The Daddy

GB Lions should not have been brought back

5 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

But I still think "GB" means something "more" for the players.

That's why this disaster of a tour has humiliated the name GB so much.

The longer GB goes without playing regularly, the more the memories will fade and the less relevance GB will have.

Next year England will contest the Ashes, and the year after England will play at the World Cup. When I first started watching RL in 1990, GB competed for both of those.

So it's a case of use it or lose it. If you don't play as GB in major competitions, it inevitably becomes less relevant and eventually loses what it once was.

There is nothing magical about GB. It just happened to be the identity that we used to play as in most events. I would imagine that someone who only started watching RL in 2008 has little or no affinity with GB, because they never saw GB play (until now) - other than them perhaps having an appreciation for the history of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

1. It's not the pinnacle...playing for GB in front of a few thousand people doesn't trump playing upfront of 60,000 at Wembley or losing a world cup final by a ankle tap as England..

Very selective. I could just as easily cite some attendances from England fixtures at Leigh Sports Village

2. Iconic and historic ?? GB hasn't won't Owt for 50 effing years!!! What's iconic & historic about that????

By the same logic, England haven't won anything for 50 years either.

Everything bad everyone said about GB coming back has come true...

There's no appetite for it..

No one will travel to watch it...

These failings are due to the poor organisation and planning of the tour at relatively short notice. If you genuinely think it's because they travelled as GB and not England then I think you're kidding yourself

Don't change your view,that's fine...but recognise this...it's attitudes like yours that's ruining this sport.

That's a pretty poor statement. Because somebody sees a value in GB that means they're "ruining the sport"? 

I strongly believe that GB potentially does have a valuable role in the development of the international game and the home nations. And I've previously tried to provide convincing arguments as to why I believe this to be the case on several threads. Unfortunately I haven't been able to persuade people like yourself to change your mind, but conversely, you've never provided a strong enough argument to convince me to change mine. There are always going to be differences of opinions, and people often have to agree to disagree, but to claim that people who hold different views to your own are "ruining the sport" is unnecessary and a little childish.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

There is nothing magical about GB. It just happened to be the identity that we used to play as in most events. I would imagine that someone who only started watching RL in 2008 has little or no affinity with GB, because they never saw GB play (until now) - other than them perhaps having an appreciation for the history of the game.

This is a major issue for me. Every other sport seems to make a virtue of their history and heritage to help build up and provide greater meaning and significance to their major events. The mess that is the international rugby league calendar means that we're far less able to draw on our history and heritage, because our international competitions keep changing and are scheduled so sporadically.

Next year's Ashes will be the first series in 17 years. Ashes series have consistently sold tickets since the 80s, but for some reason we've shelved that competition for the best part of two decades. And we'll now be playing it as England instead of GB. These factors make it very difficult for us to build history and profile around our international events.

I've always believed the Ashes had been stopped because GB/Eng were just unable to compete and it had become a no-contest. Was I wrong?

By the way, although GB's tour was a disaster this season, England is closer than ever and couldn't actually win.

Could.

Not sure will.

Edited by MatthewWoody

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

I've always believed the Ashes had been stopped because GB/Eng were just unable to compete and it had become a no-contest.

Not at all. We did lose the 2003 series 3-0, but there was never more than one score between the teams. I've no idea why we got rid of it. They introduced the Tri Nations the year after, but I was never as big of fan of that or the 4 Nations compared to a 3 match series.

• Like 2

Great Britain is a waste of time. We have a world cup here and we are playing playing as England it's time to bury GB once and for all and focus on building the England brand. This trip has been a disaster on and off the field.

• Like 5

It can be boiled down to one very basic thing.

I aren't *anti* GB, nor do I think most of the critics on here are either.

It's just that it isn't GB, but England. We all can see this obvious point and so can most people. Get some non English players involved and let's have it, brilliant. Until then, be honest and call it England. 

The fact that once there was a team comprised of various countries players touring as GB doesn't mean it validates it today.

It's rather like a guy who was in a school band with Eric Clapton calling a band The Yardbirds and insisting it's a valid name for him to use. 

• Like 3

I would agree with keeping the concept of GB as a touring side if the following happened:

• We played more internationals per year (so we weren't shelving a year of England games and supporting GB instead).

• It wasn't just England in a different shirt.

Without those 2 things, I just don't see the point. It does more harm than good. It doesn't develop the game in the Home Nations, despite the arguments prior keep making that it gives them an opportunity to play at the pinnacle. 

You know what would give them more opportunity to play at the pinnacle? More matches involving the Home Nations! The 4N with Wales and Scotland in were opportunities wasted.

• Like 4

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

12 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I would agree with keeping the concept of GB as a touring side if the following happened:

We played more internationals per year (so we weren't shelving a year of England games and supporting GB instead).

• It wasn't just England in a different shirt.

Without those 2 things, I just don't see the point. It does more harm than good. It doesn't develop the game in the Home Nations, despite the arguments prior keep making that it gives them an opportunity to play at the pinnacle. 

You know what would give them more opportunity to play at the pinnacle? More matches involving the Home Nations! The 4N with Wales and Scotland in were opportunities wasted.

Completely agree with that. 

It's just ridiculous England/GB hasn't played any midseason test! 

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

GB wont exist it 5 years the way Brexit and nicola sturgeon are going.

We made a choice to be England and should stick with it.

Wales development has been outstanding in the last 10-15 years we should encourage that and not force them to be GB

UK you mean. Britain is going to exist for possibly a few more million years. 

For me GB Lions v Australia is the WC Final. They're the only areas of the world that really care about RL to any great degree.  

I'd be okay with seeing the WC scrapped. It's embarrassing comparing the RL WC to the RU one.  

Edited by southwalesrabbitoh
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

For me GB Lions v Australia is the WC Final. They're the only areas of the world that really care about RL to any great degree.  

I'd be okay with seeing the WC scrapped. It's embarrassing comparing the RL WC to the RU one.  

Why compare it to the RU one? The RU one is embarrassing compared to the Football one but I don't hear it's fans complaining.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why compare it to the RU one? The RU one is embarrassing compared to the Football one but I don't hear it's fans complaining.

No it's not embarrassing compared with the FIFA one. Besides don't talk to me about soccer. I watch RU and RL, that's about it. I'm not the only one saying it's embarrassing compared with he RU one. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

It's embarrassing comparing the Rugby Union one to the football one; yet we don't.

• Like 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

6 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

No it's not embarrassing compared with the FIFA one. Besides don't talk to me about soccer. I watch RU and RL, that's about it. I'm not the only one saying it's embarrassing compared with he RU one. 

Yes it is, you don't watch Soccer so don't know.

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes it is, you don't watch Soccer so don't know.

I've watched thousands of hours of soccer, the RU WC is not embarrassing, i suppose you could argue that some of the stuff that goes on on the pitch is, but not the crowds. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I've watched thousands of hours of soccer, the RU WC is not embarrassing, i suppose you could argue that some of the stuff that goes on on the pitch is, but not the crowds. 

So this was a lie what you said:

Besides don't talk to me about soccer. I watch RU and RL, that's about it. 

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

So this was a lie what you said:

Besides don't talk to me about soccer. I watch RU and RL, that's about it. 

At the moment i mainly watch RU and RL. But have watched quite a bit of other sports in the past. Certainly far more soccer than i wish i had. I've coached soccer too. And i'm still a regular listener to the world football phone in on radio 5. 

• Haha 1

The fact threads keep getting hijacked by clowns arguing about what the United Kingdom,Great Britain,British isles ,Ireland's role and brexit says it all...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

14 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The fact threads keep getting hijacked by clowns arguing about what the United Kingdom,Great Britain,British isles ,Ireland's role and brexit says it all...

Just want to get things right regarding the UK. 

As an Aussie i'm not too fussed if it's GB or England, however you can make a decent argument for Great Britain despite the shambles of a tour. 

Often the argument is brought up that it is simply England in a different shirt, however that may not be the case over the next few seasons and imo shouldn't have been this year. 

Morgan Knowles and Regan Grace are 23 and 22 with multiple tests for Wales. Knowles almost certainty would have been picked for Great Britain if not for injury and imo Grace should have been. If their career trajectory continues they could easily be in the top 17 for Great Britain as early as next season. 

Wales last 4 Home Tests have been played in front of crowds of 1257, 902, 1028 and 1253. There is nothing wrong with that for an emerging nation standard. However for 2 elite players in Regan and Morgan that is poor compared to test matches a Great Britain team would be involved in (both crowds and stature). 

On top of that, performance wise Wales is also struggling to match the more elite teams. Again, nothing wrong for an emerging nation, however elite players want to play with other elite players. In 2017 WC, Wales were smashed 50 to 6 against PNG and 72 to 6 against Fiji. You can imagine the kind of score line they would be hit with against the likes of Australia or England. 

Fast forward to the end of the season and Australia are about to play an Ashes Series against England. Morgan Knowles can choose between being a part of a sold out Ashes Series or a low key test in front of 2000 at most. Morgan will play for England (as he has every right to do) and Wales will lose him. Regan Grace who is Welsh born has a similar choice, I have no doubt Regan qualifies for England via residency or some type of grandparent. Either Regan plays for Wales in front of 2000 or in a high profile Ashes series. So Wales lose both players to a rival country, or worse they go to Union. 

If it's Great Britain they can both play in high profile games without needing to change their country. They can play as Wales in WC or even if it's just Great Britain all the time at least they can represent Wales as part of GB. 

Rugby League in Wales is not attractive to players at the moment. The opportunity to play in big games for Great Britain makes it more attractive to players both emerging and senior. Wales can still play games at an emerging level with the Serbia's and Italy's same as England Knights. However the elite players from Wales have an opportunity to play for Great Britain. I also see no reason why an Ashes test for GB can't be taken to Millennium Stadium, just like the 2013 WC that attracted 40,000. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There’s no reason an Ashes game couldn’t be taken to the Millennium stadium, that’s true. But why start playing outside England now when it was never done before ? 

And arguing about players changing nations still doesn’t address the fundamental issue, those countries will never be attractive unless developed into a decent force. But then, why bother if you can just stick any decent players in a GB shirt?

• Like 1

Been quite on posting anything. But that was most uninspiring gb squad I seen for long time.

Hodgson looked ordinary as did widdop while James Graham looks simply done. No doubt lose of markinson, sam and George Burgess did not help.

Hastings is not an international half. I got no doubt it will turn around.

38 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Been quite on posting anything. But that was most uninspiring gb squad I seen for long time.

Hodgson looked ordinary as did widdop while James Graham looks simply done. No doubt lose of markinson, sam and George Burgess did not help.

How is that? 

39 minutes ago, winnyason said:

How is that? 

46 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

How is that? 

He won't dig into line imo he not in same  class as Marshall, Johnson, dce, keary. Tries hard that won't win you test matches with 7 on your back.