Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

10-13 May: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Sixth Round Match Thread

Which game are you most interested in?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most interested in?

• Featherstone Rovers v Hull FC
    • Huddersfield Giants v Wakefield Trinity
    • Leigh Centurions v Salford Red Devils
    • Widnes Vikings v Leeds Rhinos
    • Catalans Dragons v Whitehaven
    • Castleford Tigers v St Helens
    • Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors
    • Toronto Wolfpack v Warrington Wolves

9 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Agree.  Our kicking game has been an alternative threat this year.  Copped for a Jamie Ellis shocker today though...

I just don’t think Ellis is SL standard, a good Championship player at best. It shows the lack of quality going around that he is there. Trueman has potential but is not ready yet either.

Kicking was really poor today - just hopeful kicks to the corner from Ellis. No imagination or thought behind it. Why do coaches in SL not tell halves to kick towards the in goal for a repeat set? 

Sadly Cas lack of pivots is really going to hinder them this season 

1 hour ago, Ant said:

I'm struggling to see why Shenton is rated as a good centre tbh

then you're a complete fool.

He's playing at full back

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Just watched on delay . Saints in total control there and never really in top gear. I think Richardson is a very exciting prospect , looks the half we’ve been looking for so long . Great to see a half taking on the line with real threat as well as having all the fundamentals . Bit worried for Cas on that without Gale . Looked as toothless as you’ve seen them in 18 months . Could be a tough period ahead . Just on Wardle, I know he’s been to the knights and now cas but I never see it with him beyond being an honest trier . Looks slow n sluggish and not really a top back or forward 

2 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

then you're a complete fool.

He's playing at full back

Popped up a lot at centre today though. 

Spent most of his day conceding penalties too

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Barba is incredibly elusive. Deceptively so.

34-12

Yeh , he’s not just quick and elusive but he must be really strong . Maybe mind playing tricks but he looks a lot more nuggety nowadays with real leg power . Odds on he’ll be back at cronulla , Flanagan keeping him on speed dial 

1 hour ago, snapski said:

Best team won. Well one man team anyway. Thought we were better upfront with nothing in the backs. God help Saints if Barba gets injured.

Er, he has been injured.  In total, he's missed three games this season.  We won all three of them.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I just don’t think Ellis is SL standard, a good Championship player at best. It shows the lack of quality going around that he is there. Trueman has potential but is not ready yet either.

Kicking was really poor today - just hopeful kicks to the corner from Ellis. No imagination or thought behind it. Why do coaches in SL not tell halves to kick towards the in goal for a repeat set? 

Sadly Cas lack of pivots is really going to hinder them this season 

Annoyingly we have been pretty good at kick for repeat sets until the last couple of games.  Don't understand the kicking strategy today at all.

Agree though poor recruitment, possibly unavoidable and a bit of bad luck has left us very vulnerable.  Annoying because I think our pack is quality!  Hopefully though keep the pack together recruit some backs and we could be a force again next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I don't think a 56-year-old Graham Steadman is the answer, to be honest... :wink: 

Had a beer with him the other week.  He looks like hes probably a better option then in the current squad...

A quick view on Percival and his 'obstructions'. I think he is very clever.

He sees the kick go up and then checks his fb's position. He knows where the attacking winger is and puts himself in a direct line early. He then stays there. The winger is focused on the ball to judge his tackle on the fb and runs into Percival. He doesn't step into the fb's line at the last second, so it's not obstruction, but the fb is blocked either way. Very clever. Or very well judged. IMO.

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Like 4

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Ellis was an odd signing from the start.

In the scheme of it.  I spose it was either desperation to free Roberts up as full back or a squad player if we did the deal prior to Hardaker getting over excited.

51 minutes ago, Ant said:

Popped up a lot at centre today though. 

Spent most of his day conceding penalties too

further confirmtion of my initial viewpoint

• Haha 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

4 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

A quick view on Percival and his 'obstructions'. I think he is very clever.

He sees the kick go up and then checks his fb's position. He knows where the attacking winger is and puts himself in a direct line early. He then stays there. The winger is focused on the ball to judge his tackle on the fb and runs into Percival. He doesn't step into the fb's line at the last second, so it's not obstruction, but the fb is blocked either way. Very clever. Or very well judged. IMO.

The Cas one earlier in the game was exactly that though, Saints player just acted like he'd been shot and 'won' a penalty.  It's either an obstruction or it isn't, despite the amateur dramatics of some players.

Edited by Gates1

6 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

The Cas one earlier in the game was exactly that though, Saints player just acted like he'd been shot and 'won' a penalty.  It's either an obstruction or it isn't, despite the amateur dramatics of some players.

Oh, I agree. Consistency is key, but that wasn't my point.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

23 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Annoyingly we have been pretty good at kick for repeat sets until the last couple of games.  Don't understand the kicking strategy today at all.

Agree though poor recruitment, possibly unavoidable and a bit of bad luck has left us very vulnerable.  Annoying because I think our pack is quality!  Hopefully though keep the pack together recruit some backs and we could be a force again next year.

It’s in games like this I want to see the likes of McShane really step upto the plate and take the game by the scruff of the neck but too often in big games he doesn’t. Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a very good player but I don’t think he’s international quality for these reasons.

I thought Milner showed up well, as he often does but sadly I think he might be off at the end of the season to NRL

It’s always amusing watching Powell’s expressions when they cut to him in games Child is reffing ! I think he’s said before he’s not his biggest fan !

33 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

further confirmtion of my initial viewpoint

Well at least you can have that today

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I think Richardson is a very exciting prospect , looks the half we’ve been looking for so long

Yes, I agree with this.  He seems to be maturing into a very good player and with all the fuss on Barba he is happily flying under the radar.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I didn’t think either were obstruction penalties tbh. 

In both cases the attacking player played for the penalty, pretending you have been shot seems to be the way to go as that gets the result.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It’s in games like this I want to see the likes of McShane really step upto the plate and take the game by the scruff of the neck but too often in big games he doesn’t. Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a very good player but I don’t think he’s international quality for these reasons.

I thought Milner showed up well, as he often does but sadly I think he might be off at the end of the season to NRL

Milner was decent today.  Been giving too many penalties away prior to today to the point of becoming frustrating, needs to tidy that up if he does give the NRL a crack.  He'd be a loss tof Cas but I would like him to back himself and give it a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

The difference between the two was that Minikin seemed to move towards Percival rather than towards the ball - it could of been him trying to position himself in front of Grace rather than taking him on directly, where as when Cas were penalised for sheparding Morgan he was running straight towards where the ball would land. It’s small but why I think one resulted in a penalty and one didnt (rightly or wrongly).

• Like 1