Devons Sharks situation a disgrace.

How far do they have to travel?

My local club sometimes travels 1h30 minutes each way to play even u9s matches. That’s 3 hours of driving for a children’s game.

Adult players in some regional Australian competitions go much further.

Cornish Rebels hosting a Dorset County Giants team this Saturday I hear. Would teams in the league nearest to Cornwall and Devon seek frendlies? Bath and South Somerset maybe. Is a merit league type structure better suited to this area?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

5 minutes ago, audois said:

Cornish Rebels hosting a Dorset County Giants team this Saturday I hear. Would teams in the league nearest to Cornwall and Devon seek frendlies? Bath and South Somerset maybe. Is a merit league type structure better suited to this area?

I am sure they will look at options.  But we need to grow the wider appeal of the sport not contract!

Insane.

17 minutes ago, Copa said:

My local club sometimes travels 1h30 minutes each way to play even u9s matches. That’s 3 hours of driving for a children’s game.

I know plenty of teams that travel a couple of hundred kilometer's every second week that are not far from Brisbane.

I sometimes take my son on a 80 kilometer round trip during the season (in Brisbane)

The nearest home NRL team is 17ks away, the next is nearly 100k's away.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Why have they been turned down from the South West League? They're smack bang in the middle of it. There must be more to this.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

15 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Why have they been turned down from the South West League? They're smack bang in the middle of it. There must be more to this.

They walked out of a league meeting last year when it became clear there weren’t enough clubs to run a local league. The league decided to punish them for that decision by not letting them in the league this year when it reformed 

The concept of distance is a strange thing!  I suspect that a very urban and English view has predominated here to the detriment of the Devon Sharks.

If anybody looks at the website www.shinty.com and keeps in mind that all shinty clubs are amateur and usually village based, and then works out some of the round trips, they will realise that Devon Sharks are positively local - just down the road - for Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire teams. 

My favourite was the journey that the Bute second team had to make for a Sir William Sutherland (i.e. Scottish Junior) Cup game a season or two ago - a 370 mile round trip to play away to Aberdeen University; oh, and with a couple of ferry trips too, of course, to get off and then back on the island.  They fulfilled the fixture, needless to say!

There appears to have been bad blood between them and the other clubs in the area for a few years, there was trouble after a cup final two or three seasons ago, it now appears no local team will play them and let them in the league and I saw an thread between them and a local club on facebook a while ago where they were trying to arrange a friendly which ended up in an argument.

When I lived in Plymouth, it could sometimes take 3-4 hours sat in M5 traffic to get home from Bristol on summer weekends. Lot of people holiday in Cornwall or S. Devon and there's only one road and one railway line.

28 minutes ago, JonM said:

When I lived in Plymouth, it could sometimes take 3-4 hours sat in M5 traffic to get home from Bristol on summer weekends. Lot of people holiday in Cornwall or S. Devon and there's only one road and one railway line.

Exactly John.  The infrastructure in the UK is just not like Australia or France, for instance.  

5 hours ago, bowes said:

They walked out of a league meeting last year when it became clear there weren’t enough clubs to run a local league. The league decided to punish them for that decision by not letting them in the league this year when it reformed 

At some point surely an adult could get involved and settle this!

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Exactly John.  The infrastructure in the UK is just not like Australia or France, for instance.  

Lol.

When I drive to some popular coastal tourist destinations from Canberra I still have to use dirt roads and one river crossing only recently got a bridge.

However you are correct in terms of volumes though... I’ve driven across England and the traffic volumes can be amazing.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Lol.

When I drive to some popular coastal tourist destinations from Canberra I still have to use dirt roads and one river crossing only recently got a bridge.

However you are correct in terms of volumes though... I’ve driven across England and the traffic volumes can be amazing.

Our infrastructure is dire mate.  The government take boatloads of road tax off us, but it certainly doesn’t go on the road network.  Certainly is an issue for many.

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Yet the RFL have tweeted today about so much RL to look forward to in Devon and Cornwall - how many games does that actually mean?

There’s 6 teams in the league (2 new ones) and Exeter are playing friendlies outside of it plus Devon Sharks who have been excluded. The key is if all those teams actually finish the season. 

11 hours ago, Copa said:

Katherine play in the Darwin NT league. For away games they have to travel at least 310km every other week. The NT Titans U14s, who my mate coaches, have players in Alice Springs who have to travel up to Darwin occasionally, and that is 11 hours. Madness.

4 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Katherine play in the Darwin NT league. For away games they have to travel at least 310km every other week. The NT Titans U14s, who my mate coaches, have players in Alice Springs who have to travel up to Darwin occasionally, and that is 11 hours. Madness.

They ought to consider themselves very lucky as they travel along straight roads whereas teams in the UK have to navigate roundabouts.

Archived