Swinton player accuses Toronto owner of racial abuse

25 minutes ago, TheUnassumingBadger said:

Yep you're absolutely right, with that in mind, I'll raise some funds to fly you over to Manchester and you can turn up at Swinton's training ground on Thursday night and tell Jose it was just bantz and that speaking out about it on Twitter is a weak move. Face to face. 

CanadianRugger is Roland Barthes and I claim fifty quid.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Loving this passive reaction to justify racism fellas. Can only imagine how different it would be if it were one sport in particular 

45 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Or how different it would be if it was someone like Beaumont who said it instead. 

To be fair, I didnt read Double D or Copa's posts as justification. They both condemn it whilst trying to explain some of the potential thinking behind it.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Loving this passive reaction to justify racism fellas. Can only imagine how different it would be if it were one sport in particular 

Good one Pops, not falling for that one. 

Keep working on those spreadsheets ?

10 hours ago, clogdance said:

Argyle's lucky he didn't get a slap....

Quite . The bad attempt at humour line is rubbish . Ok looking from the outside but not if you’re on the receiving end . Out of order in any context . 

He made a mistake and made a completely insensitive comment. He has now apologised unreservedly and hasn't tried to squirm his way out of it by making excuses. What else would those on here that are taking offence like him to do? Some of whom aren't exactly squeaky clean I hasten to add when it comes to offending others.

Writing the off as a bit of "misjudged banter" is the definition of white priviledge. Of course you're not offended by it. Of course it's not the kind of comment that kind of comment thats going to rattle around in your memory as you think about the people working in your industry.

The first comment this man made to somebody was a "joke" about their skin colour. Telling it from the point of view of Swinton being backwards or whatever does not make it better.

Argyle might as well have opened the conversation with, "Oh, you're different".

It might be tolerated between friends. Nobodys going to tell you what two friends can say / do to each other.

It would not be ok in any workplace. I don't imagine it would fly in a Canadian workplace either.

It seems like Twitter wasn't the first point of call and he went through the proper channels first. My worry then would be that this has been ignored by officials.

7 minutes ago, NWDuk said:

Writing the off as a bit of "misjudged banter" is the definition of white priviledge. Of course you're not offended by it. Of course it's not the kind of comment that kind of comment thats going to rattle around in your memory as you think about the people working in your industry.

Absolutely on one has said they arent offended by it, not a single person. But yeah, we all have "White Privilege" This post here sums up perfectly what I was going on about earlier.

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is it another example of some of the views held by some Australians as we have seen in the thread about the Australian national anthem?

Correct...exactly.  It was a stupid thing to say, he has properly apologized which is good, now he has to wear it.  There does not appear to be a pattern of it so hopefully it is a one off.

Of course this should not be casually dismissed, nor should it be blown out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

He made a mistake and made a completely insensitive comment. He has now apologised unreservedly and hasn't tried to squirm his way out of it by making excuses. What else would those on here that are taking offence like him to do? Some of whom aren't exactly squeaky clean I hasten to add when it comes to offending others.

To be fair, I havent read anybody asking for him to do any more. And if there is a punishment then the RFL will sort that.

The only disagreement here is around this being dismissed as banter.

Justin Carney received 8 game ban for calling Ryan Bailey a "Black %%%%%"

The fact the chairman's first thought was to raise his colour is worrying and something Argyle should consider further. Why not mention how well he played etc.

To under play the comment is the reason why people like Jose and R  Sterling are still subject to  casual racism

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is it another example of some of the views held by some Australians as we have seen in the thread about the Australian national anthem?

I think the difference is Argyle has realised he has been a tone deaf bore who isn’t funny and has apologised. Hopefully he learns from this.

It’s very easy in Australia to find people who would double down by claiming they said nothing offensive and the offended party is an idiot. I have some patience for the former and nothing but nastiness for the latter.

8 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Would love this dinosaur to call Kenga a snowflake to his face!

Is it me or are users of that phrase normally from the b3llend Farage,Trump, Piers Morgan middle age mould?

Get in the fncking bin

Twitter, ladies and gentlemen, twitter. 

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah but that is a fundamentally different thing though isn't it. 

Why? Race, colour or sexual preference shouldn't be the first thing you consider about a person if Carney had just called him a barsteward, there would have been no ban. 

5 minutes ago, Mushy said:

Err claiming a lot of Australian humour and society is racist is also racist isn’t it? I didn’t see any irony emoticons so just thought I’d point that out. 

Australians are their own race now?  This era of false news is getting utterly ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Australians are their own race now?  This era of false news is getting utterly ridiculous.

I’m secretly producing a master race of Copa clones. We will takeover. We will takeover the world.

10 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Actually Australia is made up of a lot of different races, as it is a multi-cultural society.......................it gets very confusing what is a race these days though

Archived