Sign in to follow this  
NickWeaver

England vs. France Oct. 17th @ LSV

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Glad to see the ambition of the RFL to put on Englands first home international in 2 years in a stadium which guarantees Englands lowest attendance since the last half assed test we put on there in 2015 and probably the lowest attendance since 2013 when we also half assed a test against the french at the same stadium.

Would have been better doing it in france.

It really is amazing, what must go on at the RFL brainstorming sessions, one can only imagine.

Well it didn't work in 2013 nor 2015 so maybe third time lucky boys..... I know we can give 50% discount on tickets.

Wednesday actually is good for me as I work Weekends, but I have no idea how to get to Leigh and back on a midweek evening.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Just to be contrarian....wasn’t the score 84-4 last time?

Hardly a vehicle to sell rugby league to new areas.

To be fair it was labled a friendly and half the French squad was missing. 

• Thanks 1

This takes no effort, low cost to travel, make tickets as cheap as possible. Easy.

Absolute rubbish.

• Like 5

No problems with England playing a warm-up game prior to the Tests and being in the Northern Hemisphere, there’s a distinct lack of suitable opponents so it was probably always going to be France. 

I do have an issue with the game being a Wednesday night though. I suppose this also plays into Robert Elstone’s hands. The RFL arrange a friendly for a Wednesday night that, no doubt, won’t be marketed and the crowd will be abysmal. 

Disappointing, but quite predictable really.  The reasoning I've heard for Leigh in the past is it's to reward rugby league focused stadiums, but not clear why it is there so often - I suspect they offer the cheapest rate.  

Where would you have held it instead if in England?  Coventry was the first to pop into my head, I think Olympic Stadium would be too large but a smaller ground in London might have worked as well.  

• Thanks 1

I'm afraid I'll have to add my agreement to the dissenting voices.

In 2015, we drew a crowd of 8,300 at Leigh for the warm-up match on a Saturday. Realistically, the best we could hope for is to match this crowd, although with it being on a Wednesday I reckon we're looking at a crowd of 6,000 as a maximum, no TV coverage, and no-one really knowing the match is on.

For the 2021 World Cup, we have reportedly had 40 venues bid for matches with many outside the heartlands. I'd wager that if you gave a match to one of these towns/cities, they would make a better effort at promoting it than Leigh in an attempt to secure a match for 2021, and the associated TV coverage and sponsorship that this would provide.

If 2021 is to be the success we want it to be, then in my opinion any England friendly should no longer be played at a stadium with a capacity less than 20,000, and any competitive England game should no longer be played in a stadium with a capacity less than 30,000 (as a minimum.

And we extend our run of having 1 England game played in London between 2014 and 2019. Yet the RFL will scratch their heads about why the sport doesn't get national recognition...

EDIT:

Just received an email from the RFL about the match which states:

The game will be the first time supporters in the UK will be able to watch the World Cup finalists in action on home soil since the 2016 Four Nations.

This in itself is unacceptable, and probably not something that we should be highlighting!

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 5

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: Social Media Reacts | Storm v Roosters - LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/07/social-media-reacts-melbourne-storm-vs.html

The point that is missed in all this keyboard klattering  is that because it is played 4 days after the Grand Final the England side will not include any of the players who were in said Grand Final.

Evens things up a bit but also becomes a trial game and not a chance for Benny's first choice XIII to get any match practice together.

Good luck marketing this..

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Wow!!

We whine and moan about not having enough international games, then one gets announced, and every single person commenting so far has been negative.

As a group RL fans are pathetic at times.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The point that is missed in all this keyboard klattering  is that because it is played 4 days after the Grand Final the England side will not include any of the players who were in said Grand Final.

Evens things up a bit but also becomes a trial game and not a chance for Benny's first choice XIII to get any match practice together.

Good luck marketing this..

To be fair when the Union side play the Barbarians at Twickenham without players from the top 4 they close the top tier and get a decent crowd. However, totally agree Leigh is an abysmal venue choice.

Tbh I think Huddersfield town being in the Premier League has scuppered us from using the John Smiths. Hull already has a Kiwi match; its not a big enough game for Elland Road and Headingley won't be finished; even Donny would have been better. Best option would have been midlands (Coventry?), the South (Bristol?), London or France. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Wow!!

We whine and moan about not having enough international games, then one gets announced, and every single person commenting so far has been negative.

As a group RL fans are pathetic at times.

Whilst I can agree with the sentiment surely you can see their point.

3 hours ago, XIII Ram said:

Leigh SV + Wednesday night = dismay

I know others have posted the same above - but I had to add my disappointment

...just when you think the game might be starting to show some vision

Nay, it's not that bad, depending on what I am doing that day I could leave home at 18:15, nip into the 'Brittania' for a pint (15 mins walk), amble to the ground (5 mins) or just go straight to the ground from home (12 mins) not a dismay whatsoever, quite sociable really.

Hope those 'Froggies' pull their socks up, it took a full 10 minutes before they threw the towel in last time they played here, you don't know how lucky some of you are in that it is nigh on impossible for you to get to the game, being an avid RL fan and living in the town, one is duty bound to attend, unfortunately I do not expect them to perform any better this time around, I think there will be 50+ points difference again.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Whilst I can agree with the sentiment surely you can see their point.

Which point is that exactly mate? 

I could come on here and spout about it not being in London, it being on a Wednesday night, it not being certain the full team will be playing, it should be in Coventry, it should be at Wembley...... or I could just get my arris down to the LSV, and enjoy a game of rugby.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I could come on here and spout about it not being in London, it being on a Wednesday night, it not being certain the full team will be playing, it should be in Coventry, it should be at Wembley...... or I could just get my arris down to the LSV, and enjoy a game of rugby.

Just that it stinks of tin pot and no ambition 3 years out from us hosting the WC. I will be going, but I doubt many non  regular RL fans will.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Just that it stinks of tin pot and no ambition 3 years out from us hosting the WC. I will be going, but I doubt many non  regular RL fans will.

It's 10 days before the start of a major 3 test series against NZ. It's a warm-up game. Is there any real need to build it up to be something it so obviously isn't?

10 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I take it you’ll be there then Jimmy? Travelling all the way from Wigan?

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

I take it you’ll be there then Jimmy? Travelling all the way from Wigan?

Yes, I will be there. I'll also be at Hull, Leeds, and Liverpool.

What's your point? 

No ambition from the RFL again here with this fixture. You have to BUILD it into an occasion!

Nothing wrong with LSV, but if this is our reach for an international, and on a Wednesday night, then I have no faith in whoever is currently responsible for marketing what should be the pinnacle of our game.

56 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

It's 10 days before the start of a major 3 test series against NZ. It's a warm-up game. Is there any real need to build it up to be something it so obviously isn't?

Well yes, we should always be trying to push our game to the maximum.  The attitude that we have a 3 match test series, so it's ok this is at a small stadium is lazy and small time.  We can try to build it into something more than it is now or settle for LSV as our max.  Rugby Union or Football wouldn't think of downgrading a game like this as a 'warm-up' and in a smaller stadium, even for games that are more of a mismatch.  We're telling people it's not important and they will respond accordingly.  

Its a pointless fixture,was last time. Although a Wednesday night is quite ridiculous. The Macron (Reebok) 8.5 miles up the road, would that have sufficed for the moaners. Seems not to be many complaining about the Challenge Cup double header there.

2 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Well yes, we should always be trying to push our game to the maximum.  The attitude that we have a 3 match test series, so it's ok this is at a small stadium is lazy and small time.  We can try to build it into something more than it is now or settle for LSV as our max.  Rugby Union or Football wouldn't think of downgrading a game like this as a 'warm-up' and in a smaller stadium, even for games that are more of a mismatch.  We're telling people it's not important and they will respond accordingly.  

Fans will respond as they see fit. Many of them will not care about the politics, or the ambition, or the size of the ground, or the fact that it's not in Coventry, or their own back garden.

Why we need to continually compare our game to RU is completely beyond me. I couldn't give a about how RU, or Football for that matter, organise their games, I'm a RL fan, and I just like watching International RL.

People who can only find negatives in everything that the RFL do should maybe go and look for another sport to follow.

1 minute ago, dixiedean said:

So all positive and enthused then? :) 

Should be in France obvs.

No, we should all be downhearted, and depressed. We are supposed to be fans of RL after all, so we wouldn't want to break from tradition, would we?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

So all positive and enthused then? :) 

Should be in France obvs.

I thought it was to become an annual event in England originally. Do the French not have a say in it,after all they are participating in it!