Golden Point

Chris22

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

League Weekly reporting Golden Point introduced for Super League next year.

I assume this is an Elstone led change. Personally, I don't think it will add much.

If two teams can't be separated after 80 minutes, what's wrong with that?

Tend to agree for league matches. 

Instead of fair reward, I suppose we'll be treated to drop goal fests.

There is simply no need. Some of the best games end in a draw and 1 point each is fair reward. I really don't like the NRL way of doing it and the way the game changes and just becomes drop goal after drop goal attempt. It adds nothing to the game for me. 

I was really hoping that Elstone would make real changes and improvements rather than just implement cheap gimmicks.

Rule changes agreed:

Golden Point (2x5 minute periods, draw after 10 mins)

8 interchanges down from 10 (10 will be allowed in GP)

35-second shot clock for scrums

30 seconds for GLDOs

100 seconds for conversions.

Players who go down ‘injured’ after the shot clock starts will have to leave the field and not return until their side regains possession or alternatively use an interchange.

Two-ref system delayed due to RFL, will be trialled in reserves next year with a view to 2020 introduction in Super League.

Free play abolished.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Rule changes agreed:

30 seconds for GLDOs

Players who go down ‘injured’ after the shot clock starts will have to leave the field and not return until their side regains possession or alternatively use an interchange.

Two-ref system delayed due to RFL, will be trialled in reserves next year with a view to 2020 introduction in Super League.

Free play abolished.

Its great to see the free play abolished. I actually like all those changes except for the Golden Point.

Would it be possible to add a vote to the thread?  I've a feeling that it would be heavily against. That being the case, it would send a message to the RFL before it's implemented. If the result is for, well that's democracy.

Edit: Too late? Looks like it's confirmed.

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Rule changes agreed:

30 seconds for GLDOs

Free play abolished.

I wonder where they got all those from ...?

No, I don't like the golden point. The one point for a draw can be very important at the end of the season.

Also a draw is a fair result for two evenly matched teams. A drop goal-athon is just a daft and undignified way of ending a game. It's mostly down to luck 

Cannot stand Golden Point. It devalues what is a rarity in Rugby League and turns what has usually been a quality game into a farce where teams start attempting field goals from about thirty-five metres until one team gets close enough to land one. 

Also, televised Super League games tend to go on for nearly two hours these days so adding an extra fifteen minutes is going to send people into a video referee referred coma. 

All of the shot clock stuff is good.

Golden point is rubbish. Getting rid of the free play is silly, it works absolutely fine now.

Basically we have just copied all the NRL stuff. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

45 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Tend to agree for league matches. 

Instead of fair reward, I suppose we'll be treated to drop goal fests.

Given the limited amount of time if on TV  if it happens it would limit the amount of post match chat and analysis if a (unlikely) draw would happen.  This may be a benefit of course!    It is also quite possible that teams would get their golden point in early, like in the first 10 minutes!

1 minute ago, Sparse Attendance said:

Oh god no, i hope not. That’ll mean night matches will be going on into daytime. We’ll be copying cricket but doing it the other way around with Night-day matches. 

Given that the shot clock stuff will save 10 mins every game, while GP will cost us an extra 10 mins once or twice a season, it really isn't an issue.

Archived