Robert Elstone to be next boss of SL?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Well, thanks for yours. After shamelessly name-dropping him you were hardly going to say anything objective were you?

The article is about him, how have I namedropped him? Why should I be ashamed for saying I know him? 

I have not mentioned anything about his professional capability so how have I said anything which isn’t objective? 

Whereas your rant about Everton is entirely subjective 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The article is about him, how have I namedropped him? Why should I be ashamed for saying I know him? 

I have not mentioned anything about his professional capability so how have I said anything which isn’t objective? 

Whereas your rant about Everton is entirely subjective 

If it's about him, why did you think it was inportant for us all to be aware that you know him?

Regardless of my "rant" about Everton, the point remains that this guy has no track record that shows us we should be excited about him taking a role at the top of RL.

Just because he is a RL fan, and the fact that you know him, should not be enough to get him the job. 

32 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

If it's about him, why did you think it was inportant for us all to be aware that you know him?

Regardless of my "rant" about Everton, the point remains that this guy has no track record that shows us we should be excited about him taking a role at the top of RL.

Just because he is a RL fan, and the fact that you know him, should not be enough to get him the job. 

Who is getting excited Jim? 

24 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

A number of the contrinbutors to this thread. One of them even said it would be a "coup" to get him.

I'm just not seeing why.

Perhaps there is now low expectation given some of the bods we have had in charge recently

I think everyone wants people in power to have some track record in Rugby League. Elstone was part of the team that set up SLE.

Most people are also agreed that we need experience in negotiating broadcast deals. According to article:

’’His experience in TV, after working as Director of Football Business Affairs, is also a big reason why he is likely to take up the chief executive role at Super League’’.

Therefore he does seem to have a couple of big ticks in a couple of important boxes.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Where did I say that it should? 

Given following your extensive dealings with Everton FC, you clearly don’t rate him, perhaps you can suggest who you’d like to see get the role instead of blindly criticising everything 

3 hours ago, JonM said:

His wikipedia article says he left Cas after doing the preparatory work towards getting them to a new stadium. In 2007 ;)

I agree that getting him would be quite a coup.

Haha I think they had a deal agreed to sell Wheldon Road for housing to finance this, and the plug got pulled during the credit crunch. Someone like Gates can probably confirm 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Where did I say that it should? 

Given following your extensive dealings with Everton FC, you clearly don’t rate him, perhaps you can suggest who you’d like to see get the role instead of blindly criticising everything 

I have about as many dealings with Everton FC as you do, and my rating of him is based upon the public success, or lack of it, that he has had in his Everton role.

Rather than berating me for stating that I don't think his track record is anything to write home about, maybe you should be laying out exactly why he should be given the job?

Being from Cas, and a RL fan should not be enough. I'm from Wigan, and a RL fan. WIgan have been more successful than Cas, so I should be given the job. Now that's makes as much sense as giving the job to your mate Robert based upon our respective track records of success in sports administration.

Just now, Jim Prendle said:

I have about as many dealings with Everton FC as you do, and my rating of him is based upon the public success, or lack of it, that he has had in his Everton role.

Rather than berating me for stating that I don't think his track record is anything to write home about, maybe you should be laying out exactly why he should be given the job?

Being from Cas, and a RL fan should not be enough. I'm from Wigan, and a RL fan. WIgan have been more successful than Cas, so I should be given the job. Now that's makes as much sense as giving the job to your mate Robert based upon our respective track records of success in sports administration.

Given you have not had dealings with Everton, you therefore are not aware of what decisions he has made, or those attributable to the owners or the managers. 

Where have I said he should be given the job? 

If you don’t think he is a worthy candidate, again I ask who you would want in the role? 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

If you don’t think he is a worthy candidate, again I ask who you would want in the role? 

Irrelevant.

It's not my job to pick the guy/girl, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the names that are put forward. My opinion is that this one doesn't cut it.

32 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Irrelevant.

It's not my job to pick the guy/girl, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the names that are put forward. My opinion is that this one doesn't cut it.

He did get the longest and the most productive sponsorship,for Everton,with Thai based Chang brewery/beer.

He does have academic qualifications and he has worked to the top positions from a lower position.

Everton have been impressive with their 'Hillsborough' affiliation with Liverpool and their donations/respect to the Bradley Lowery Foundation - they 'do respect' better than any other soccer club.

So,not only been in the organisation before he has branched out into other sports and has experience in the 'real' world beyond sport.

Not a bad cv - http://www.evertonfc.com/content/club/board-of-directors/robert-elstone-profile

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Someone tell me why this guy is a coup. What has this guy achieved that will get me excited for the future of the sport? 

Significant experience running a large sporting organisation (Everton's 2017 turnover is larger than all of UK RL put together) He has experience with the day to day operation of an RL club and has previously worked for the RFL. He's worked for our current broadcast partners. He has significant experience working with local government & negotiating large sponsorship deals. The only box he doesn't tick is having worked with UK Sport/Sport England. 

38 minutes ago, JonM said:

Significant experience running a large sporting organisation (Everton's 2017 turnover is larger than all of UK RL put together) He has experience with the day to day operation of an RL club and has previously worked for the RFL. He's worked for our current broadcast partners. He has significant experience working with local government & negotiating large sponsorship deals. The only box he doesn't tick is having worked with UK Sport/Sport England. 

Interestingly not popular with Everton fans who believe he's undersold the club on sponsorship deals.

Is it Roger Draper MK2 with extra marmite?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I know Robert personally although not professionally, having watched a number of games with him (Leeds vs Cas, being from different sides). Although I know rugby is his first love and he would be keen on the role, I did think he’d want to see through his Everton job in getting them to a new stadium. 

He would be quite a coup 

I would have thought he could be waiting a long time to see Everton move into that new stadium, and he probably knows it. I think once how it is being funded becomes common knowledge at national level, there will be many questions asked about the appropriateness of using state funds to effectively subsidise a Premier League football club's capital development. Just because Joe thinks it a good idea, doesn't mean it is going to happen.

7 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Well here is the Everton fan reaction to him leaving...they hardly seem devastated!

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/elstone-to-leave.102760/

One quote, ouch!

"I didn’t realise he came from Rugby League, no wonder he’s lumbered us with a small time mentality and is happy with various micky mouse sponsorship deals......"

9 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

This would be the guy that that has overseen Everton's fall from top 6 club to relegation fighters, whilst spending an obscene amount of money along the way, and appointing Sam Allardyce as manager?

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

The money Everton have spent is pretty standard these days in the Premier League.  Their decline has been pretty minor and he was there for a good 5 years whilst they were still a top 6 club, the change was due to foreign money coming in to other teams and David Moyes leaving.  

I'd judge him best on commercial success not football though - Manchester United went from champions to 7th despite the highest wage bill in the league and only 3 years later are they recovering to their former level.  That didn't change my opinion of the commercial acumen of Ed Woodward and Richard Arnold though.  He seems to have a decent record in this regard.  

Looking at his background the previous roles with Deloitte Sports Group and Sky are very encouraging, Deloitte are very well regarded in sport.  

It's hard to say how good an appointment this would be, but definitely I'm a lot more positive than if it was an insider.  

5 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Interestingly not popular with Everton fans who believe he's undersold the club on sponsorship deals.

Is it Roger Draper MK2 with extra marmite?

Too be honest I wouldn't go by Everton's  fans comments, as I would any fans like West Ham, Newcastle, or any other to be honest etc etc etc... who all think their clubs are bigger than what they are and are not sitting in their rightful place. Hence blame all and sundry.

Lets be honest we fans know very little if anything about the inner working of clubs and whom made what decisions and the constraints they be working to.

9 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Totally agree but you forgot to mention that he is a Cas fan and therefore the perfect candidate

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Archived