Michael Gove and the RL World Cup

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Man of Kent said:

A large majority of people watching wouldn't even have known about the World Cup in 2021, so this is all good. When was the last time a minister spoke about rugby league on breakfast telly?

Pitt the Elder

I'm not a fan of the Tories at all but we should take what we can get and maybe this is a silver lining for the sport.

The biggest problems the game faces for me are: Administration, funding and exposure. At least one, maybe two of these could be helped by the Tory government, depending on how serious they are about trying to retain their support in Northern heartlands.

The fact Gove has mentioned the World Cup is already a positive and suggests there could be swing in exposure, both directly from comments like this and wider in a change in attitude from the media.

I think most people would agree that the media, particularly newspapers, are right wing controlled. The fact that RL and RU have traditionally been split across social class and political lines hasn't been helpful for RL with some papers refusing to even report on the sport. 

If the Tories are serious about being 'one nation' and looking to maintain that working class support, it might not be a surprise to see the media take the shackles off RL and see us get more exposure. With the World Cup being a key event right in the middle of their term I can see there being a big promotional push by the government, particularly if things aren't going great or they have some sinister policy they want to bury. Boris is a fan of the flag waving nationalism approach which ties in nicely with his Brexit approach. The Euros and World Cup are great opportunities for him and Gove's comments aren't by accident.

I doubt we'll get any massive funding increase but the subtle benefits might be quite impactful. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I might be prejudiced but Michael Gove doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would know when the Rugby League World Cup is due, so it is interesting that he would talk about it on TV.  Especially now, I mean they've hardly had time to sort out the photocopier key or where the biros are kept but apparently the House of Commons already has the RLWC Chart on the wall.

Let's see how this one plays out.  It feels a bit like when the new boss starts and at first everyone says he/she seems very nice but you know deep down that it is only a matter of months before you're scanning their diaries to see when they are on leave and isolating any work colleagues you feel have become 'collaborators'.....or is that just me?

With politicians, you shouldn't stress too much whether they are doing something for the right reasons or not. Just be happy when they actually do the right thing, for whatever reason. If they bung the RWC a bit to keep the fans sweet (or at least less than totally hostile), just make sure the cheque doesn't bounce.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The opening serve from Scotchy, vollied straight back by DD and Tommy, has the ball hit the floor for a winner in Scotchy's court or has he returned it over the net! 

You can't volley return a serve in tennis, so unfortunately DD and Tommy have gifted Scotchy the point.

Away from the tennis, I think it can only be a good thing for rugby league if the sport is being talked about by politicians/members of the government.

12 hours ago, themainbrace said:

I might be prejudiced but Michael Gove doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would know when the Rugby League World Cup is due, so it is interesting that he would talk about it on TV.  Especially now, I mean they've hardly had time to sort out the photocopier key or where the biros are kept but apparently the House of Commons already has the RLWC Chart on the wall.

Let's see how this one plays out.  It feels a bit like when the new boss starts and at first everyone says he/she seems very nice but you know deep down that it is only a matter of months before you're scanning their diaries to see when they are on leave and isolating any work colleagues you feel have become 'collaborators'.....or is that just me?

if thats how you view where you work... I'd leave...

On 17/12/2019 at 08:26, bamfordsbeans said:

Watching BBC's Breakfast Show this morning and in an interview with Michael Gove he mentioned that one of Nicky Morgans proirities in her new role was to deliver a successful Rugby League World Cup in 2021.

Amongst all their tasks at the moment I wasn't expecting that.

Is this a thank you for"Workington Man"?

He has to be lying 

On 17/12/2019 at 06:21, Kenilworth Tiger said:

That bloke could single handedly be the biggest backer RL the world has ever seen, single handedly build a new stadium in Cas and I still wouldn't give him the steam off my urine

So you hate the Conservatives more than you love rugby league.

I don't love the Conservatives, and I intensely dislike the Brexiteers. But your attitude is bordering on sick.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:57, scotchy1 said:

Not really very big figures. Less than half a copperbox arena

The northern powerhouse has been about as successful and changing as the 'the big society' 

Up to now the City's have benefitted - Manchester certainly has - it seems the surrounding Towns are next and our new Tory MP will certainly help the RLWC and Leigh of that I am certain. They have something to lose now

11 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

So you hate the Conservatives more than you love rugby league.

I don't love the Conservatives, and I intensely dislike the Brexiteers. But your attitude is bordering on sick.

Where did I mention the Conservatives?

Have a great day xx

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 17/12/2019 at 11:21, Kenilworth Tiger said:

That bloke could single handedly be the biggest backer RL the world has ever seen, single handedly build a new stadium in Cas and I still wouldn't give him the steam off my urine

As opposed to all of the help and assistance incumbent MPs and there governments gave your club and area in the past 100 years ,Just saying .

1 hour ago, Poower Lad said:

As opposed to all of the help and assistance incumbent MPs and there governments gave your club and area in the past 100 years ,Just saying .

what does this have to do with my view of Michael Gove?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Good luck.

They say bitterness is the hardest pill to swallow, 

It may hurt or make you feel uncomfortable to accept that the people you don't want to succeed have suggested they will be doing something positive, will you applaud if it does come good?

Not just you Scotchy, all those who want it to fail just because it's the Tories.

15 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

No I mean it. Good luck. I sincerely hope that in spite of all evidence to contrary Boris Johnson isnt the horrific person he comes across as and his government are great for the country. 

I also sincerely hope for a weekend in a hotel room with Margot Robbie so...

Spoken from your perspective Scotchy, but you are in the minority in your view, now reverse the subject and replace the name with Jezza Corbyn and the majority of the country will agree with you.

Margot Robbie, you would have more chance with that other blond bombshell Robbie Savage.

I doubt there's much in this other than a bit of PR. 

I think generally government strategy on sport has failed. With 2012 Olympics and various other events in a similar period, the idea was 'inspire a generation' and a lot of focus was on attracting and running these events. However, grass roots has struggled and in particular I find the number of schools selling their playing fields concerning. That's an apolitical point - it started under Labour and continued under the Tories. 

Hopefully we see a shift in focus though I doubt it, because it costs more money. It's an issue for society as a whole, we're exercising less and that's costing a lot in health problems. 

Archived