Challenge Cup 5th Round Draw

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Yorkie44 said:

I’m with Gav, I’m excited that Catalan are coming to York, it’s something different from the status quo. Also the way the club are now they are forward thinking and modern enough to know you don’t have to rely on away fans for a big crowd. 

I get that  mate and York can certainly do the business in terms of pulling in local support . The point was around the need to work hard to split a gate receipt. You put 3000 though the door to earn the same as a league one game.... And then go out .  Let's hope they beat the frogs and then get a just reward with a away tie at Hull KR 

14 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Brilliant draw for Coventry and Pilkington and a massive opportunity for both teams this weekend. I've had a soft spot for Widnes since the days of Jonathan Davies so would love a day out there. Let's hope the Bears lads can get a result on Sunday 

You'd love a day out in Widnes? First time anyone has said that in the past couple of centuries I reckon ;)

Tony Chambers was a very popular chairman there for over a decade, I'd expect Widnes to make something of it, if the Bears do beat Pilks.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I like that qualification ... translated as if there’s non attractive enough for our SL audience 

Not really. Last year Sky defaulted on a Round 5 tie only because the round backed out of Easter when they'd been busy with the double weekend then had a Saturday afternoon league game because no Thursday TV match after Easter Monday.  So they defaulted and hence my note on website. Them defaulting is more likely to be down to scheduling than match quality and I don't expect it to happen this time. In terms of the cup Sky have not shyed away from picking good games regardless of status. Wasn't Batley v Featherstone picked the other year? 

23 minutes ago, JonM said:

You'd love a day out in Widnes? First time anyone has said that in the past couple of centuries I reckon ;)

Tony Chambers was a very popular chairman there for over a decade, I'd expect Widnes to make something of it, if the Bears do beat Pilks.

So help me out here, after this round do all the SuperLeague teams come in?

50 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

I get that  mate and York can certainly do the business in terms of pulling in local support . The point was around the need to work hard to split a gate receipt. You put 3000 though the door to earn the same as a league one game.... And then go out .  Let's hope they beat the frogs and then get a just reward with a away tie at Hull KR 

I do get your point, but it’s an occasion to be celebrated we are welcoming an ‘exoctic’ premier team to our city, one in which I believe we have never played before. Personally this is a game that excites me, Fev or Widnes et al coming to town wouldn’t. Hull KR would have been good due to our ‘realtionship’ with them.

I’m my opinion you can’t see the cup as just a big pay day (although yes it is nice) you have to see it as an occasion, a chance at a one off to show off the sport to your city and your potential fan base, get them down impress them hopefully they will return and you build from there. Much better than a one off payment.

Also putting the effort in is absolutely worth the hard work, half of 3000 paying costumers is 1500, half of 1500 is 750, I know that’s worth the effort. There is also the chance of Cats saying keep the gate money.

Clubs have to do for themselves and stop expecting others to do for them, if not get out of the way and let those who do get on with it.

Apoligies that seemed a bit over the top to you comment, but it’s a little of how a feel.

1 minute ago, Yorkie44 said:

I do get your point, but it’s an occasion to be celebrated we are welcoming an ‘exoctic’ premier team to our city, one in which I believe we have never played before. Personally this is a game that excites me, Fev or Widnes et al coming to town wouldn’t. Hull KR would have been good due to our ‘realtionship’ with them.

I’m my opinion you can’t see the cup as just a big pay day (although yes it is nice) you have to see it as an occasion, a chance at a one off to show off the sport to your city and your potential fan base, get them down impress them hopefully they will return and you build from there. Much better than a one off payment.

Also putting the effort in is absolutely worth the hard work, half of 3000 paying costumers is 1500, half of 1500 is 750, I know that’s worth the effort. There is also the chance of Cats saying keep the gate money.

Clubs have to do for themselves and stop expecting others to do for them, if not get out of the way and let those who do get on with it.

Apoligies that seemed a bit over the top to you comment, but it’s a little of how a feel.

Yeah no bother . I'll be one extra paying customer as I'm up in Redcar that weekend. 

27 minutes ago, Yorkie44 said:

Wow, if only more clubs had your attitude to the Cup!!!

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Brilliant draw for Coventry and Pilkington and a massive opportunity for both teams this weekend. I've had a soft spot for Widnes since the days of Jonathan Davies so would love a day out there. Let's hope the Bears lads can get a result on Sunday 

Yes, we need to get passed Pilks. I don't think anyone thinks thats a "gimmee".

Then, Halton Stadium where the Bears have never lost! We played Warrington Wizards there in the 2004 NCL3 final.

Tony Chambers and his wife made us most welcome. They were very supportive and had made a point of coming to Coventry a few times to watch us and cheer us on.

Tragically taken far too young.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Yorkie44 said:

It must be exciting to be a York fan these days...and now Catalans!  What a true turn around!

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

You want Leeds on round 6 right?

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

No. He likes Leeds now.

I got nothing against Leeds...Leeds is nice.....Leeds is good.....got nothing against them.....easy.....easy now!

4 hours ago, wonderofwood said:

Leigh v London has got to be the stand out fixture. 

Haven will be pleased with thier draw they may even break the 500mark 

York & Barrow have the short end of the stick - not much revenue from away support and likely to go out. Let's hope the locals can attend in their numbers

Hate this emphasis on away support... clubs should stop trying to leach off other clubs and focus on growing their own support! 

Away support should be a bonus not a crutch! 

5 hours ago, Medway Bear said:

A couple of people have mentioned splitting. What is the split? 50/50 of the receipts? 50/50 of the profits? 75/25% of receipts?

Just curious. 

I believe it’s 50/50 after expenses have been taken by the home team. This is why amateur teams don’t make any money from these games.

rldfsignature.jpg

Just now, deluded pom? said:

I believe it’s 50/50 after expenses have been taken by the home team. This is why amateur teams don’t make any money from these games.

It’s only 50/50 of the ticket sales after the deduction of the costs of staging the game (stadium costs, stewarding and other staff costs etc).

The financial advantage of being at home is that the Home club keeps 100% of the ancillary income such as bar and food takings, match programme sales, car parking plus any additional commercial income they can generate through corporate hospitality, match sponsorship etc

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived