Mumby Magic

Musical Artists I don't "get"

If you want two recommendations, Dave's album Psychodrama is great, (from the UK) and NF's new album, The Search (from the USA) are two examples of good albums of rapers that have come out this year.

34 minutes ago, Click said:

If you want two recommendations, Dave's album Psychodrama is great, (from the UK) and NF's new album, The Search (from the USA) are two examples of good albums of rapers that have come out this year.

Typo alert?

Anyhoo...

• Thanks 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

On 21/10/2019 at 09:58, ivans82 said:

While we here can`t listen to T Rex , Duran Duran , Spandau Ballet ,U2 ,Oasis , Jamiraquai ,and any albums entitled Ibiza anthems or the like .

Bolan lost it after Electric Warrior, it was probably too much influence from Tony Viscontie.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

40 minutes ago, Padge said:

Bolan lost it after Electric Warrior, it was probably too much influence from Tony Viscontie.

Visconti *made* Bolan what he was. He then thought he was the star and knew best and ignored Visconti’s advice. Resulting in a career nosedive.

Definitely Pink Floyd. Like rugby union I try to like them every so often - I play Dark Side of Moon - but nope don’t get it. Ty Segall is a more up to date one. Really should like given my music taste but nope leaves me cold. 

15 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Visconti *made* Bolan what he was. He then thought he was the star and knew best and ignored Visconti’s advice. Resulting in a career nosedive.

I think you may have missed my point, Visconti over produced subsequent albums, Bolan was off his trolley and trying to ride his wave of T-rexctaciy  for all it was worth. Slider would have been a far better album had not been over produced.

Visconti did very subtle stuff on Electric Warrior, stuff that Bolan didn't even know he had done, when it came to Slider he pushed the subtle stuff to the front.

Bolan was off his head by then but that is another story.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Sam smith, seriously who the hell told him he can sing?

• Like 1

We zap and maim With the bravery of being out of range We strafe the train With the bravery of being out of range

read through most of this thread and glad to see pink floyd have barely been mentioned class always wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We zap and maim With the bravery of being out of range We strafe the train With the bravery of being out of range

54 minutes ago, my missus said:

read through most of this thread and glad to see pink floyd have barely been mentioned class always wins.

You really enjoy poking old punk rockers with a pointy stick, don't you? :kolobok_wink:

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

New order the thinking mans pet shop boys can’t stand either.

and modern r’n’b, love songs for gangsters without the love or song.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, my missus said:

Sam smith, seriously who the hell told him he can sing?

Eww! Hate speech! So transphobic!!! I think you mean, "who the hell told them they could sing."

Police are probably already on their way to your house to have an official word with you.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, my missus said:

I just take it as read that nobody actually likes Pink Floyd. They just say they do and then put on something fun when no one else is around.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Power ballads , especially ....boys of summer , best years of our lives (which essentially is the same song) ,St Elmos fire , final countdown etc,  all the way back to river deep mountain high , everything that Jim Steinman has had anything to do with , including Bonnie Tyler but especially Meat Loaf .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Power ballads , especially ....boys of summer , best years of our lives (which essentially is the same song) ,St Elmos fire , final countdown etc,  all the way back to river deep mountain high , everything that Jim Steinman has had anything to do with , including Bonnie Tyler but especially Meat Loaf .

How is River Deep Mountain High a ‘power ballad’? A powerful performance ok but not pompous. Phil Spector may be a bit of a loon but I’d struggle to think of a better produced record by him. 

• Like 2

Jackie Wilson. I love a bit of classic soul music in general, but his voice just grates on my eardrums. It has that harsh, back-of-the-throat sound that isn't for me.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Jackie Wilson. I love a bit of classic soul music in general, but his voice just grates on my eardrums. It has that harsh, back-of-the-throat sound that isn't for me.

it was all those fags while playing darts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

On 27/10/2019 at 21:56, Padge said:

I think you may have missed my point, Visconti over produced subsequent albums, Bolan was off his trolley and trying to ride his wave of T-rexctaciy  for all it was worth. Slider would have been a far better album had not been over produced.

Visconti did very subtle stuff on Electric Warrior, stuff that Bolan didn't even know he had done, when it came to Slider he pushed the subtle stuff to the front.

Bolan was off his head by then but that is another story.

My favourite song was Metal Guru. 

That is on Slider so I guess not as subtle?