Cumbrian Fanatic

Lizzie Jones Awarded an MBE

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

(yes, the citation says Rugby League, not just rugby) in Wales.

The poor journalist whose career will be ruined for that ‘typo’ 😊

• Haha 1

Good to see recognition for the sport. In a sport like ours, there is such a reliance of volunteers and people who give up so much of their time. Would love to see the sport recognise them more.

I believe that Betfred gave an award at the Grand Final to one such individual, which was great.

• Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: What do the first three rounds of Super League have in common with Theresa May? https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/02/three-rounds-in-what-do-we-know.html

14 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Good to see recognition for the sport. In a sport like ours, there is such a reliance of volunteers and people who give up so much of their time. Would love to see the sport recognise them more.

I believe that Betfred gave an award at the Grand Final to one such individual, which was great.

Yes, they first of all gave £1,000 to local RL volunteers in various regions around the country and then decided on one as the overall winner and who won another £10,000.

That was Fred Halliwell from the Hollinwood amateur club in Oldham ... see this link for details:

https://blog.betfred.com/94255/features/fred-rewarded-as-betfred-super-fan-for-lifetime-dedication-to-rugby/

Lizzie Jones singing 'Abide with Me' at the 2015 Challenge Cup final was one the bravest things I've witnessed.

I'd have awarded her the MBE just for doing that. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Lizzie Jones singing 'Abide with Me' at the 2015 Challenge Cup final was one the bravest things I've witnessed.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think she's shown herself to be a remarkable young woman in many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 posts removed because of unnecessary negativity. Be nice please, and recognise the achievement. If you can’t, why not just keep it shut for this once.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Indeed, as long as I've followed this game I've been impressed by the bravery the players at every level of the game show, but there wasn't a player on the field that day that could hold a candle to Lizzie Jones.

Edited by Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Im going to try and bite my tongue on this one. All I will say is that Danny's immediate family are all involved with another charity that do the same work, a charity that Lizzie was also a part of before deciding for whatever reason to go it alone. They keep doing the brilliant work that they do away from the bright lights while Lizzie uses their ideas to keep her place in the spotlight. For right or wrong she is clearly a very smart business woman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckn said:

3 posts removed because of unnecessary negativity. Be nice please, and recognise the achievement. If you can’t, why not just keep it shut for this once.

if Christmas  and new year are not times to be negative then I don't when is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

5 hours ago, ckn said:

Wouldn't be rugby league without negativity would it ? A richly deserved award for a very brave lady.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im going to try and bite my tongue on this one. All I will say is that Danny's immediate family are all involved with another charity that do the same work, a charity that Lizzie was also a part of before deciding for whatever reason to go it alone. They keep doing the brilliant work that they do away from the bright lights while Lizzie uses their ideas to keep her place in the spotlight. For right or wrong she is clearly a very smart business woman.

I thought I'd better read the above before it gets removed for being negative ! 😉

Edited by RL does what Sky says

8 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I thought I'd better read the above before it gets removed for being negative !

How is stating that she has done well for herself since her husband died a negative comment? 

4 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

How is stating that she has done well for herself since her husband died a negative comment? 

It wasn't your previous comment which was removed that I was referring to - it was the one I quoted and even then only in jest. However, I do agree with you about yours.

Well done Lizzie Jones. I remember her singing before the challenge cup final. That coupled with the work she's done providing defibrillators for clubs. Danny I'm sure would be very proud of her for all she's done. An award very well deserved in my eyes. She is a great ambassador for our game. 

On 28/12/2019 at 17:50, The Blues Ox said:

I think you're being mean spirited.

If I were to die suddenly and my wife were to raise money using my name, I would be delighted if she had half the success that Lizzie has had. Inevitably when you're raising money for charity it's a great help if you can raise your own profile.

Having met Lizzie several times I can't speak highly enough of her.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I think you're being mean spirited.

If I were to die suddenly and my wife were to raise money using my name, I would be delighted if she had half the success that Lizzie has had. Inevitably when you're raising money for charity it's a great help if you can raise your own profile.

Having met Lizzie several times I can't speak highly enough of her.

Don't get me wrong I can see why she is getting the plaudits, as is often the case it only tells part of the story though. As Ive said she is a very smart business woman.