Obituary Thread

On 19/04/2024 at 16:48, Derwent said:

Dickey Betts, guitarist with The Allman Brothers, aged 80

Ah, the passage of time!

One of my favourite albums ever is The Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East, particularly 'In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed', a fantastic rendition. My copy has about ten signatures of college pals from 50 years ago. A treasured memory.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Conductor Andrew Davis. Many, many great performances and speeches at the Proms.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 21/04/2024 at 05:17, gingerjon said:

Conductor Andrew Davis. Many, many great performances and speeches at the Proms.

Saw him last year at Roy Thomson Hall with the Toronto Symphony.  Will be sadly missed.

• Like 1

King Cross Park ARLFC player Henry Grierson.

A 23/4 statement on the Halifax club's Facebook page reads: It is with deepest sadness that we acknowledge the passing of Henry Grierson, who was a member of our current U18s team. As a former Siddal ARLFC junior, we were thrilled when he came to join our U18s, where he became an instant favourite with players and parents due to his outgoing and funny nature. He was always around the lads and became part of the furniture at the club.

It is hard to take in that this photo [on the club's Facebook page] was only taken just over two weeks ago as part of our media day to now acknowledge that he is no longer with us. Losing somebody at such a young age is hard to take in so as a club we are simply thankful of the time we had with him and would like to extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends and anybody who had the pleasure of knowing him. Rest in peace, young man. You made an impression on the world which will never be forgotten.

Edited by Hopping Mad

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

King Cross Park ARLFC player Henry Grierson.

A 23/4 statement on the Halifax club's Facebook page reads: It is with deepest sadness that we acknowledge the passing of Henry Grierson, who was a member of our current U18s team. As a former Siddal ARLFC junior, we were thrilled when he came to join our U18s, where he became an instant favourite with players and parents due to his outgoing and funny nature. He was always around the lads and became part of the furniture at the club.

It is hard to take in that this photo [on the club's Facebook page] was only taken just over two weeks ago as part of our media day to now acknowledge that he is no longer with us. Losing somebody at such a young age is hard to take in so as a club we are simply thankful of the time we had with him and would like to extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends and anybody who had the pleasure of knowing him. Rest in peace, young man. You made an impression on the world which will never be forgotten.

Very sad and so young.

Former footballer Charlie Hurley, 87.

A centre-back, Cork-born Hurley played for Millwall, Sunderland, Bolton Wanderers and Republic of Ireland. He managed Reading.

Sunderland tweeted: "We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Charlie Hurley, one of the greatest and most beloved players in the history of Sunderland AFC."

Hurley spent 12 years at Roker Park, making more than 400 senior appearances.

An Irish FA statement read: "Capped 40 times by his country, Charlie will always be remembered as 'The King'. We are proud he played for Ireland and offer our sympathies to his family and friends."

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Author C J Sansom, aged 72.

Very very sad at this news . The best series I’ve read and the only ones I keep and re- read . I also listen to all the audiobooks as I’m knocking around . Currently I’m on Tombland … all 37 hours 

• Like 2

The first rumours started swirling a couple of hours ago, but now it is confirmed - Duane Eddy has died today. 😞 

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/duane-eddy-dies-at-86 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson