John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I have no faith in that happening under Bennett. 

Yes, He has to go now for sure. 

He did well at the WC and last year was a good home series until the last test. His time has gone now, someone else needs to come in with fresh ideas. 

I would like to see Powell or Wane get the Job.

Also focus on players under 28. RL is so physical that it is not going to be wise to hold onto too many older players as the 2021 WC is still a long way off on this brutal game. You can maybe have 3 older players but not 5 or 6 if you want to match the energy of other teams. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Well he can, because those people have managed to catch, have passion and good skill levels all year. He can be blamed for a tedious, backwards game plan thats negated our players strengths, many players out of position, not changing half back combinations that blatantly weren't working, refusing to use the players that did play well, managing to make us worse in each and every 2nd half (his team talks must be a great cure for insomnia), picking a moronic unbalanced squad from the offset, talking rubbish after defeats... Need I go on? 

Not disagreeing with the points about the tactics etc but he won’t have said to them drop the ball, pass the ball into touch miss tackles etc. That is down to the players themselves. Players should be able to generate their own passion they are playing for a rep shirt 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Sick to death of seeing Hodgson kick...

I can't believe he has been allowed to keep kicking, he hasnt created anything fttom any of them. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, St Reatham said:

It’s always easy to criticise and not so easy to praise, but I honestly cannot find any positives for GB from any of the four games. I don’t know where GB, or England, goes from here.

I thought we were OK in the first two games - defended very well against Tonga & NZ in games that could have gone either way. The second performance against NZ was poor and today we've been dreadful.

• Like 3

I know that after this game people will bring out the usual names and say they are past it etc. and McGilvary will be in them but I think he has been the best on the park for Great Britain. Most run metres and twice as many tackle breaks as any other British player. I thought he tried his heart out all night.

• Like 10

So many fascinating International shocks this autumn, however the performances series of games have been the worst I have seen from either Great Britain or England in my lifetime and that includes the nightmares that was the 1999 Tri Nations.  Wayne Bennett did a fantastic job with England for a couple of years but his selections have been odd for Britain especially ignoring the likes of the in form Regan Grace just because he does not fit into Bennett's conservative and safe tactics in addition to putting players out of position. It's as if this was just preparation for the World Cup in two years, a tournament in which I would be surprised if Wayne Bennet will coaching at.

Edited by Nate90
Grammar Error
  • Like 2

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

What should the 9 do, because there is no pure "hooking" role?

Hodgeson has been an excellent player in the NRL.

Do his job at acting half. Not overplay everything and play over your half backs.

It doesnt happen at the top teams. He is doing too much for GB/Eng.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

As always, the order of blame will be:

1. Coach

2. Australians

3. NRL based players

4. The NRL somehow

5. SL based players in order of which club you hate most.

Let's hope we'll have an English coach in the future

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Our kicking game in all 4 matches has been shambolic and unimaginative almost to the point where it seems to have been omitted in any tactical rehearsal GB have had.Only Bennett can take the blame for that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wiganlad said:

Not disagreeing with the points about the tactics etc but he won’t have said to them drop the ball, pass the ball into touch miss tackles etc. That is down to the players themselves. Players should be able to generate their own passion they are playing for a rep shirt 

And yet something has caused these problems, occums razer will tell you it's Bennett. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I know that after this game people will bring out the usual names and say they are past it etc. and McGilvary will be in them but I think he has been the best on the park for Great Britain. Most run metres and twice as many tackle breaks as any other British player. I thought he tried his heart out all night.

Spot on.

• Like 1

I've watch England/GB lose most games since I first watched RL in '88. However in those games the players looked like they wanted to play for the shirt. 

This tour has been the complete opposite. 

• Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Tom Burgess, while he obviously hasn't been on for 80 minutes, has been excellent, hitting hard and making plenty of post-tackle metres. And holding on to the ball, too.

• Like 6

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Just now, Dunbar said:

I do think we should stop using metres made for wingers as a success measure  (versus non-wingers) - they really should be making most metres, that is pretty standard. They often make most carries, and often run from deep on kick returns.

On McGillvary though he will always put un the effort and work hard. He's been decent.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He always puts in a great shift for his country. 

• Like 3

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

Yes, He has to go now for sure. 

He did well at the WC and last year was a good home series until the last test. His time has gone now, someone else needs to come in with fresh ideas. 

I would like to see Powell or Wane get the Job.

Also focus on players under 28. RL is so physical that it is not going to be wise to hold onto too many older players as the 2021 WC is still a long way off on this brutal game. You can maybe have 3 older players but not 5 or 6 if you want to match the energy of other teams. 

Absolutely. I'd personally prefer Powell to Wane as I think I'd rather we play like Cas 2017 than Wigan Waneball. 

Choosing our captain will be interesting - I can't see Graham making 2021 and we shouldn't be going into a home world cup unprepared.

• Like 1

Just now, damp squib said:

Playing the "Superleague Style" of course.

Bringing back old days glory 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

28:10 at the hooter. A massive win for PNG.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Do his job at acting half. Not overplay everything and play over your half backs.

It doesnt happen at the top teams. He is doing too much for GB/Eng.

I do take that point. 6, 7 & 9 have not worked well together.

And of course we were today (like the Tonga game) short of an interchange player from the 1st minute.