Would It Help Leeds To Be Relegated?

37 minutes ago, Spidey said:

SL has been fine without Bradford. It’ll be fine without Leeds. I’d expect Leeds to bounce back straight away though.

Well SL used to average over 10.2k and now it is down to 8.5k. Without Leeds it may drop to 7.7k - that's probably not just fine. We simply have no like for likes to compensate.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Well SL used to average over 10.2k and now it is down to 8.5k. Without Leeds it may drop to 7.7k - that's probably not just fine. We simply have no like for likes to compensate.

Unless Toronto come up and the game really takes off over there.

Big rebuilding job to be done at Leeds,probably take at least 3 years to challenge the top four.But look how much Catalan have improved since last season after last years nondescript performances.I like how Sinfield stressed before the game he was not the coach he must have read the tea leaves.

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Was 10.2k in 2012 ? when literally 1000s of free and cheap ticket were being given out by the SL clubs

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We need Toronto to eventually add to the elite and powerful clubs in SL not replace them.

True. But at least if Toronto come up at Leeds' expense it should soften the blow to attendances a little.

All getting a bit ahead of this...What if the "dubious" forward pass hadn't been given? Myler was over, probable 6 pointer, game on. Not saying they would have won, but it wouldn't have got so ugly.

Leeds have all the symptoms of Catalanitis from early season. A team of talented players low on confidence whose heads drop on bad calls. Am reminded of what a good side Les Dracs looked taking a 23-4 lead against Wigan some months ago. A couple of bad decisions and they imploded.

Not so today. 2 or 3 iffy penalties and they came roaring back.

A good win against Toulouse and she'll be right.

Still got to get Moon and Myler to tackle though.

30 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Was 10.2k in 2012 ? when literally 1000s of free and cheap ticket were being given out by the SL clubs

I hear this sort of thing said a lot. Your evidence for that is?

I remember the early 2010s when season ticket sales were at an all time high however. Also more 15k+ and 20k+ crowds than we have seen in a long time

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I hear this sort of thing said a lot. Your evidence for that is?

I remember the early 2010s when season ticket sales were at an all time high however. Also more 15k+ and 20k+ crowds than we have seen in a long time

So you did mean 2012? Do your own home work i cant be arsesd with this constant need for circular arguments

Don't laugh but I can't see why Leeds let Jordan Lilley come to us on an 18-month loan. They needed him to be at least on the bench to kick for goals and field position. He wasn't getting picked so there's obviously been a concentration on uptempo rugby with no Plan B.

He's come to us twice now and has never sulked but always  put everything in. When he came last season he was captaining the team on occasion, picked in front of  permanent Bulls players.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 hours ago, RayCee said:

I didn't think I would say this about a team with the highest spectator attendances in SL but maybe rebuilding would be better achieved in the Championship. This team is starting to look well short of other SL teams in terms of just about every attribute needed to compete at that level. Losing week after week just makes that job so much harder. It knocks the confidence. BM used to say we just need some bodies back, but this is well beyond injury issues. KS has a lot of work to do and I hope he's up to the task. Playing and coaching are two different things. 

I would have to say as a TWP fan I would prefer if we stay down another year than have Leeds drop this year. they are a rather large pillar for the game and i would rather be a part of a healthier game in the future than a part of whatever the SL would be next year without them. imagine if Windes and Salford stayed up but Leeds got relegated...

the Champ would again be a better league than SL so maybe SKY would finally start showing some Champ games so there might be a sliver lining if it does happen.

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Don't laugh but I can't see why Leeds let Jordan Lilley come to us on an 18-month loan. They needed him to be at least on the bench to kick for goals and field position. He wasn't getting picked so there's obviously been a concentration on uptempo rugby with no Plan B.

He's come to us twice now and has never sulked but always  put everything in. When he came last season he was captaining the team on occasion, picked in front of  permanent Bulls players.

We’re laughing. He’s not good enough at Super League level. 

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

What’s the suggestion. Leeds & Bradford play to different rules to the rest of the league?

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We could all play to the same rules, just make rules arent damaging to the top tier. 

By and large the biggest drop in attendances the game has seen can be traced back to the attempts to punish Bradford. 

So you want sides to not be Relegated because they have a big crowd? That makes the whole point of the game redundant then. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

What’s the suggestion. Leeds & Bradford play to different rules to the rest of the league?

Nope the thread was about relegation would do Leeds good. I said it would be an absolute disaster for the competition all round. 

As a TV sport you protect your product and spectacle. RL and RU should both franchise as thats really the best way to keep strong big stadia teams in SL and make the game look better to the casual fan. And to expand the game.. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

There’s a number of factors. It’s not all about Bradford

Who the hell said it was? I just responded to a statement that I disagreed with.  Losing a successful Bradford from SL (and the decline before the fall) lost the competition a lot of supporters as well as one of its big-pull names in the media and a powerhouse academy whose products you see well-represented in international jerseys. NONE OF WHICH HAVE BEEN REPLACED. Losing leeds, the most financially stable and secure club in the competition in the current SL situation would IMO be an order of magnitude worse for the competition. At least as bad as losing a Saints or Wigan.

My observation about it all going a bit stale was a general comment about the state of SL. It desperately needs some new blood, some new reboot IMO. Whether Toronto and/or TO should be or will be allowed to be part of that is a separate discussion.  But at the moment SL is fading into insignificance on a mational scale and in the perception of the wider public, let alone the media. The more "big names" it loses, the more big youth development operations it loses, the faster that trend accelerates I fear.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Nope the thread was about relegation would do Leeds good. I said it would be an absolute disaster for the competition all round. 

It’d be more damaging to Leeds than the competition itself. 

Clubs decide their own fate, if we want the competition to protect clubs from themselves I’d sugggest we need licensing. 

8 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Who the hell said it was? I just responded to a statement that I disagreed with.  Losing a successful Bradford from SL (and the decline before the fall) lost the competition a lot of supporters as well as one of its big-pull names in the media and a powerhouse academy whose products you see well-represented in international jerseys. NONE OF WHICH HAVE BEEN REPLACED. Losing leeds, the most financially stable and secure club in the competition in the current SL situation would IMO be an order of magnitude worse for the competition. At least as bad as losing a Saints or Wigan.

My observation about it all going a bit stale was a general comment about the state of SL. It desperately needs some new blood, some new reboot IMO. Whether Toronto and/or TO should be or will be allowed to be part of that is a separate discussion.  But at the moment SL is fading into insignificance on a mational scale and in the perception of the wider public, let alone the media. The more "big names" it loses, the more big youth development operations it loses, the faster that trend accelerates I fear.

It’s up to the big names to perform like big clubs. Leeds are in their position due to their performances. If the competition can’t afford to lose “big clubs” the chance of relegation has to be removed 

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But, competition wise Leeds have not performed very well this season hence the league position they find themselves in, and as far as other clubs are concerned  losing revenue through the "vast armies" of travelling Leeds fans is non existant, they do not travel in numbers outside of their locallity.

One thing that would be a silver lining from the cloud of Leeds being relegated is not having to put up with the televising of their games with such regularity, that has been real 'car crash' tv this year, we know they are bad, it is just the morbid curiosity value that keeps people tuning in.

10 hours ago, Adeybull said:

SL losing Bradford was a chuffing disaster for SL. Total, unmitigated disaster IMO. Losing Leeds would be nothing short of an absoluted unmitigated total catastrophe.

Adey, the post was about whether Leeds would benefit having a year in the Championship. If the current system is retained for 2019, then making the Qualifiers will mean they would have four SL teams to aim at getting back up after one season. In the meantime, they could regroup and come back stronger. If Leeds can pull things around without going down that painful route, all the better.

l do think your comparison with the Bulls situation is flawed. The Bulls were in a poor financial condition and kept trying to spend their way to success. Leeds is sound financially and in much better shape overall. 

I don' t want the Rhinos to go down but if they do, hopefully the four promotion spots will still be what’s on offer. If they fail in the 2018 Qualifiers, they will be relegated. That’s the system. It won’t be the end of RL as we know it. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Back when Wigan were looking like we were about to get relegate people were saying things like "the championship needs Wigan" it amuses me the difference in attitudes now its one of the other big clubs.

That said I agree with the consensus on here, that it would be a huge problem for us as a sport if Leeds were relegated. Honestly, they need a good coach. No disrespect to Sinfield but they need experience and a steady hand and the sooner that person comes in the better.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It’s up to the big names to perform like big clubs. Leeds are in their position due to their performances. If the competition can’t afford to lose “big clubs” the chance of relegation has to be removed 

100% certain would be that should Leeds get relegated there will be no closed shop announcement from anyone this season as to the future of the game after the current cycle as run its course, if they stay in SL that could change, I fully expect that Leeds current predicament will be the controlling factor of any further announcements to be made.

Were a lot of fans lost or did they go to watch another team?

I'm not convinced that a lot of the (lost) Bradford fans aren't watching teams like Castleford whose crowd has grown massively due to success on the field. A few seasons ago they were getting gates of 3k in the Championship, they are now getting 7k+. I find it hard to believe that these are all newcomers to the game.

Surely that is what is wrong with the game, since Wigan's dominance in the 80's the game has been fairly predictable with all of the honours shared between by approx 5 clubs ever since. The Championship has not been able to compete because of a lack of money and a closed shop.

The weaker the championship, the weaker the game is as a whole because there is no competition on the lesser SL teams. This has a knock on to the whole game, the weaker the lesser SL teams become, the less competition in the top flight and therefore a poorer competition. 

Once the game sorts the funding distribution in the Championship and C1, the better the game will become. 

Sadly we have a short termist approach to the game though, if the foundations of the game are weak, the poorer the whole game becomes.

Archived