/pacific-test-match-tickets-on-sale/tabid/10874/newsid/115392/default.aspx

That to me feels like it could be Lebanon v someone else?

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Have I read this wrong? It doesn't actually say PNG will play Lebanon and not Fiji.

"The flair and passion of competing nations during the 2017 Rugby League World Cup has been nothing short of spectacular, and fans have more reason to celebrate, with tickets on sale now for the 2018 Pacific Test Invitational.

Pacific powerhouses – Tonga, Samoa and Papua New Guinea are confirmed to play, and for the first time, Lebanon will participate."

http://m.nrl.com/pacific-test-match-tickets-on-sale/tabid/10874/newsid/115392/default.aspx

That to me feels like it could be Lebanon v someone else?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/37865071/lebanon-and-png-to-play-test-match-rugby-league-world-cup/?cmp=st

8 hours ago, johnny plath said:

I'm really confused here... RLIF and the nations playing organise when and where internationals get played, but this is the NRLs fault.  Some people really need to let go and actually open there eyes to whats going on.   I think I read that more Tongans live outside of Tonga than in Tonga, so in some ways maybe it does make sense to play games where the supporters are.  As for Fiji games, not sure whats happened there, but isn't this article/post just talking particularly about the games at Cambletown... it's not to say that fiji are not playing at  all somewhere else, or that perhaps PNG may also play at home some other time in 2018.   

Look all good there still scheduled better than some. I would liked to see tonga v nz in Auckland. Png v fiji but it may not be cost effective. 

My guess is england to play new zealand on same weekend. I hope france talks to on of celtic nations. 

26 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Look all good there still scheduled better than some. I would liked to see tonga v nz in Auckland. Png v fiji but it may not be cost effective. 

My guess is england to play new zealand on same weekend. I hope france talks to on of celtic nations. 

You don't have to guess..NZ are playing england..likely be on the Friday night..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

This is fine as far as I can see - logistically it will be very efficient to have the 3 games in the same place and I assume it is cost issues that has lead to PNG not being at home.

It will be fascinating whether all the World Cup players back up for this (and other games between world cups). It would be fabulous if Jason T gets to play in front of the huge Tongan Sydney community. 

France must also get a meaningful game - how about a Barbarians team of non selected English, and the best Welsh/Irish/Scottish players? 

Very interested to see the rest of the plan for next year roll out. Great to see a coordinated free weekend, and great to see the first announcement of internationals. With NZ v England, and hopefully tests involving Fiji, France, Wales etc. to come, it should be a great weekend. Hopefully an expansive October-November program as well. I'm not gonna jump up and down with ill-informed rage just yet. 

1 hour ago, Copa said:

It is. Tongans and Samoans recognise the team as representative of their people. They aren’t simply Australians playing in Sydney.

The issue isn't heritage players.

As a general principle, it is fine to play games in places that will maximise revenues, but staging double headers is not progress. The problem is that more and more these teams are just looking like a group of blokes based in Oz putting a different colour shirt on and representing their nation.

I have absolutely defended the use of heritage players to make things competitive, and drive development top-down - but when you see a load of Aussie based blokes, playing for an Aussie based coach, playing in Aussie made kits, usually sponsored by Aussie companies , playing their games in Australia - then you have to start to question some of the activity.

It is lip-service and nothing more.

It is the same in the NH, where Scotland, Ireland or Wales may be thrown some crumbs every now again.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The problem is that more and more these teams are just looking like a group of blokes based in Oz putting a different colour shirt on and representing their nation.

To you maybe. To Tongans and Samoans it looks increasingly like Tongans and Samoans playing rugby league.

35 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

France must also get a meaningful game - how about a Barbarians team of non selected English, and the best Welsh/Irish/Scottish players? 

How would that be a meaningful game? Surely playing against Wales or Ireland in a proper test would be meaningful

We need to stay away from made up teams

Archived