Golden Point

Chris22

19 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

If the golden point rule was a massive plus for RL then OK but can anyone actually give a really powerful argument as to what is wrong with a league game ending in a draw after 80 minutes ?

Yes, for cup ties, but how many other sports feature such a sudden-death ending to their league matches ? If it was that popular then I am certain they would be already using such a system. RL has done without it since it began so why is the need for it now ... and will the supporters have any say if they want it or not ?

The game these days already runs far over the 80 minutes schedule due to all the stoppages so why add more time to it ? (Will the RL pay for another train ticket for me if I miss the one I have booked due to the game going on late ?)

Yet again it's just a matter of whatever Australia say then GB do irrespective of whether it is good for the game in this country.

Furthermore, it is also been mentioned that the 2 referees system might eventually be introduced in the professional game over here but if so that will mean less officials available for amateur games. As with players, there are just not the same amount of officials as there are down under and the British amateur game is already suffering due to not enough referees to cover all the games.

If the RL want to cut down time then why not do away with the farcical situations we have these days during a game and which are still referred to as scrums ? Why not follow a knock-on, forward pass, etc by just giving the ball the other side to restart with a play-the-ball ?  That would save all the wasted time we now have at so-called scrums.

Picking up on the golden point isue:

How many draws were there last season? 

How many of those did you attend?

In how many of those drawn games you attended was your train time so close to the 80 min whistle that you would have missed it?

What would you have done had a player been injured resulting in a 10 minute delay in you getting away from the ground, draw or not?

How much contingency time do you normally allow when planning your matchday travel?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Some of these I see as good changes, especially the shot clocks ,just need the officials to apply the law's. The GP as a wire I have seen plenty of frantic finishes in three weeks we were level with 90 seconds remaining, lost two drew one all felt like losses ,I see more teams slotting over a one pointer earlier in games.

The early drop goa; is what happens. In NRL this year there were 17 or 18 x 1-pt results but only 8 Golden Point games and one of those was a 2-point margin. Right before HT is usually the easiest time to kick a DG - teams are holding their defensive line but not rushing up on the kicker.

I am fascinated that nobody has seen fit to comment about a plan to switch to two referees, prefering to concentrate upon the minutiae of the scoring system. Whether this is necessary is questionable but the supply of these people is a point of concern.

The quality of referees is currently an issue, increasingly so as we go down the divisions and into the amateur game. Switching SL to two referees would imply that these must be drawn from the Championship refereeing pool, which would be instantly diminished. the questions that beg themselves to me are where do we get the replacement refrees from to feed through the divisions amd are there sufficient refrees prepared to switch to full-time in the first instance?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

How hard is it to have one set of rules/laws?, we now seem to have

NRL

Super League

Championship/League One

International

I wonder which set of rules the Challenge Cup will adopt? Or will that be other set ?

They may have something 'innovative' for the 1895 Cup.

31 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Could having two referees mean we could do away with in goal officials?

Nah.That'll save money.The elite clubs just want to squeeze the little clubs instead.

Still,we'll all have to wait for official announcements.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Amateur games have been called off due to a lack of referees ... and if that happens too regularly then young players will become disheartened and not bother turning up to play - and then what happens to the future of Rugby League ?

Strange the lack of referees. There's no shortage on here. But how is SuperLeague contributing to a shortage at amateur level?

18 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Referees and players have different jobs, it is, physically far easier to be a referee than a player what with the whole getting smashed in the face thing happening less often to referes.

Now that Chris Houston has gone back to Australia its even less physically demanding ?

Aside from golden point, I think that the other rule changes are positive. Hopefully it leads to less 2 hour matches and prevents the game from being stopped at every drop out.

I did have an thought before though that I'm glad we didn't have golden point in 1996. If we did, Wigan probably would have beaten London and Saints would have lost the title!

5 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

JohnM ... my comment about the train was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I was just generally making a point about the length of time it now takes these days to play an 80 minute game ... we have time off at most scrums, conversions, etc and so it is even now often nearer to 90 minutes from when the game kicked off. Therefore with a golden point situation that will increase even further..

Personally I just can't see the benefit of the golden point rule in league matches. I think it is purely being done for TV purposes to try and entice the armchair supporters to renew their SKY subscriptions.  Has anyone ever previously seen many complaints from genuine RL supporters when a league game has been drawn ... so if something aint broke then why fix it ?

Understood.  Yes, games generally take two hours now. The Golden Point would add up to ten minutes  to those very few drawn games). As long  as they are all roughly and predictably  the same length, thats ok with me. I seriously think we need differentiators like these in our game , not for the relatively few "genuine" fans,  (total attendances of 70k in a typical weekend of fixtures?) but for the large number of potential fans (120k or more Sky viewers just for one televised game?)  If we can get better viewing figures we can get better sponsors,  better advertisers, upping our value to broadcasters, leading to a better TV rights deal.

The game changes. I wish we could strike  at the PTB, play the ball to ourselves, have better scrums. But despite all the changes, I'm still watching! 

I have to laugh a bit at how seriously some fans here are concerned about the game running too long. I do agree with the measures to speed it up, but compared to the other sports I am used to (hockey, basketball, baseball, CFL  and worst of all NFL football), RL is fantastically efficient at delivering 80 minutes of action in not much more of that in real time. The recent World Series baseball playoffs had games starting at 8pm and routinely going past midnight.

Getting a RL game done in under 2 hours is one of its great appeals to me. Nothing wrong with tightening things up a bit more, but some of you may not realize how good this is already!

20 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes ... make sure of not drawing by scoring when you have the chance.  Of course this suits both sides.  Has there been any effect on the game in the NRL?

At the moment I do not see the point (no pun intended) of it. 

I wonder if it is better or worse to say the DG should be inside or outside the 20m line?

However, I would prefer that yes, the first DG counts in extra time, but otherwise the highest score wins at end of time.

I personally wouldn't allow a game going into ET to be won by a drop goal.

rldfsignature.jpg

Don`t mind drawn games , but think if it`s a draw after 80 mins , both Teams should get a point , and extra time winner gets another point , surely a Team level after 80 mins should get some reward . Also quite liked the free play rule , it kept Teams on their toes and provided an opportunity for a bit of no risk rugby .

I will start by saying that ive never seen a boring draw in rugby league, not ever.

That said, Golden point adds another dimension, but unfortunately in the NRL has produced a Drop goal shoot out.

I was wondering if there was a better way, so...

What if there were no points on offer for a draw. We would still get the exciting end to games as teams strive for the win, but being cut throat in its approach, it could cost teams rather than 'gaining' a point. All within the allocated tv time, so keeping them happy.

SuperLeague with only points for winners, would it appeal?

On 11/19/2018 at 6:23 PM, stevereed100 said:

The problem with restarting scrums is the fake injuries...how will this be reffed?

The Golden Point is unfair if decided on first set such that one team doesn't get a "go". Also what if a strong wind favouring one side in first extra time. We like the rare draws!

Restarting goal line dropouts quickly will stop teams throwing the ball away,suddenly becoming unable to catch etc. Although I would prefer firm action by the Ref...sin binning for unprofessional conduct. And fake injuries.

It’s covered in the new rules. 

1. Injured players will have to leave the pitch and not return until their team gain possession. 

2. Luck of the draw if you’ll pardon the pun. 

3- teams can through the ball away as much as they want but if they haven’t taken the drop out when the times up it will be a penalty. 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, Blind side johnny said:

I am fascinated that nobody has seen fit to comment about a plan to switch to two referees, prefering to concentrate upon the minutiae of the scoring system. Whether this is necessary is questionable but the supply of these people is a point of concern.

The quality of referees is currently an issue, increasingly so as we go down the divisions and into the amateur game. Switching SL to two referees would imply that these must be drawn from the Championship refereeing pool, which would be instantly diminished. the questions that beg themselves to me are where do we get the replacement refrees from to feed through the divisions amd are there sufficient refrees prepared to switch to full-time in the first instance?

I did lay out my thoughts about two refs on page 2, it's a ###### solution to the problems in the game, it fails to address the best and most efficient way to control human beings (the opposite of what happens currently and has been so for a couple of decades) and fails to recognise why players do what they do and why they will continue in the same vein.

We don't need two refs, we have three officials already directly involved all the time, two of them however don't get involved in officiating the game enough, they are ignored by players because of the weakness in officiating and this applies to the central official. Ref does not need to be standing 10m back, he can be at the PTB to see if there's messing about, the players need to keep in line with the TJ and if they overstep the mark before the PTB occurs then the TJ informs the referee for a penalty.

Every-time a player steps over that imaginary line, penalise them, until they get it into their heads they cannot afford to be lazy and/or deliberately pinch a yard or three, the TJ has a much better view down the line than the ref anyway. Players offside at scrums and when attacking teams are within the 10m is prevalent, yet nothing is done, so players continue to take the micturate and it's a complete shambles. Penalise the hell out of them till they get the message, push the onus of responsibility back onto the players, no instructions, no 'coaching'.

Players that don't get off the tackled player straight away, penalty, don't tell them to "move", because as we've seen this does not work and never has, you have the ridiculous situation of players looking up at the ref waiting for his instruction to move. grrrr. Once the ref calls held, that's it, get off straight away.

I'd rather see 40 penalties in a game at the beginning of a season with it being stop start and continue to do that to teams that infringe whilst officials are applying the rules ALL THE TIME, not when it suits so that we end up with coaches and players changing their behaviour to play in a far cleaner way otherwise they'll get absolutely hammered.

As I said on P2, the law makers and indeed most people within RL circles fail to grasp that it's a psychology issue, one were you need to train those infringing to change through application and enforcement, weak or non existent policing as we see on our roads ends up with people simply doing as they please because they know full well that chances of being caught are virtually nonexistent, with just the occasional person getting caught. The gains from infraction are worth it because you know you'll rarely be caught.

19 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It’s covered in the new rules. 

1. Injured players will have to leave the pitch and not return until their team gain possession. 

2. Luck of the draw if you’ll pardon the pun. 

3- teams can through the ball away as much as they want but if they haven’t taken the drop out when the times up it will be a penalty. 

1.That seems very hard on genuine injuries if cannot be subbed until team regains possession. Could concede 2 tries before that happened at least.

2. So we play 80 minutes,deservedly achieve a draw then lose advantage because of a throw of the dice. All to avoid a problem that doesn't exist ( outside of the States and NRL).

3.I said this will not now happen but I was always irked that Referees condoned such behaviour.

What a complete load of rubbish. With all the other problems the game has, introducing Golden point does nothing to help. If any game I attend finishes level at normal time I will leave the ground and I urge all other fans to do the same. The powers at be never consult or listen to fans.

So if you don't want it vote with your feet. Imagine a Sky game and everyone leaves at full time, that would seriously get everyone talking. Might even get the fools who run the sport to listen.

Archived