Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
superten

life below super league

Currently there's 25 teams playing at semi pro level . Is there any plans to increase this ? I would like to see seven new teams added if possible to form two leagues of 16 . . I like the grand finals day its a great day out . I would move it to Headingley or Huddersfield though . I also use to like the National rail cup . I would like to see it return . If we could get two leagues of 16 , I would have a knock out cup for Championship league and a separate one for league one teams with double header final.  With grand finals we can jiggle the league fixture structure so we don't have to play 30 rounds .   I would scrap summer bash in favour of double header cup finals day . I don't think there's any legs I the 1895 with playing mid week .

Chief Crazy Eagle

I've always been a fan of further growth and expansion in the UK. 

IMO the RFL should have a strategic vision for locations it wants to establish new teams at the head of an amateur pyramid. For me these should be Bristol/South West England, Gloucester, South and East London, Manchester, a West Midlands/Birmingham team and an East Midlands club in England. Beyond that I'd look to help the WRL by having a Cardiff based team, the SRL by having a Glasgow/Edinburgh based team, and a team in either Dublin or Belfast (or Both). Not all these teams have to be Super League challengers in 5 years, but even if they grow to the size of a Hemel for example they can be a great focal point for the game in that area. Regardless whether you agree with the locations or not I'd find it hard for anyone to disagree these areas outside of the heartland don't benefit from a semi pro hub.

Aside from these places, there's plenty to consolidate and strengthen on the M62. Particularly focussing on facilities and awareness of existing clubs to enhance the comp as a whole.

• Like 1

Can I ask one question, where's the money coming from to pay for this?

So cricket has 18 professional teams,England RFU has 24 pro/semi pro teams and you want rugby league to have 32 .

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There are more than 24 semi pro union clubs 

My thoughts exactly, there are teams way down the pyramid that are semi pro

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

My thoughts exactly, there are teams way down the pyramid that are semi pro

Exactly, especially at the level any new English club would be aiming to join at.

• Like 1

I would offer the Rugby Union clubs in limbo in Scotland and Wales to cross over and have a chance of promotion etc with the likes of Hawick, Melrose, Neath, Pontybridd, Ebbw Vale etc

Or even better, dual code clubs if they ever want to offer themselves as an alternative to football. All year round rugby club, similar resources and certainly same infrastructure its certainly something I'm very surprised no Union club has looked at in the places you mention. Its a no brainer for me. I know it's done on an amateur level in a lot of places.

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I would like to be served breakfast in bed by Angelina Jolie but it ain’t going to happen...

I’d like to be in bed with Angelina Jolie ... sod breakfast

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheConductor said:

I would offer the Rugby Union clubs in limbo in Scotland and Wales to cross over and have a chance of promotion etc with the likes of Hawick, Melrose, Neath, Pontybridd, Ebbw Vale etc

what limbo?

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sods law you wake up and find its Anne Widdicombe😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

If I’d posted what I really wanted I’d be sanctioned! 

7 hours ago, TheConductor said:

Wishful thinking, but these are very old clubs with roots in their communities for over a century. They are located in small towns with little commercial prospects, there is zero chance of them crossing over.

Edited by ojx
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, ojx said:

Wishful thinking, but these are very old clubs with roots in their communities for over a century. They are located in small towns with little commercial prospects, there is zero chance of them crossing over.

correct. utter fantasy stuff.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Keep pumping kids into the system at the under 11's age group.

Watch them grow into Open Age.

As long as we keep filling (and increasing the numbers) from the bottom, everything else will take care of itself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How much money does 25 'semi-pro' rugby teams cost? As a guestimate, lets say you are looking at paying about 25 players a week for about 30 weeks a year which gives us 750 pay packets. How much would a semi-pro get as an average (including bonuses etc) - £150pw?

That would be £112,500 to find just for player salaries. On top of that there will be coaches, physios, food, kit, travel, insurance etc. Maybe another £50k per team per season?

So costs per season, per team could be £160,000+?

x25 teams = £4m

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jblake said:

Or even better, dual code clubs if they ever want to offer themselves as an alternative to football. All year round rugby club, similar resources and certainly same infrastructure its certainly something I'm very surprised no Union club has looked at in the places you mention. Its a no brainer for me. I know it's done on an amateur level in a lot of places.

RU clubs get crowds of about 500 at level 3 of the pyramid. How many do you think would turn up to watch RL on the same pitch?!

I have not been on the forums for a few days so I just logged into this thread because life below Super Greed is my passion, and concerns me. However, after reading the first couple of lines, particularly the "I would like to see 7 new teams" part, I am dismissing as yet another fantasy thread. The game below Super Greed is failing miserably and nobody, apart from the few genuine enthusiasts of those clubs, cares!

Edited by Celtic Roosters
Wrong spelling

On 08/07/2019 at 17:33, Stevoh said:

How much money does 25 'semi-pro' rugby teams cost? As a guestimate, lets say you are looking at paying about 25 players a week for about 30 weeks a year which gives us 750 pay packets. How much would a semi-pro get as an average (including bonuses etc) - £150pw?

That would be £112,500 to find just for player salaries. On top of that there will be coaches, physios, food, kit, travel, insurance etc. Maybe another £50k per team per season?

So costs per season, per team could be £160,000+?

x25 teams = £4m

At League 1 level. Probably triple that for mid table championship. 

17 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I have not been on the forums for a few days so I just logged into this thread because life below Super Greed is my passion, and concerns me. However, after reading the first couple of lines, particularly the "I would like to see 7 new teams" part, I am dismissing as yet another fantasy thread. The game below Super Greed is failing miserably and nobody, apart from the few genuine enthusiasts of those clubs, cares!

Your probably right its only what I would like to see . But there is constant talk on here about new teams like Manchester Rangers , Ottawa and Liverpool  so that's possibly 28 teams . I would be happy with two leagues of 12 below super league but would be sad to lose a club .

Chief Crazy Eagle