Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bulliac

Pitch markings at Lamport Stadium

4 minutes ago, amm said:

Looking for a business partner, with practical experience in building prototypes in plastic....I'm onto something here, we just need to do vertical lines to project rugby league pitch markings....bingo bingo Dragons Den here we come

IMG_0248.JPG

do you do those in a "rose tint" for "them that thought t'were better in their day"?

• Like 1

Just now, RP London said:

do you do those in a "rose tint" for "them that thought t'were better in their day"?

Once the first prototype is designed, I'm sure it will be easy peasie to do a range, might even do ones with cgi crowds

• Haha 3

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

1 minute ago, amm said:

Once the first prototype is designed, I'm sure it will be easy peasie to do a range, might even do ones with cgi crowds

As long as its easy to switch to "blanking out crowds" just in case Elstone makes a success of his role and you can keep the curmudgeons happy too then.. 

• Like 1

• This david Argyle bloke is supposedly very wealthy,real wealth not "doctored" wealth....see what I did there ;)

Anyway...why not buy lamport off Toronto city council and turn it into a dedicated RL venue? 

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

23 hours ago, Kayakman said:

backIt gets even more interesting in that the actual 'yard' used changed in the 1950's all over the world and the actual 'Canadian' yard was adopted throughout the world.  There  is a real possibility that the older stadiums in England are not up to code since when they were designed they were using the old outdated system and not properly modified to the Canadian (and subsequent) world wide standard.  It could be that Lamport is actually correct and many of the old stadiums in England are therefore  incorrect!  OH THE AGONY!

Lol, I guess the Canadian yard has 36 Canadian inches in it! Of course, us Brits have been on proper, modern, metric measurements for years...?.

Funnily enough, even though I've got several relatives in Canada, I couldn't tell you what the national system is over there, though I assume it's still the old fashioned (ex-British) yards feet and inches. Not, of course, to be confused with the Yankee system which, being the US will obviously have much bigger inches, feet and yards. In fact, I've seen some of their yards and I can say quite definitely that you couldn't fit a swimming pool into our backyards in the UK.

Edited by Bulliac
  • Haha 1

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

4 hours ago, roughyedspud said:
  • This david Argyle bloke is supposedly very wealthy,real wealth not "doctored" wealth....see what I did there ;)

Anyway...why not buy lamport off Toronto city council and turn it into a dedicated RL venue? 

Great idea. Don't see why all the community football (soccer), lacrosse, and rugby teams can't just play in the middle of the traffic on King Street.

2 hours ago, Bulliac said:

Funnily enough, even though I've got several relatives in Canada, I couldn't tell you what the national system is over there, though I assume it's still the old fashioned (ex-British) yards feet and inches.

Canada went metric in the 1970s. So driving speeds and distances are in km (we call them 'klicks') but we still describe people's height in feet and inches. Celsius for weather temperature but most stoves are Fahrenheit. I have never fathomed the difference between Imperial, metric, Canadian and US pints - a beer is a beer. And for cooking and baking, we use cups rather than ounces, so much easier.

We also have a 20-hour day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loup said:

Canada went metric in the 1970s. So driving speeds and distances are in km (we call them 'klicks') but we still describe people's height in feet and inches. Celsius for weather temperature but most stoves are Fahrenheit. I have never fathomed the difference between Imperial, metric, Canadian and US pints - a beer is a beer. And for cooking and baking, we use cups rather than ounces, so much easier.

Thanks for that.

We went metric some time back but with the odd exception, like we still officially use miles for road signs and speed limits are in mph. We also still have pints for milk and beer. Informally, most still use feet and inches for height and stones and pounds for weight, though when visiting the doctor it's centimetres and Kgs. All weather forecasts are in Celsius, and most people use that in daily life though a few die-hards still hang on to Fahrenheit.

Our days still come with a full complement of 24 hours, though many of them are not supplied with light by our major energy supplier (AKA the Sun). This is of particular importance in Scotland where many days in winter have only four hours supplied with light with the opposite in Summer. Some have considered changing the energy supplier, but the current one is very cheap (essentially free) so even if a new supplier could provide more lighted hours the value might not be any better..?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Loup said:

How do you know which size cup to use? Can I use a mug instead? How many mugs make a cup? So many questions!

22 minutes ago, Moove said:

How do you know which size cup to use? Can I use a mug instead? How many mugs make a cup? So many questions!

Wont be an England mug i take it.. 

On 8/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, M j M said:

If a topic's not about Huddersfield, we need to make it about Huddersfield.

Thats because they are the most ignored club in the game,literally no one talks about Huddersfield except Huddersfield fans

On 8/21/2018 at 4:08 PM, Loup said:

What size cups do you use?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

On 8/20/2018 at 1:56 PM, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Nope never happened. OT is a 100m field - it just has tiny in-goal areas. Some people have suggested it would be safer to have a short 30-40m line for safety reasons but you can safely assume the SL don't want their showpiece event to evidently be getting played on a pitch that isn't full size. 

It's Anfield I was thinking of.

In an intriguing example of his forensic attention to detail, Cronk gave the following assessment of the impact of a shortened playing arena.

"From what I gather the 10 metres lines may be brought in a metre at each point so it doesn't really change (much)," 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/86510158/safety-concerns-mean-anfield-will-be-nine-metres-short-for-four-nations-final

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

11 hours ago, jpmc said:

Thats because they are the most ignored club in the game,literally no one talks about Huddersfield except Huddersfield fans

Though of course, you both just proved this to be false. Thanks

3 hours ago, brooza said:

Ah okay - I see where you got this from now. I think Mr Cronk is that unused to playing on a shortened field he maybe assumed that is what happened. However I can confirm, as I said before, the only way (or the correct way should I say) to shorten the field if not 100m is for a 'short 10" between 30/40m line. As you can see, that's what they did in the end and is the same as Cas, Hull FC and many of the Championship sides do. 

image.png.e9c0375a2227dce4c0c5a272290522f9.png

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Ah okay - I see where you got this from now. I think Mr Cronk is that unused to playing on a shortened field he maybe assumed that is what happened. However I can confirm, as I said before, the only way (or the correct way should I say) to shorten the field if not 100m is for a 'short 10" between 30/40m line. As you can see, that's what they did in the end and is the same as Cas, Hull FC and many of the Championship sides do. 

image.png.e9c0375a2227dce4c0c5a272290522f9.png

Of course Cronk is unused to playing on a shortened field.  When have you ever seen such a thing in the NRL or anywhere else down under?

Just now, Big Picture said:

Of course Cronk is unused to playing on a shortened field.  When have you ever seen such a thing in the NRL or anywhere else down under?

I think me and you are out on our own when it comes to this topic, BP. It's a source of constant irritation to me that we don't enforce 100m fields and worse still that we don't even do it at international level. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think me and you are out on our own when it comes to this topic, BP. It's a source of constant irritation to me that we don't enforce 100m fields and worse still that we don't even do it at international level. 

It's a sign of the poor cousin mentality in English RL, the acceptance that as a small, regional, low-profile, glamourless sport it has to make do.  Unfortunately they don't see how it portrays that very image to casual viewers and outsiders.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Given the amount of land and minimal number of people in Aus that is hardly a surprise. 

In Europe though, things are much different. Many grounds were originally constructed in already fairly well built up areas and land was much more 'at a premium'. Many grounds were constructed as 100 yard pitches and when the conversion to metric came it was impossible to simply move the posts back 10 yards/metres as the goal posts would have been, quite literally, in the stands.

I guess that Lamport suffers from the same problem, of the original European ground builders; trying to shoehorn a ground into an already well developed area.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, Moove said:

2 cups make a mug and 4 mugs make a jug.

(2 Whingers make a British Standard 'annoying person'  ) ... hilarious, I cannot edit that!!!

This thread is clearly aimed at encouraging Alzheimers' to hang on to their remaining grey cells.  It has just reminded me of when I was a 5yr old at school, playing with water and measuring out quarts pints and gills.  Got very wet.

And... How many 'threads' make a rope, and how long does a rope have to be to hang oneself.

Edited by Rupert Prince
impossible to edit!
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Correct. I am with you. Widths are less important, but should be as wide as possible. 

We are strangled by our history... And our cramped towns.  It's pretty poor that so few purpose built grounds are properly sized.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

Given the amount of land and minimal number of people in Aus that is hardly a surprise. 

In Europe though, things are much different. Many grounds were originally constructed in already fairly well built up areas and land was much more 'at a premium'. Many grounds were constructed as 100 yard pitches and when the conversion to metric came it was impossible to simply move the posts back 10 yards/metres as the goal posts would have been, quite literally, in the stands.

I guess that Lamport suffers from the same problem, of the original European ground builders; trying to shoehorn a ground into an already well developed area.

And to hark back to what I previously said, why did we have to arbitarily lengthen the off side distance from 10 yards to 10m?  It's obvious that an extra 10m cannot be whistled up from nowhere to extend the stadia.  So why not leave the length of off side distance to 10 yards and call it 9m.  It's just a reference line at the end of the day. 

Edited by Rupert Prince

32 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

And to hark back to what I previously said, why did we have to arbitarily lengthen the off side distance from 10 yards to 10m?  It's obvious that an extra 10m cannot be whistled up from nowhere to extend the stadia.  So why not leave the length of off side distance to 10 yards and call it 9m.  It's just a reference line at the end of the day. 

The change was to go metric not to carry on in 'imperial'. They could have carried on using yards, as soccer did (and still does) but the country went metric and RL wanted to go with it.

The old pitch markings at the time we went metric were very different. Back in the seventies there were no US football type 'gridlines' every ten yards - there were only two lines (plus the halfway line), which were intended, assuming a 100 yard pitch, to be 'quarter' lines and were marked at 25 yards from the goal lines. On shorter fields they were obviously nearer the centre line than the goal line.

On metrication the old 25 yard line was changed to a 25 metre line in RL and the maximum length increased to 100 metres - union went down the other route and used the nearest metric equivalent to 25 yards and put their line at 22 metres, which they still use to this day.

The idea of ten metre lines, were never a change from a ten yard line as ten yard lines never existed. The ten metre 'gridlines' were totally new and were put in some years after the metric change, to help the referee keep players on-side and to help judge whether the ball had been kicked the ten metres required to bring it back into play. You can't use ten yard lines without going back to imperial and I can't see that happening.

Edited by Bulliac