Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Copa

Bradford chairman claims Catalans is costing UK game millions of £

2 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I read his two arguments as:

1. Happy to travel to a Toronto, but it should be the same for every other club. He has a point here.

2. Catalans don’t actually bring any new income to British clubs, no TV deal, no sponsorship that impacts other clubs. They are of course an amazingly well run club, but they don’t actually contribute anything to the pot ... in fact they take money from sky monies. New clubs should have criteria where they either contribute or at least dont take out.

For the record I’m a big fan of TWP and Cats.

You are aware that we sell all Catalans home games to Sky (filmed by the host broadcaster so at zero cost) as part of the Sky deal. 

1 hour ago, Bullistic said:

Should Toronto get into Super League I can't imagine any club complaining that they have to travel to Canada to play their away match whilst others will play theirs a few miles down the road at a neutral venue. It will all be hunkydory. 

If SL clubs are stupid enough to insist on some impossible home away game utopia. That by the way doesn’t exist for any other club. Then they would get all they deserve. 

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Bradford chairman Andrew Chalmers believes the Bulls are at a disadvantage when they travel to Canada this weekend.

Well, yes, quite so. That's why sports use the term "home advantage". I'm assuming Toronto will be playing at Odsal at some point, in which case Bradford will have home advantage.

I'm all for owners, coaches, players and fans standing up for their club, but fact and evidence base is critical to credibility and yes, to integrity, too.

The point being made is some clubs will travel to Toronto whilst others have played the away fixture here.

19 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The point being made is some clubs will travel to Toronto whilst others have played the away fixture here.

That point is about as big and has the same level of significance as this point (.)

I know that you will be glad to hear that Lamport Stadium is getting a big brand new scoreboard/clock in 4 weeks....breaking news from me to you...I know...I KNOW...ITS OKAY!

I knew you would appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That point is about as big and has the same level of significance as this point (.)

I know that you will be glad to hear that Lamport Stadium is getting a big brand new scoreboard/clock in 4 weeks....breaking news from me to you...I know...I KNOW...ITS OKAY!

I knew you would appreciate it.

It carries weight with your future. Good luck with the scoreboard.

Edited by SL17

Just now, SL17 said:

It carries weight with your future. Good luck with scoreboard.

Do you think the new scoreboard will meet SL requirements?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Do you think the new scoreboard will meet SL requirements?

Whos paying for it.

3 minutes ago, NorthWest RL Academy said:

Hopefully the RFL, give them something back for putting substandard championship teams on sky TV and raising the profile of their product to allow them to create additional advertising revenue and give substandard players the chance to play on sky tv or maybe their international sponsors or even the international TV deal. Could be either one of those. 

I bet it is not the high flying clubs in the championship getting a few hundred fans as they will be putting it into their reserve teams..oh hang on scratch that. 

They dont need reserves, they have the community. Remember what Perez said regarding Ottawa! Community. He knows the score now.

3 minutes ago, NorthWest RL Academy said:

Oh yeah, all that money going into the community from these teams. Dear me. 

I think £500 from a SL team is intolerable. But worst is to see that player discarded from the sport if he doesn't make the grade.

Anyhow diffrent topic that.

30 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Whos paying for it.

Who do you think is paying for it?...careful now.

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The City? Why wasn't it installed preseason? or  6 weeks ago when the weather was fine.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The City? Why wasn't it installed preseason? or  6 weeks ago when the weather was fine.

Scoreboard's outside the dome and inaccessible in winter.

And 6 weeks ago it was still winter.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Scoreboard's outside the dome and inaccessible in winter.

And 6 weeks ago it was still winter.

Ah,that old chestnut..

yee gawds you'd think they had to cross the Atlantic in a galley players rowing and management beating a drum to keep time.

Air Transat is not Cathay Pacific or Emirates but its a pretty comfy 7 or so hours, fed and watered while watching a movie.

I used to travel constantly for work in planes all the time  its called the modern age not the middle ages. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The Wolfpack I imagine. I can't see the city ponying up for it, and if TWP put it up they've probably got some sort of deal for advertising rights on it. Think of all the Wolfpack ads they'll be running during Toronto Arrow games.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The Wolfpack I imagine. I can't see the city ponying up for it, and if TWP put it up they've probably got some sort of deal for advertising rights on it. Think of all the Wolfpack ads they'll be running during Toronto Arrow games.

No prob. The Arrows are based out of Toronto, the Pack are based in Toronto.

13 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

yee gawds you'd think they had to cross the Atlantic in a galley players rowing and management beating a drum to keep time.

Air Transat is not Cathay Pacific or Emirates but its a pretty comfy 7 or so hours, fed and watered while watching a movie.

I used to travel constantly for work in planes all the time  its called the modern age not the middle ages. 

And don't forget the lash...those poor players. Here is a clip of the Bradfords Chairman talking to his players enroute to Toronto...the Bulls are all condemned men...they are more like veal calves being brought to the slaughter at Lamport!

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, NorthWest RL Academy said:

Pro players coming through in a dying sport. Increase the reach and increase the money and then things will happen. its like magic. 

You have the increase "reach via Toronto" but its up to them to develop it . You can't increase the money as that ends up being an unlevel playing field, as you are seeing now. As for magic, its not real.

17 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

No prob. The Arrows are based out of Toronto, the Pack are based in Toronto.

Starting this weekend the Arrows play 4 of their last 5 games at Lamport.

Toronto represents a choice about the future of the sport but that doesn't make it logically a choice between clubs.

I know that's the narrative or agenda of some posters and when brought up, discussed, but that still only makes it one possible outcome at best.

Even if it seems unfair if some have to travel to TWP I can't help but contrast with the management at clubs like Swinton who seem to have embraced the idea.

• Like 3

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

27 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

They need to move to BMO field asap..

Once the brand makes £40 million that option will become available. Until then summer RL in Toronto will survice, just not in SL.

53 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

They need to move to BMO field asap..

Worst thing they could do. It’s the intimate unique atmosphere with the beer garden which is attracting people right now.

If anything they should be working together with the Arrows to try and convince the City of Toronto that Lamport stadium is worth developing for the long term future of rugby in the city. 

I don’t think it would cost the earth to turn Lamport into a quality stadium of 15k capacity with some corporate boxes. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Worst thing they could do. It’s the intimate unique atmosphere with the beer garden which is attracting people right now.

If anything they should be working together with the Arrows to try and convince the City of Toronto that Lamport stadium is worth developing for the long term future of rugby in the city. 

I don’t think it would cost the earth to turn Lamport into a quality stadium of 15k capacity with some corporate boxes. 

For me, Lamport is your home. Totally agree thats were the investment needs to be made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Once the brand makes £40 million that option will become available. Until then summer RL in Toronto will survice, just not in SL.

Have another crack at writing that so it makes sense..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL