2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Happy with this and it makes sense for all parties I think. He's not a SL player but he's solid at this level. Also he now won't count as one of the maximum 5 loan/DR players we can use each week. 

Plus flexible in covering positions which is important when injuries strike.Good signing.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have now signed a guy who scored the winning try in the World Club Championship (Cameron King) and a guy who scored the winning try in the SL Grand Final (Josh Walters).

To complete the set, I'm confidently anticipating the announcement that we have signed the guy who scored the winning try in the 2017 World Cup Final, Boyd Cordner, currently captain of Australia, New South Wales and last year's NRL Champions Sydney Roosters.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We have now signed a guy who scored the winning try in the World Club Championship (Cameron King) and a guy who scored the winning try in the SL Grand Final (Josh Walters).

To complete the set, I'm confidently anticipating the announcement that we have signed the guy who scored the winning try in the 2017 World Cup Final, Boyd Cordner, currently captain of Australia, New South Wales and last year's NRL Champions Sydney Roosters.

You’re not far off, Barba.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We might get Cameron Smith for a game or two, but that would be the local lad rather than the Aussie? 

13 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

Hope "Coolie" is keeping up with the news. This means we can have two more different players on DR????

It might also mean that Rhinos will now have room on their salary cap to bring someone else in? Which would mean another of their squad players unable to get a game with them, and coming to Fev on D/R?

4 minutes ago, haskey said:

So do we know who has been given the shirt 1 & 2 yet and anyone seen a team photo.?

Turner wore 1 and Briscoe 2 last week, with their names on. Perhaps suggests that we're hoping to get Briscoe on a regular basis and that the loan period for Turner might be extended beyond the first month. Not sure whether the original plan would have been for Golding to be the regular full back and wear the number 1 jersey though.

I guess the team photo has been hard to do with players coming into the team right up to the season opener (and two permament additions announced this week). It's noticeable that there's no current link to the "Squad" on the official website, but as the squad itself has been a work in progress throughout recent weeks it would have been very hard to do it, maybe we'll see that link return in a while.

Isn't the wording re both the Ormandroyd and Walters signings a bit vague on the Rovers website ?  No mention whether loans / permanent / how long for ?  

I just hope there's not some Briscoe-style agreement that Leeds can have them back if / when they need them (which will probably be when we need them the most) 

Whatever the basis is - they'll still be regarded as Rhino's in the eyes of our favourite Batley / Dews / Fax / Bulls fans.

11 hours ago, plug said:

Just been reading on the main total rl forum that we are in talks with toronto about bringing ryan brierly to fev also in talks with a SL team about a forward too

Maybe to be used to solve our lack of a permanent full back? Although on this point I have seen nothing wrong in Turner, apart from the fact he is only here for a month and I would prefer our full back to covered by a permanent signing.

12 hours ago, plug said:

Just been reading on the main total rl forum that we are in talks with toronto about bringing ryan brierly to fev also in talks with a SL team about a forward too

and the same forum says  ileague express reporting leeds trying to offload players so would have thought these better option than breirley

On 2/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, RobLambert said:

Isn't the wording re both the Ormandroyd and Walters signings a bit vague on the Rovers website ?  No mention whether loans / permanent / how long for ?  

I just hope there's not some Briscoe-style agreement that Leeds can have them back if / when they need them (which will probably be when we need them the most) 

Whatever the basis is - they'll still be regarded as Rhino's in the eyes of our favourite Batley / Dews / Fax / Bulls fans.

I will go out on a limb and says its pay back for the briscoe fiasco? It's just a workaround and Im sure if the Rhinos really want them back then they would just sign new contracts for the Rhinos. I can see it from both points of view to be honest, as a fan I want to see the best team on the field that we could possibly get because as a fan its really just about winning games. There is always that thing in the back of your mind though if you are doing it when half the team don't actually belong to your club. I do not blame your chairman one little bit though for clutching at every last straw that he can.

Have we suddenly become cashed-up?  If the rumours of Brierley and A.N.Other "Super League Forward" (Baldwinson) are true, that won't be cheap, neither will Walters and Ormandroyd.

I'm about 8,000% more positive about this season that I was a month ago.  Think we're in danger of building something special here.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I will go out on a limb and says its pay back for the briscoe fiasco? It's just a workaround and Im sure if the Rhinos really want them back then they would just sign new contracts for the Rhinos. I can see it from both points of view to be honest, as a fan I want to see the best team on the field that we could possibly get because as a fan its really just about winning games. There is always that thing in the back of your mind though if you are doing it when half the team don't actually belong to your club. I do not blame your chairman one little bit though for clutching at every last straw that he can.

Ah that old 'half a team' exaggeration again.

17 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Think Brierley was class when he was playing for Leigh but when he left for Huddersfield he was pretty poor and doesn’t look half the player he used to be.

reading a few comments on Twitter it doesn't sound like the story is a goer anyway. Though it's a bit confusing because Aaron Bower broke the story and Matt Shaw rubbished it, they used to work together and seemed best buddies but I think Bower has moved jobs now.

Archived