Barrie Mac - commentator

15 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Barrie & Terry were a breath of fresh air when they started doing games together. But that was probably up to a decade ago and we were using Eddie & Stevo as a comparison. Time to move on. And stick Cummings in the same taxi. 

I don't think they were ever a breath of fresh air. They were just as lame then as they are now.

ramp it up barry does babble on a bit and he looks to enjoy his gigg but hes been paid so he should do, jjb sounds worse with his viss and vatt, cummins chips in to make thing sound correct on the pitch and stick up for ref even if there way off. though ashton simms were brill last week and sterlo is just one a lads but knows what hes on about.

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think they were ever a breath of fresh air. They were just as lame then as they are now.

Maybe I’m thinking in the context of when they were covering the Championship games. Leaving aside their attempt at a comedy double act, they did genuinely know their stuff which, as a fan of a Championship club, was a big positive having previously been offered little more than lip service and lazy cliches. 

15 hours ago, doc said:

Barrie isn't too bad. But is he up there with Waring, French, Davies, Hunter Paul, Peacock et al?

I will no doubt be in a very big minority but I think Jonathan Davis is quite perceptive and quick to spot what's happening.

I think that generally football (ie. soccer) commentators are rubbish... so we should all be grateful for what we wish for.

4 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Jon wilkin should take over sky sports rugby league when he retires!! Talks sense that bloke 

Wilkin, Wells, Arthur and Carney is a good start. Get Dave Woods to Sky, use one Aussie voice in Justin Holbrook, and we're pretty much there.

I actually don't mind Barrie Mac on the mic.....sometimes he can be quite amusing but agree that less is more...I do cringe at T o'C though (which pains me to admit, being a widnes fan) - he was better when he was at pitch level, bantering with the players, rather than in the studio tripping over his own words

Barrie and Terry aren't my cup of tea if I'm honest, or at least their style of commentary isn't.

But I will say one thing for them. I work in Scotland, and there is one guy who I work with who has no background in RL, but is really into it and watches most games on sky. He really likes Barry and Terry.

So whilst we might worry about how they might appear to people who aren't from the "heartlands," maybe they don't actually appear that bad.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:20 PM, GeordieSaint said:

McDermott (and O’Connor) play to the stereotype of the sport. We could do with a different, more professional approach.

Like Eddie Waring only far, far worse, at least EW did a huge amount for the game before he became the BBCs lampoon figure and he slid badly due to his illness.

I can't think of anything worse for new fans to turn on to listen to these two turnips, it's just horrible in every single aspect.

Archived