He can finally see that little drummer boy and old soldier he was always talking to pretty much everywhere 

I missed this in December for some reason.

Arty McGlynn, guitarist who had a big influence on how the guitar was used in Irish traditional music. He had a dry Ulster wit. Non-trad fans may recall his contributions to some of Van Morrison's stuff.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/arty-mcglynn-tributes-paid-to-monster-musician-and-real-gent-1.4120490

Edited by longboard

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

“ I’m getting a derek coming through .... or is if Daniel ... or it could be John . Some male name though definitely. Sound familiar to anyone in the audience ? ‘

I remember him being a guest on Good Morning. He was given an item of tudor clothing and asked if he was getting anything from it.......his response "this was worn by a man.....or possibly a woman", nice Derek, well done ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

“ I’m getting a derek coming through .... or is if Daniel ... or it could be John . Some male name though definitely. Sound familiar to anyone in the audience ? ‘

A conman through and through.

I remember him on Talk Radio about 20 years ago, when a guy phoned in mentioning somebody called Will who lived in Amsterdam.

"I can see a ship!" the conman started off....

"There's water...."

"Canals!"

What a cowboy. And he got everything wrong.

9 hours ago, doc said:

Neil Peart, the best drummer I've ever seen. 

I saw nico mcbain when he was with pat travers just a few weeks after seeing rush. Those were perhaps the best two I've seen. 

Edited by Robin Evans

Marty Grebb - not a big name, but someone who worked with big names. Leon Russell, Etta James, Bonnie Raitt, Taj Mahal, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale, Elton John, Muddy Waters, The Band, to name a few.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

14 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

First gig in the uk.... sheffield city hall 1977. I was there.

Another icon of my youth passes. This getting old lark is quite sad at times.

Almost as sad is remembering when popular bands would play venues like that! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Almost as sad is remembering when popular bands would play venues like that! 

I remember seeing U2 at Salford University Students Union, now their equipment wouldn't fit in there.

• Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I remember seeing U2 at Salford University Students Union, now their equipment wouldn't fit in there.

Nor would bonio’s ego

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

Nor would bonio’s ego

Or even David "The Hedge" Evans' rank of guitar pedals.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Tony Garnett has died.

Involved in making Kes with Ken Loach among many other great projects like The Price of Coal , Between The Lines and This Life.

Also Cathy Come Home and many others. 

Edited by bazzzz65
Additional material

58 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bernard .... 82

Brilliant.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 21/12/2019 at 17:46, DavidM said:

Still a disgrace ALL of these guys didn’t get a knighthood . They achieved the ultimate we still live off and eulogise to this day . Especially when you see what folk get them for now 

Well said.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

On 05/11/2019 at 17:05, graveyard johnny said:

he must have realised what misery they were about to bring to the world

A fine observation. Both from yourself & Gaybo. ?

Mainly known for his diffident civil servant character, Fowlds could also do sci-fi action hero!