Match Thread: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers Saturday 5th October 2019

The Phantom Horseman

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blue Pike said:

Thought unless I’m wrong, our first Floodlights came from the old Hunslets Greyhound Stadium near Elland Road .Remember how embarrassing it was to be not involved in the Televised Rugby Cup which was the Floodlight Trophy cos we didn’t have any ??

I’m pretty sure they were from Hunslet. 

I think the Refs so far in our play off games have been good.They encouraged an open game and Robert Hicks decision last week when Toulouse had two disallowed by losing contact inches from grounding spot on.My only complaint would have been allowing York a bit too much time in the ruck.Saturday night we have about the same chance as we did against Hull F.C. in 82/83 and look what happened then.Like i said before i'm at a gig Saturday night for my birthday so i will have to dodge the score untill early Sunday morning when i will watch the recording before going to bed.Good luck to all the players and coaching team .They have given us a season to remember and rekindle pride in our club.

3 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Thought unless I’m wrong, our first Floodlights came from the old Hunslets Greyhound Stadium near Elland Road .Remember how embarrassing it was to be not involved in the Televised Rugby Cup which was the Floodlight Trophy cos we didn’t have any ??

must have forgot  bramley won it in 73 when they beat wakey away 10-9 c#s at home 13-2 saints at home in semi 13-12 and widnes in the final away 15-7

the 1973 tournament has the distinction of being the only one won by a team without floodlights.
Thanks to the effects of the Three Day Week, perennial strugglers Bramley beat Widnes on the afternoon of Tuesday, December 18 to claim the only trophy in their history, with the final eventually being broadcast at 8.10pm that evening.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

It'll be reight. Fev will do em.?????

But are you ready to go up?? 

Squad will be pretty thin and most players signed to other teams by then

Adds weight to the promoted team getting a years grace in super league

Let's dream and enjoy the moment ?

4 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

I stand corrected, spot on ?

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Neil.... i care not if we are one season wonders. My other two sporting allegiances..... barnsley and partick thistle are scrattin about at the ###### end of their respective leagues.... I'm used to that sh it.??????

Bang on. The question I’ve asked myself is apart from losing limbs and money what would I sacrifice/ give for Fev to win this Saturday,Well I would honestly ask my sons mate for me to wear his Cas shirt on Monday.Thats how much it means to me but alas don’t think we will win.

27 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Bang on. The question I’ve asked myself is apart from losing limbs and money what would I sacrifice/ give for Fev to win this Saturday,Well I would honestly ask my sons mate for me to wear his Cas shirt on Monday.Thats how much it means to me but alas don’t think we will win.

Thats what you said just before that time that you beat us...not buying it for a second.

Seems to me that Fev is running an all around good offence with nice wide ball movement.   The real question of the game will be if Fev can control/handle  the Toronto forwards who are intending to run straight and cause carnage.  The Toronto backs have good defence it seems until about the third breakdown in open play....if Fev can get there then they just might break open some sets.

Watch out for Ricky....he has moved his game into high gear.

20 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Thats what you said just before that time that you beat us...not buying it for a second.

Seems to me that Fev is running an all around good offence with nice wide ball movement.   The real question of the game will be if Fev can control/handle  the Toronto forwards who are intending to run straight and cause carnage.  The Toronto backs have good defence it seems until about the third breakdown in open play....if Fev can get there then they just might break open some sets.

Watch out for Ricky....he has moved his game into high gear.

I think that Toronto are heavy favourites especially with the week off, but there is a chance that last years loss with London might play on their minds. Either way, may the best team win.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One change for the Final with Maskill coming into the 19 and Walters, who had already been announced as out, dropping out.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-make-one-change-for-grand-final-I60hD

if carey fit then well it looks like any two from  three  render maskill or king if not reder plays and it;s one from two maskill or king

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I think that Toronto are heavy favourites especially with the week off, but there is a chance that last years loss with London might play on their minds. Either way, may the best team win.

that's true but all the pressure on them to perform 

having pressure makes you try too hard 

trying too hard makes you make mistakes 

all FEV can do is stick to the game plan and if it's not good enough then it's well done TWP  good look in SL

53 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Think the odds are lousy. Should be 6 or 8/1 imo. Maybe they see it closer than what many believe otherwise.

Was going to have a cheeky tenner but disappointed with the odds. Shame there's no market on Betfair - you can bet on Newtown Jets or Brisbane broncos women but not the mighty Fev, nor TWP.......

We've won all 3 play off games by wide margins and the bookies have been well accommodated by Fev fans on each occasion. To quote us at 6-1 or bigger they'd have to go 1-8 or more Toronto and would end up with a very one-sided book. FWIW I dont think 7-2 is a terrible price considering we have run them close twice this season and didnt have Chisholm (or King) and lost Bussey early last time.

My thinking is that it has been mentioned on here that it would be a bigger shock for us to beat TWP than It was to beat Hull FC in 83 and my Grandfather on the day backed Fev at 33/1 to win. Anyway it is what it is and we’re not gonna change it.Changing the subject we must have brought in a few quid during our play off run in by getting half the gate money especially when it’s possible to get over 10 000 tomorrow night.

23 hours ago, coolie said:

But are you ready to go up?? 

Squad will be pretty thin and most players signed to other teams by then

Adds weight to the promoted team getting a years grace in super league

Let's dream and enjoy the moment ?

Good shout i think the only way promotion to S.L. could work if it was every 2 years.

5 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

My thinking is that it has been mentioned on here that it would be a bigger shock for us to beat TWP than It was to beat Hull FC in 83 and my Grandfather on the day backed Fev at 33/1 to win. Anyway it is what it is and we’re not gonna change it.Changing the subject we must have brought in a few quid during our play off run in by getting half the gate money especially when it’s possible to get over 10 000 tomorrow night.

33/1 were the odds on the start of the Cup rounds.On the day Fev could be backed at 7/2 to 4/1 to  win in 80min. with 12-14 points start on the Handicap priced at 1/1 or 11/10 much the same oddsa as Saturday night.

Archived