Sign in to follow this  
Mumby Magic

Great RL Photos

On 04/03/2020 at 21:12, Padge said:

That's the one where Kenny started pointing to the line and shouting go.

Why?? Did he not know which way to go. ?

For a few seasons I was club photographer at Featherstone and was lucky enough to be part of a very successful era at the club.

Seeing many successful moments, but also seeing some incredible lows. 

A few years ago I published a post on Sporting Memories website (who do incredible work) - the post was in 2013, see:

https://rugby.sportingmemories.net/memory/2688-chris-taylor/

spacer.png

This image was one of my favourite ones from that year. 

The then coach, Danny Evans celebrating winning the league for the fourth year on the trot - after quite a traumatic season!

• Like 1

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

4 hours ago, Sticklebricks said:

Why?? Did he not know which way to go. ?

Kenny was running as fast as Chika and could probably have out paced him, he was saying don't give it me go for it, he wanted him to have that try. ?

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 05/03/2020 at 08:25, Gooleboy said:

Seeing the old photos the traditional kits always look good for me. 

They look great don't they. 

Style & function.

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2020 at 19:14, Padge said:

Looking at that I suddenly got a whiff of wintergreen entering my nostrils

Is the person interviewing Eddie Waring ?

Fartown's "Famous 4 Fijians", John Ravitale, Tom Waqabaca, Joe Saukura and Tomasi Naidole who switched codes in 1964.

57390029_2161083073977752_3415152007147683840_o.jpg

Edited by daz39
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Fartown's "Famous 4 Fijians", John Ravitale, Tom Waqabaca, Joe Saukura and Tomasi Naidole who switched codes in 1964 to become the 1st Fijians to play Rugby League in the UK.

57390029_2161083073977752_3415152007147683840_o.jpg

Not sure how that beats the Fijians Orisi Dawai and Josefa Levula who signed in 1961 for Rochdale, but still a good photo.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not sure how that beats the Fijians Orisi Dawai and Josefa Levula who signed in 1961 for Rochdale, but still a good photo.

They might have been the 1st cross code ones then i may have got mistaken.

12 minutes ago, daz39 said:

They might have been the 1st cross code ones then i may have got mistaken.

Josefa "Joe" Levula caught the eye of RL scouts in the Fifties, but political pressure made it impossible for players from Fiji to play professionally abroad. As soon as those restrictions were relaxed, Rochdale swooped for him and Orisi Dawai. More followed, and several members of the Levula family have turned out for Rochdale since. Quite a few have been called Joe, which makes things awkward for statisticians.

The original Joe set down roots in the UK and died here in 1989. Rochdale still has the largest Fijian population in the UK after London.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

13 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Is the person interviewing Eddie Waring ?

yes

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

First post for me, so apols if this is the wrong thread for this. But I'm currently in the process of scanning some black and white photos my brother took when we went the last match at Wilderspool. I've recently rediscovered them in some of our late dad's possessions. Not sure they class as great, but probably more just of sentimental value. But if anyone wants any more up when I've got them scanned I would be happy to oblige?

20200308_160130.jpg

Edited by IamDeathside
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, IamDeathside said:

First post for me, so apols if this is the wrong thread for this. But I'm currently in the process of scanning some black and white photos my brother took when we went the last match at Wilderspool. I've recently rediscovered them in some of our late dad's possessions. Not sure they class as great, but probably more just of sentimental value. But if anyone wants any more up when I've got them scanned I would be happy to oblige?

20200308_160130.jpg

There was something about the old Wilderspool ground that was really intimidating.  I think it was the high nature of that stand in the picture that made it imposing.

Of course the team in the late 80's helped as well!

• Like 2

11th Nov 2019. England 0 NZ 34. Despite this I like the photo.

IMG-20181111-WA0000.jpg

• Like 4

Rah Rah Emissary:  Our Bigotry will blot out the sun.

Legio XIII:                  Then we shall play in the shade.

Great thread this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

GBRL and a BOAC VC-10. Not sure which bit I love more.

https://prints.paimages.co.uk/p/142/rugby-league-great-britain-heathrow-london-13121068.jpg.webp

Ah, so this is where the trend of taking massive bags as carry on started! Rugby League really is to blame for everything. 

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2020 at 17:13, Dunbar said:

There was something about the old Wilderspool ground that was really intimidating.  I think it was the high nature of that stand in the picture that made it imposing.

Of course the team in the late 80's helped as well!

Didn't that stand get condemned and off limits  to the crowd before Wilderspool itself closed down ??

On 29/03/2020 at 16:56, M j M said:

GBRL and a BOAC VC-10. Not sure which bit I love more.

https://prints.paimages.co.uk/p/142/rugby-league-great-britain-heathrow-london-13121068.jpg.webp

The last team from these shore's to win a Ashes Test Series, there was some outstanding player's in that squad. With the state of the game nowadays, irrespective of the current situation, it's hard to envisage us ever winning one again.