The Qualifiers - Predictions

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know the fixtures, just not the schedule. That is who plays who where, but not when. Announcement August 1st.

Predictions. HKR and Leeds to stay up. Would be gobsmacked if this didn't happen.

Halifax , London, Toulouse to stay down, whilst keeping it reasonably close.

Fear Widnes may go too. 3 wins from 23 is a very poor record, and you can't just flick a switch. Winning is a habit. They don't have it.

Will push my neck out and say Salford as third place, cos they play Toronto at home.

Which means TWP v Widnes in MPG.

I think Leeds and HKR will make the top 3 pretty comfortably and i fancy Toronto to get 3rd, though i predict the latter with less confidence than the former 2.

Can't see Halifax making the shake up and i think London will fall short too. I wouldn't totally rule out Toulouse sneaking in to the million pound game but I think Salford v Widnes is more likely with Salford to win it.

I'd not be massively surprised to be wide of the mark with plenty of the above though, which is all the more reason why i'm looking forward to it tremendously.

With the top 4 looking so secure in the Super 8s it feels almost like that lot is kind of on hold till the semi finals so the Qualifiers are largely going to take centre stage for me till then.

Can't wait to watch it all unfold.

Also, with 4 of the above plus Feathersone, Leigh and probably Bradford and York in the Championship next year, what a cracking league that's going to be!

With such depth it'd be a great shame if nobody beneath the champions got some sort of crack at promotion. Such is the desire it seems to reduce the level of jeapordy in Super League that i suspect i'm hoping against hope with this, but i'd love for there to be some kind of play offs for positions 2nd down to maybe 4th or 5th, with whoever emerges victorious travelling to the 2nd bottom team in Super League in a sort of new version of the million pound game.

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

We know the fixtures, just not the schedule. That is who plays who where, but not when. Announcement August 1st.

Predictions. HKR and Leeds to stay up. Would be gobsmacked if this didn't happen.

Halifax , London, Toulouse to stay down, whilst keeping it reasonably close.

Fear Widnes may go too. 3 wins from 23 is a very poor record, and you can't just flick a switch. Winning is a habit. They don't have it.

Will push my neck out and say Salford as third place, cos they play Toronto at home.

Which means TWP v Widnes in MPG.

I figure Toronto gets through before the MPG but can you imagine the press coverage and crowd in Toronto for an MPG event.   It would be earth shattering and propel Toronto into the mindset of the mainstream sports fan...almost there now but this would be like giving one of those adrenal shots to a heart attack victim....ahhhh.... the stuff of dreams.

Does anyone have a link to a list that shows who plays who, or can they put one in here.

I have a specific interest in Toulouse, but having an awareness of the others let's me enter the speculation game better equipped.

Can't see Leeds or HKR going down, but depending on the above, I think we could see some strange things happening with the Championship clubs being potentially disruptive.   Especially TWP  playing trans atlantic at home.   The Championship standard seems to have been better and tighter than previous years in the top 6 - is that just me talking or are others  seeing this to ?

I can see the Million Pound Game being incredibly tight this year. I can’t separate four teams and anyone who doesn’t make the MPG will be gutted. 

I think Leeds will have maximum points and Hull KR will be safe with a game or two to spare but then I can’t separate Salford, Widnes, Toronto and London for the other automatic place in Super League and the teams for the MPG. 

I reckon Leeds and Hull kr will stay up comfortably, they should have too much quality for the rest of the teams.

Salford and Widnes look dire and both look in real trouble. They had both best hope they get home ties against a Championship team first so they can try and pick up an early win to get some confidence. 

As for the championship teams Toronto should be able to finish above Salford and Widnes, they have a winning mentality despite their last game but I also feel they could slip up away from home to another Championship team.

Toulouse will fancy winning their home games and could shock a SL team but I also think they will lose all their away games so I reckon they will finish 7th or 8th.

London I feel could be dark horses. They have finished the season in excellent form and could throw a spanner in the works if they can pick up a win against a SL team.

Fax, well we should finish bottom but we also shouldnt have finished in the top 4. We will have a lot of fun and will likely fancy our chances of beating Salford and Toronto at home. Away from home will be very tough for us but again we know we are capable of beating both of the other championship teams and will have a real shot at Widnes. Our record against Hull KR is not that bad either but I wouldnt expect to get anything over there. I literally can't wait for the Leeds home game, it would be great to see a big crowd down the Shay and its just a shame our other home game wasnt against Hull KR as we know they travel in their numbers.

Momentum is a big thing in sport.

If London get Widnes in their first game, you'd have to say that London would be favourites. When did Widnes last win a game? London have been winning and scoring points for fun in their charge for the Top 4.

So, the fixtures will play a large part, I feel, in what could get an incredibly close and nerve-shredding series of matches.

5 hours ago, Snowman123 said:

Does anyone have a link to a list that shows who plays who, or can they put one in here.

I have a specific interest in Toulouse, but having an awareness of the others let's me enter the speculation game better equipped.

Can't see Leeds or HKR going down, but depending on the above, I think we could see some strange things happening with the Championship clubs being potentially disruptive.   Especially TWP  playing trans atlantic at home.   The Championship standard seems to have been better and tighter than previous years in the top 6 - is that just me talking or are others  seeing this to ?

I just saw this!  Here you go!  No dates till Wednesday :/

Screenshot_2018-07-30-09-22-00-436_com.android.chrome.png

As bad as Widnes have been they would be massive favourites to beat London Broncos. I’d imagine the bookies would give London a 16-20 point head start. 

Toulouse are great at home and would fancy their chances of winning a couple of games but it would be very difficult to see them winning enough games to go up. 

Toronto: I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t go up. There’s a massive difference between putting 60 past Rochdale and Barrow and competing with Super League sides. I think they will make the million pound game against Widnes or Salford. 

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

When are the actual fixtures out?

Can see Toronto winning every home game and at least one away...

I heard/read Aug 1st (Wednesday). 

I'm probably the only TO fan gutted it's 4@ home haha.  I should be at all 3 away games, making my second visit to the Shay this year!

I’m not so sure. I think there’s a few surprises coming. 

How much stronger is HKR than last year in the Championship, and how do they compare with Leigh last year.

The reason I ask is that TO beat them at home and away last season. 

Leeds look hone and hosed. But then ....,

If Toulouse or London can beat each other AND beat Halifax I feel either are good enough to get at least one win against the sl sides. Widnes and Halifax to finish bottom 2 for me. Would love to have at least Toronto and Toulouse up, with London in MPG.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

2 minutes ago, nec said:

If Toulouse or London can beat each other AND beat Halifax I feel either are good enough to get at least one win against the sl sides. Widnes and Halifax to finish bottom 2 for me. Would love to have at least Toronto and Toulouse up, with London in MPG.

This is very plausible.

If I was a Leeds fan I'd be very nervous right now. They haven't strengthened and they have continued to struggle since Saint Kev took over too. I'm not sure it'll be an easy ride for them.

Hull KR have a lot of firepower and enough defence to control things. I think they will end up top of the pile.

Widnes I'd say were doomed but then made some quick signings, with an extra week to get them into shape...we will see.

Salford could go one of two ways...thin squad but with some gems in there. Fitness will be key for them, a couple of injuries will be disaster.

Toronto are poorly coached imo. And have rarely been tested. This could be their undoing as the Fev game showed. If the incumbent SL clubs find their form TWP won't have enough to turn them over I don't think. Unless they themselves remember these won't be easy games.

TO, Fax and London I think will compete in some great games but come up short. Shame because I think all 3 would be good in SL.

Widnes plus AN Other in the MPG

20 minutes ago, Snowman123 said:

How much stronger is HKR than last year in the Championship, and how do they compare with Leigh last year.

The reason I ask is that TO beat them at home and away last season. 

We're a lot stronger than last year and certainly stronger than Leigh were at this stage in 2017.

In the two defeats to Toulouse last season, the away game we rested a number of players and the home game was a dead rubber for us as we had already secured top spot.

I really look forward to this time of the year, some fascinating fixtures here and pretty hard to call... I'm going to bottle out of making a prediction but cant wait for it all to start.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Widnes have at least 6 of their best 17 to come back for the 8s in Houston, Gubb, White, Dudson, Gerrard and Heremaia. I wouldn’t write them off yet. They were very good for spells against Cas who scored two intercepts and swooped on a loose ball to score from long range. Whilst you would expect them to be in the MPG at best they could produce shocks. 

I have a sneaking feeling Leeds will not finish top as most predict. 

Interesting times.

2 minutes ago, Brigg Rover said:

If that fixture thing is right then we have 3 very tough away games Leeds, Toronto and Toulouse that's some miles we are going to rack up!

Will the fans travel? Could be fun times. 

Archived