Brits in the NRL

Absolutely superb impact prop performance from Tom Burgess today for Souths against Brisbane.

Came on when the game was in the balance and in 29 minutes ran for about 170 and alongside his fellow bench prop Tatola really helped to shift the momentum to Souths in a big win.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 months later...

Congratulations to Tom Burgess in being the latest Brit to captain an NRL team in his game today.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 08/07/2023 at 13:01, Dunbar said:

Congratulations to Tom Burgess in being the latest Brit to captain an NRL team in his game today.

I posted in the match thread congratulations on him going third in Souths all time appearances list. Which is some achievement only 10 off Adam Reynolds in second place. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I posted in the match thread congratulations on him going third in Souths all time appearances list. Which is some achievement only 10 off Adam Reynolds in second place. 

Amd contracted to Souths for 2024 as well so quite a few games left in him yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I wonder what’s happening with Luke Thompson , I heard a commentator saying a couple of weeks back that he was due for a return but no sign yet 

Some are saying Round 20/21 but I think the NRL injury tracker still says indefinate and Gould said on Twitter recently that he won't be back this year.

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I wonder what’s happening with Luke Thompson , I heard a commentator saying a couple of weeks back that he was due for a return but no sign yet 

Reports that St George are interested in him,it never rains but it pours. !!

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Reports that St George are interested in him,it never rains but it pours. !!

He's said he wants to stay in the NRL rather than come back to SL, feels he still has a lot to prove over there. Before going he had a lot of offers, now I wouldn't be surprised if a basket case of a club like the Dragons would be the only one to take a chance on him with his injury & disciplinary record.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That's a real shame if true.  Very few Brits crack the NRL to the extent that they are recognised as one of the very best in their position and Hodgson did that.  He challenged himself and succeeded so well done to him.

• Like 9

Fran Goldthorp made her Cowboys debut at full back and Hollie Dodd for Canberra in the second row in R1 of the NRLW.

Unfortunately both on the losing side (16-6 to Titans & 28-14 to Cronulla respectively).

Georgia Roche is expected to make her debut at stand-off for Newcastle on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Another big game from Herbie Farnworth. His 12th try of the season and 8 tackle busts.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/27/broncos-v-roosters---round-22-2023/

He was very good.  In particular in the first quarter when the game was in the balance. 

The Roosters came out really firing in defence and when Farnworth beat 4 defenders for the first try it really deflated them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Another big game from Herbie Farnworth. His 12th try of the season and 8 tackle busts.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/27/broncos-v-roosters---round-22-2023/

Farnworth has made a huge error jumping the gun and signing for the dolphins next season - the broncos are building something really good- something he should be part of with Cobbo -Walsh -Staggs and the rest for the next few years

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 27/07/2023 at 19:24, graveyard johnny said:

Farnworth has made a huge error jumping the gun and signing for the dolphins next season - the broncos are building something really good- something he should be part of with Cobbo -Walsh -Staggs and the rest for the next few years

As the ABBA song goes, money money money.

On 05/08/2023 at 07:47, graveyard johnny said:

Herbie limping from the field in what looks like some considerable pain as I type!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully not too serious. Was pictured, post game, out on the pitch with the rest of the team, bag of ice taped to his shin.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2023 at 12:20, burnleywelsh said:

Hopefully not too serious. Was pictured, post game, out on the pitch with the rest of the team, bag of ice taped to his shin.

He has been named to start this week for the Broncos so looks OK.

In other news, Luke Thompson has been named on the bench for the Bulldogs so could make his first appearance of the year.

• Like 3