7 Oct: League 1 Promotion Final: Bradford Bulls v Workington Town KO 3pm

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Bradford Bulls
    • Workington Town

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/18 at 14:00

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping we break a season long habit against Worky...

I'm sure we're more than good enough, our league position and points record show that, but we need to show it in the game and be good from the off as they are a pretty useful  side themselves. No time for nerves.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

An intriguing tie really. Town have beaten Bulls twice using the same tactics. Will Leon stick with the same plan or will he go with something completely different ? It's an interesting battle between an old head and a young gun. If Leon can outsmart Kear then it will really establish him as a coach who can go onto better things.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

14 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Really hope Workington do it. It would be good to have a Cumbrian presence back in the Championship. 

There already is a Cumbrian presence in the Championship - Barrow.

17 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Really hope Workington do it. It would be good to have a Cumbrian presence back in the Championship. 

That statement's pretty much blown your credibility! :)

Or are you stuck in the "Barrow is in Lancashire" time warp?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Town did the league double Bulls turn this time, but be nice to see Workington back in Championship, having said that be better for Fev if Bulls win crowd wise. Good luck to both of them. 

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

That statement's pretty much blown your credibility! :)

Or are you stuck in the "Barrow is in Lancashire" time warp?

There is still a Barrow isn’t in Cumbria line around you can hear now n again , believe me !

3 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Town did the league double Bulls turn this time, but be nice to see Workington back in Championship, having said that be better for Fev if Bulls win crowd wise. Good luck to both of them. 

Loser still gets another shot, right? Or will they change the system again before Sunday?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

An intriguing tie really. Town have beaten Bulls twice using the same tactics. Will Leon stick with the same plan or will he go with something completely different ? It's an interesting battle between an old head and a young gun. If Leon can outsmart Kear then it will really establish him as a coach who can go onto better things.

I'm sure Workington will come in firing on all cylinders with a big pack as that seems to be their general MO. I'm far from sure they have a plan B? I'm also pretty sure we'll be trying something very similar too, as dominance up front is the natural precursor to a win in rugby, at any level. I'm not really sure that we have a credible plan B either, btw. Should be a good game.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

you cant really write off Town in any game this season , they've had shockers and have had excellent games from week to week beating a 10 game winning streak Donny has shown that , although it looked like Donny went into the game over confident then panicked for a while midway through . If the Bulls win then I'd still give the odds to Town over Swinton , but again , what sort of teams will both sides be able to field in that final final ? farcical .

I'm quietly confident, but far from taking this for granted

If we play like we did on Sunday, there's only one winner. But can we play at that level two weeks on the spin? And will Workington disrupt our carefully laid plans as, to be fair ,they have done twice already this season?

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

I suspect Marcus Green being Ref for this match will firm that up!

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

I'm surprised such a comparatively inexperienced ref has been appointed considering what is on the line and how many refs are available this weekend. That said, it's the same for both sides so let's just get on with it. 

After Sunday I'm much more confident than I was, a gear was clearly stepped up - but that doesn't mean I'm convinced we'll win and there is still that big part of me thinking "how are we going to mess it up this time".

For me, patience is the key. All too often this year, even if we've been in front, we have looked a bit panicked, desperate to score off every play. Keep it simple and hopefully we'll get the job done. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

28 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm quietly confident, but far from taking this for granted

If we play like we did on Sunday, there's only one winner. But can we play at that level two weeks on the spin? And will Workington disrupt our carefully laid plans as, to be fair ,they have done twice already this season?

We might have carefully laid plans to disrupt your carefully laid plans ? Or maybe we’re giving both credit and they don’t have carefully laid plans !

Who knows, If Bulls play like they did last week, Bulls. If they don,t Worky. Now that is what I call sitting on the fence.After 68 years watching Northern/Bulls nothing surprise me anymore.As for Wolford6 who is supposedly a Bulls supporter he will be delighted if Bulls lose so that he can "stick the boot" into John Kear who he quite obviously hates.

3 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

.As for Wolford6 who is supposedly a Bulls supporter he will be delighted if Bulls lose so that he can "stick the boot" into John Kear who he quite obviously hates.

I don't hate him, I just disagree totally with his modus operandus. He inherited a squad of really promising and adventurous young players. In my opinion, they would have kept us in the Championship last year if Leigh Beattie had been allowed to stay in charge. Kear has gradually replaced them with journeymen. Apparently, Gareth Hock is on his way next.

Last week, Kear was touting Brandon Pickersgill for League 1 Young Player of the Year. He's been great but only in the team because Greg McNally is a chocolate fireguard and has only had one good game all season (Hunslet). Last Sunday, Pickersgill was dropped and Mcnally was back in after weeks out. the week before the half-time draw was done by Josh Ricketts, a promising winger who played several games last season. This season; not one and Kear has signed two new wingers. Kear never gave young kids games in matches that were foregone conclusions. Those lads could have done with the experience and the match fee. Apparently, we had to focus on winning the league ... well, exactly how well did those experienced players do against York and Workington?

With the squad we've got, in terms of both numbers and quality, we should have won the league. And every fan knows it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Wolford,

You do not seem to grasp the concept of knockout Rugby. Plan A  Win, Plan B, Win ,Plan C Win.There are no games that are foregone conclusions,o.k. West Wales.Why would any coach give a young kid one game and then axe him.Do you think that would help him.Last Sunday Pickersgill was dropped as you rightly say for McNally, a decision that was proved correct,last weeks game and this weeks game requires experience mixed with youth.You have been one that has criticised the inclusion of Gibson,He, without doubt is the best defensive centre in League 1. It is alright your idea of throwing the ball all over the field but sometimes you also have to defend to win games.The only reason the Bulls have not achieved instant promotion is primarily because in the games that count, Workington and York namely,the Bulls have been crying out for a couple of experienced heads in the forwards.Hopefully next season,whichever league they are in they will address that problem.On the problem of wingers are you seriously saying that Ricketts is better than Ryan or Hitchcox. Grant was also left out and he is also ,at the moment,better than Ricketts.As for Leigh Beattie being preferred to John Kear then you are talking absolute nonsense. Leigh Beattie is doing fine at the level he is working at.As for the journeymen he has brought in name them please.Is it Minchella, Bustin, Peltier, Green,Wood, Laithwaite,Flanagan,Garside.All I see there are young players with years in front of them except maybe Flanagan who any Championship or League 1 club would jump at signing.As far as any fan knows we should have won the league,once again the majority of fans I know all said at the beginning of the season that the League would be no "cakewalk".At the end of the day York were a better side than we were and deservedly won the title.And John Kear never played a game.

6 hours ago, tim2 said:

Loser still gets another shot, right? Or will they change the system again before Sunday?

Nobody has offered a response so far to your questions, tim2, so let me try.

I think the answers are, respectively, 'yes, against Swinton' and 'who knows?'!

Archived