Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Sunday 7th July 2019

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes, fair do's. Golding over Turner for sure, assuming he's not playing for Leeds. My surprise was that Loan players do seem to get proirity, yet we've got Albert up front, an area we are well off in, especially with Bussey back.

Render out in the cold.

I'd put Teteh back in there, though not necessarily v Leigh, just because I prefer Conor on the wing. Sutcliffe would be the best option. No news on his injury either.

Although Walters/Day is the preferred 2nd row combo (no argument from me with that whatsoever) you would have thought that JD was worth a bench spot at least, especially last week. So, I assume it's that hamstring injury from weeks back.

wheeldon had his knee heavily strapped last week and he took a knock on it so could be due for a rest

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

According to Radio Leeds, Golding playing for Leeds tonight in Walker's place.

i can only assume that with his involvement with leeds this week ryan  was aware of that before naming him in his squad and is  confident barring an injury he will still be able to do us a job come sunday

Sorry chris g, I know you had already said it. It was the feeling of satisfaction when the actual line up was announced on the tele that made me say it again. 

Expecting a good game. We know what to expect from a Duffy coached team with lots of ball movement and options in attack. But same token his teams don’t always defend that well. If we can get at them then I think we’ll be ok. My concern is the size of their pack compared to ours. They’ve some big lads so we’re going to need to tire them out first.

22 - 20 to Fev

Briscoe first try

2750 crowd - and a good atmosphere not polluted by inappropriate chants 

Win this one and would be good to put some daylight between us and Sheffield/ Bradford below. Especially with a trip to Toronto to come next week 

#UTR

For anyone that watches the reserves:

How is Morgan Punchard shaping up?  Seems a bit odd that we've got a decent (from the bit I saw him playing for 'fax) half/hooker who knows our systems, but we never play him.

Are the reserves just window dressing, or do we have any genuine candidates for the 1st team?

I think the way we are in the league, it's better to get an experienced player at half-back, Morgan Punchard is developing into a great little player who will get some chances in the 1st team, but to put him in games were there's a lot at stake, I think it would put too much pressure on him with the expectations required.

21 minutes ago, wasginger said:

I think the way we are in the league, it's better to get an experienced player at half-back, Morgan Punchard is developing into a great little player who will get some chances in the 1st team, but to put him in games were there's a lot at stake, I think it would put too much pressure on him with the expectations required.

Yeah theres too much pressure on leading clubs now for prize money. Not like it was before Super League when you dipped into your reserves and you had a star in the making. Punchard and a couple of others will get their chance but it takes a little longer nowadays with all the pressures of having to finish as high as possible. DR is responsible also for holding your own talent back because there are so many options to pick and choose seasoned campaigners and as long as we have got that nothing will change soon.

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

How is Morgan Punchard shaping up?  Seems a bit odd that we've got a decent (from the bit I saw him playing for 'fax) half/hooker who knows our systems, but we never play him.

Are the reserves just window dressing, or do we have any genuine candidates for the 1st team?

It's interesting to see that Punchard started at hooker for the reserves this week. Perhaps Ryan Carr is considering bringing him off the bench as cover for Cam King and both half backs. Maskill seems very one dimensional. Time is on Punchards side, he looks like he has the talent to make it.

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

From what I've seen he's gone ok and shown some useful flashes of form (earlier in the season I thought Jorge Richardson was the pick of our reserve half backs).

But at half back there's a gulf between performing quite well at reserve level and being able to run a top 5 Championship team's attack. The Boas brothers were experienced PNG Internationals with World Cup experience, and weren't really up to the task.

A lot of the reserves have come from a lowly starting point and are more long-term projects in my view. It's worth remembering it took the likes of Luke Cooper (in particular), Jack Ormondroyd and even Jack Bussey a long time to crack the first team, and they came from a team that won the reserves Championship.

We're probably about the 15th-17th best team in the country, anyone who signed for the reserves thinking they were one injury or suspension away from playing in the first team was deluding themselves imo. They need to be patient and understand that making the 1st team of one of the top Championship outfits isn't going to happen overnight.

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:56, mightyship said:

Expecting a good game. We know what to expect from a Duffy coached team with lots of ball movement and options in attack. But same token his teams don’t always defend that well. If we can get at them then I think we’ll be ok. My concern is the size of their pack compared to ours. They’ve some big lads so we’re going to need to tire them out first.

22 - 20 to Fev

Briscoe first try

2750 crowd - and a good atmosphere not polluted by inappropriate chants 

Win this one and would be good to put some daylight between us and Sheffield/ Bradford below. Especially with a trip to Toronto to come next week 

#UTR

Odd that - we've been worried about the lack of size in our pack, these last few weeks! We've had a distinct lack of prop forwards. Having Douglas, Brooks and Emmitt back may beef us up a bit though.

1 hour ago, AlanE said:

Odd that - we've been worried about the lack of size in our pack, these last few weeks! We've had a distinct lack of prop forwards. Having Douglas, Brooks and Emmitt back may beef us up a bit though.

Let’s hope I’m wrong then Alan ?

I’m thinking about the likes of Hock and Douglas certainly. Seem to have more beef than our lads. Let’s just hope it’s warm and they get tired.

looking forward to a good game- always is against your lot

1 hour ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Leigh players  look a big set of lads. 

Not as big as Jay Duffy. ???

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived