Are We Really

Just now, David Shepherd said:

getting rid of the million pound game?

OK, it was never a classic, but for drama and thrilling entertainment that was superb.

Rugby League will be poorer for not having it next year.

It's called the Championship GF in 2019. Today no one was getting relegated. 

I get the OP's point. Every MPG to date has been an absolute nail-biter. Horrible for club fans, thrilling for neutrals. Let's hope the CGF delivers even a fraction of those gut-wrenching moments.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I hope the Championship Grand Final is at a neutral ground not have the highest seeded team host it. Have it somewhere like Headingley the week before the Super League GF and make an event if it

Toulouse v Toronto at Headingley? 

40 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I hope the Championship Grand Final is at a neutral ground not have the highest seeded team host it. Have it somewhere like Headingley the week before the Super League GF and make an event if it

I quite like the highest seeded team getting the reward of hosting it.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I quite like the highest seeded team getting the reward of hosting it.

I can see where Scubby is coming from but I’d really like to see it return to Headingley or the Halliwell Jones as a double header with the L1 playoff final maybe. That it bring back the Northern Rail Cup, I feel the Championship needs a big event with a trophy (not summer bash)

48 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Or 2nd bottom SL vs 2nd Championship?

That was one of the ideas that was muted if we went to 14 teams and is an idea I do Iike for a possible 2nd promotion spot. I can't see it happening with 12 though.

Championship Grand Finals went a bit stale, like most things did, towards the end of licensing but between them and the Northern Rail Cup, we used to get some superb games for neutrals from the lower leagues. 

I’m sure we’ll get drama with the Championship Grand Final returning, though it will/should be much less damaging to the loser. 

On 10/8/2018 at 7:49 PM, Southerner said:

Why can’t we have a MPG with the bottom SL club plays the top Championship team? 

Or 2nd bottom SL vs 2nd Championship?

i would have gone down this route - top of Championship Automatic promotion to SL.

Bottom of SL relegated.

then a top 5 play off system same as the old SL one. second bottom in SL takes the no 1. ranking side in the system  then places 2 -5 in the championship fill the rest off the spots. you are highly likely to get 2nd bottom in SL and 2nd in championship playing off for the SL spot but it keeps plenty of interest in the Championship comp and makes the bottom 3 sides in SL keep playing hard until the end of the season rather than clocking off with a 3rd of the season to go.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:47 PM, Damien said:

That was one of the ideas that was muted if we went to 14 teams and is an idea I do Iike for a possible 2nd promotion spot. I can't see it happening with 12 though.

I like that idea to 

Should be played on the night before the GF at a neutral ground in easy reach of OT.

Friday night RL is pretty well established now, and there is always the chance that supporters of the GF clubs staying over in Manchester would take this game in as well.

Warrington would work, or Saints as both of those grounds are pretty easy to get to, and hold enough supporters to make it worthwhile. LSV obviously ruled out due to the lack of a train station.

3 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Should be played on the night before the GF at a neutral ground in easy reach of OT.

Friday night RL is pretty well established now, and there is always the chance that supporters of the GF clubs staying over in Manchester would take this game in as well.

Warrington would work, or Saints as both of those grounds are pretty easy to get to, and hold enough supporters to make it worthwhile. LSV obviously ruled out due to the lack of a train station.

Keepmoat seems an obvious choice apart from proximity to OT. Easy train connection though

On 10/7/2018 at 9:39 PM, David Shepherd said:

OK, it was never a classic, but for drama and thrilling entertainment that was superb.

What’s the difference between this years MPG and a GF between the top two sides in the Championship?

the million pound game (apart from making our sport sound cheap) and the middle 8s was a convoluted concept which im glad is gone, a GF should be a better way to market a game for promotion 

On 10/7/2018 at 9:39 PM, David Shepherd said:

Do you slow down to look at car crashes as well?

12 minutes ago, milpool said:

Do you slow down to look at car crashes as well?

No, but millions and millions watch reality tv and sport, whereas the same numbers don't read PowerPoint presentations and business cases for leisure.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

No, but millions and millions watch reality tv and sport, whereas the same numbers don't read PowerPoint presentations and business cases for leisure.

I’d love to respond but I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

Archived